Mounting Satellite Receiver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

I have a space problem in a 42' 5th wheel toy hauler. I know, crazy right. The entertainment cabinet is only 10 1/2 deep. I can't find a suitable location for a satellite receiver! The only thing I could possibally do is extend the shelf the TV is on and maybe that is what will have to be done. By the way, I have not taken possession of the unit yet and it is 250 miles away from my location so I am working and thinking in the dark. I have been reading alot on this forum and am amased at the amount off new, or new to me equipment that is out there.

So, on to my stupid question. I see that the 211k has no moving parts so could I mount it on end behind the TV? I have considered the fact that there will be extra heat in that location and that alone might kill the idea. Also, if it could be mounted in that location would the remote work? IR vs UHF.

I will have more questions if I get any replies to this post so bear with me.

Thanks in advance

Arlan

#2 David S

David S

• Validated Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

Directv receiver H25 is small ( Width 8.66" Height 1.12" Depth 5.75") and is wall mountable.  Receiver has female keyhole slots on the bottom case.  Here is a Amazon wall mount bracket for it. 

http://www.amazon.co...pd_sim_sbs_hg_1

Hope this helps, or at least gives you an idea.

Edited by David S, 04 May 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#3 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3714 posts
  • SKP#:72644

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Since you are a Dish customer the H25 will not do you much good but is a good indication that receivers do not require flat mounting.

You will just want to ensure that the ventilation holes are not blocked.  If you find that there's just not enough air space where you want to mount the receiver you can also add a small computer style fan to keep the air moving and you should not have any problems.

If there is space you may also be able to build a shelf under or near the TV that would allow the extra space.

With that all said, are you sure that's where the manufacturer planned to install the receiver?  The 211K is a not a big receiver so maybe they planned for that receiver to go elsewhere.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#4 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

Directv receiver H25 is small ( Width 8.66" Height 1.12" Depth 5.75") and is wall mountable.  Receiver has female keyhole slots on the bottom case.  Here is a Amazon wall mount bracket for it. 

http://www.amazon.co...pd_sim_sbs_hg_1

Hope this helps, or at least gives you an idea.

Thanks for the information. But, I am not a DTV subscriber. I did not know receiver were that small.

#5 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Since you are a Dish customer the H25 will not do you much good but is a good indication that receivers do not require flat mounting.

You will just want to ensure that the ventilation holes are not blocked.  If you find that there's just not enough air space where you want to mount the receiver you can also add a small computer style fan to keep the air moving and you should not have any problems.

If there is space you may also be able to build a shelf under or near the TV that would allow the extra space.

With that all said, are you sure that's where the manufacturer planned to install the receiver?  The 211K is a not a big receiver so maybe they planned for that receiver to go elsewhere.

Thanks Bill,

I read the specs on the 211k and although it is not a big receiver it is indeed to big for the space provided. I don't think the manufacturer planned for a receiver at all. At least not a full size receiver. I will persue the idea of vertical mounting of a 211k with external hard drive. I love my DVR receivers and think that is about the best part of satellite tv. I need to make the drive to where the 5th wheel is located and see if that is a possible option.

Well, I just read the specs on the 211k from a different source online and it stated the 211k was 10.7" deep. Closer but the cabinet is still only 10.5" deep and with the connections on the back I just don't see the cabinet as an option.

Edited by arlan in arizona, 04 May 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#6 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Does anyone know if the 211k remote be opperated without line of sight?

Edit....I just read the 211k has a IR remote so I guess I just answered my own question. Still thinking...........

Edited by arlan in arizona, 04 May 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#7 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3714 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I believe that there is an RF option avaialble.  However, if not, you can make it RF with the use of some Radio Shack IR to RF adapters for about $100.  I used them for years with great success.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997

#8 Chad Heiser

Chad Heiser

• Validated Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have a 211k receiver that sits in a cabinet that stays closed. I use IR repeaters to get over the line of sight issues with the remote. I bought these from radio shack and they are small and can be mounted in a convenient location for line of sight with the remote and then they repeat that signal to where ever the receiver is. I also installed a set of USB cooling fans in the cabinet to keep the receiver temps in check. I bought these off Amazon. The fans plug into the USB port on the receiver (or TV) for power. I bought a dual fan set up. One fan sucks in cool air and the other blows out the warm air. Both of these items could help if you wanted to hide your receiver behind your TV. I don't see why a 211 couldn't be mounted vertically behind the TV if you used these other devices to keep it cool and get the remote signal to it.

Edited by Chad Heiser, 04 May 2013 - 11:57 AM.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2010 Montana Big Sky 358RLT

#9 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have a 211k receiver that sits in a cabinet that stays closed. I use IR repeaters to get over the line of sight issues with the remote. I bought these from radio shack and they are small and can be mounted in a convenient location for line of sight with the remote and then they repeat that signal to where ever the receiver is. I also installed a set of USB cooling fans in the cabinet to keep the receiver temps in check. I bought these off Amazon. The fans plug into the USB port on the receiver (or TV) for power. I bought a dual fan set up. One fan sucks in cool air and the other blows out the warm air. Both of these items could help if you wanted to hide your receiver behind your TV. I don't see why a 211 couldn't be mounted vertically behind the TV if you used these other devices to keep it cool and get the remote signal to it.

Thanks Chad...This is some useful information.  I am getting on the right track now!

#10 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

If I am using a 211k receiver set up as above mentioned what dish would you guys recomend. I was considering King Dome. Will it work with a 211k? Also I understand that the 211k works with the Dishnetwork Tailgater or similar carry out dish. It would be nice to have the ability to use both. The RV dealer has a satellite installer but the more I talk to him it seems the less he knows so I am thinking about doing this all myself. At present time I have a slide-in camper with a crank-up dish and 512 receiver. I have an A/B switch installed so I can switch between roof dish and what ever is outside on the ground. I have aimed the dish thousands of times over the last 14 years. Actually not the same dish. I had to replace it a couple of times.

#11 Chad Heiser

Chad Heiser

• Validated Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

I currently have a KVH dome mounted on top of my 5er and I also have a Winegard Carryout that I use if I end up parked under some trees.  They both work fine with my 211K receiver.  I simply change the coax connection in my connection center based on which dish I want to use.  Any dome system should work fine.  The only reason I have the KVH mounted on the roof is that it was given to me by a friend.  Before that, I just used the carryout all the time.  If I were to buy my own permanent mount system, I would buy a Winegard Traveler.  (This is why I have the KVH dome, because my friend bought a Traveler and then gave me his old KVH).  The Traveler is definitely the best set up in my opinion, but if you are just using a single 211k receiver, any of the dome dishes (whether portable or permanent mount) will work fine.

Edited by Chad Heiser, 05 May 2013 - 01:26 AM.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2010 Montana Big Sky 358RLT

#12 teacher's pet

teacher's pet

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1010 posts
  • SKP#:81403

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

Another vote for the Winegard Trav'ler instead of a dome. Switched our Kingdome out for a Trav'ler and haven't had near the problems with "Rain Fade" of the signal due to bad weather that we had with the dome. Heavy dew at sometimes could degrade the signal, an added plus, the Trav'ler can pickup HD signals.

Teacher's Pet
'06 40' Phaeton QSH 350 Cat.
'04 R-Vision B+ Model 213, 6.0 Chevrolet.
http://www.skoolzout...er.blogspot.com
http://map.datastorm...3.cfm?user=3912

#13 Clay L

Clay L

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1080 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

i was faced with the same depth problem and cut part of the back panel out to make room for a five disk DVD/CD player and connections.

Worked for me may not for you.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

#14 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

i was faced with the same depth problem and cut part of the back panel out to make room for a five disk DVD/CD player and connections.

Worked for me may not for you.

Unfortunately, there is a pocket door behind the cabinet, otherwise I would be considering it. I will be mounting it vertically behind the TV or I could mount ride beside the TV with connections disappearing behind the TV so they would barely be visible. 

#15 arlan in arizona

arlan in arizona

• Validated Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

So....here is what I have come up with. A 211K receiver mounted either behind the TV or immediately beside the TV. Receiver will be mounted vertically. Also a Western Digital My Book AV Hard Drive for DVR. The coach has 4 TV's in it and they are at least 2 may 3 different brands. Crap! I want to be able to opperate the receiver from the bedroom so I am thinking about a Logitec Harmony 900 Remote. It comes RF ready and although I don't have that many devices in the unit to control I think it will be worth the money just to simplify things. I am leaning towards a dome as opposed to the Trav'ler. I am used to a crank-up single LNB single satellite on the road now so this will be an improvement over what I have now

What I would like is a Trav'ler and two Vip722 Receivers but the receivers are not really an option unless I want a couple of really big shelves. Any how would one fasten them to an RV wall. All this said and done. I am not going to be full timing it in this toy hauler and time would be better served out riding or editing the hours of video I have already taken. Or I could forget the whole thing and buy a book or two. LOL

Again, I want to thank everyone for the help. I have gained some knowledge from a great group of people on a great forum. Any more ideas are more that appreciated.

Arlan

#16 Bill Adams

Bill Adams

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3714 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

You can just get a couple of pieces of alum and create a Z shape of the right thickness.  Drill on hole that will allow you to screw it to the wall.  4 pieces on the corners will do.  You can also use some strapping (I have used thick Velcro but any sort of sturdy strapping) which you wrap around the front of the receiver and put a screw into the wall top and bottom.  Two straps work fine.

I have a Harmony remote and absolutely love it.  You can set it up for your receiver as well as a separate setup for each TV in the RV.  Just carry it around with you and tell it which TV you are using.  I just had a regular harmony for my living area and a satellite receiver set to work with the other TV's at each TV.  If you install the receiver on the side wall you may find that the IR remote works if there is any space between the TV and the wall making things really easy.  Then, you buy the Radio Shack IR repeater and place one in the bedroom and using the included Dish remote you will be able to turn the TV on and off and control the receiver from that location as well.

Lot's of options out there so relax, have fun and when you get your new baby you will be able to set something up pretty quickly.

Bill Adams
Full timer since 1997