Amazon CamperForce

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 ezspdr

ezspdr

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I have my phone interview with Amazon tomorrow night.  Hope everything goes well.  Can anyone offer any suggestions on the interview?  Looking to work in Fernley NV for the holiday. :D

Dick and Lynn

Started RVing 2012

2011 Keystone 35' Sprinter TT

2007 Chevy 2500 HD/6.0l 

#2 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4615 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

If it's anything like our interviews last year, it's nothing to stress over.  They'll probably tell you about the requirements of various positions, mainly WALKING a LOT with no place to sit other than at break and lunch.  They may briefly describe some of the positions.  They'll probably ask you if you have any limitations based on what they described.  They might ask you if you think you have any idea of whether any of the positions may be a good fit for you based upon their descriptions.  And it's a time for you to ask most any question you want.  They'll probably tell you about the shifts, pay, end of season bonus, and Amazon discounts.

If you've been reading up on working at Amazon, you may already have a good idea of how a lot of that works already.

The interviews we had took maybe 10 minutes total between me and my wife and was very pleasant. 

Relax.  :)

Brian

#3 ezspdr

ezspdr

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

If it's anything like our interviews last year, it's nothing to stress over.  They'll probably tell you about the requirements of various positions, mainly WALKING a LOT with no place to sit other than at break and lunch.  They may briefly describe some of the positions.  They'll probably ask you if you have any limitations based on what they described.  They might ask you if you think you have any idea of whether any of the positions may be a good fit for you based upon their descriptions.  And it's a time for you to ask most any question you want.  They'll probably tell you about the shifts, pay, end of season bonus, and Amazon discounts.

If you've been reading up on working at Amazon, you may already have a good idea of how a lot of that works already.

The interviews we had took maybe 10 minutes total between me and my wife and was very pleasant. 

Relax.  :)

Brian

Thanks Brian I appreciate the input.  

Dick and Lynn

Started RVing 2012

2007 Chevy 2500 HD/6.0l 

#4 Claudia & Wayne

Claudia & Wayne

• Validated Members
  • 389 posts
  • SKP#:98714

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Like Brian said, very easy interview and once you are offered a position, expect lots of additional mailings. Some things like proof of high school graduation, willingness to undergo a background check, drug screening (they pay for you to do this weeks before you actually start).

If you haven't already, you may wish to set up a folder called AMAZON 2013 CAMPERFORCE. or similar as you'll want to be able to find something when needed. I just checked my e-mails for 2012 season and I had 49. Then there are applications you may wish to save for later modifying next year or other, also you'll have to sign a proprietary agreement and send it to them before your start date.

Depending upon what position you work, you may volunteer for OT NTE 60 hours a week. Many of us looked at the Amazon job as a good place to earn extra money for diesel fuel as well as meet folk we still keep in touch with, several that have been doing the Amazon thing for four or five years.

Amazon is very proactive with their Camperforce program and we've already accepted offers for this forthcoming season.

C&W

Claudia & Wayne
Lifetime 98714

45' of Newmar dragging around a Crown Vic

#5 ezspdr

ezspdr

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Like Brian said, very easy interview and once you are offered a position, expect lots of additional mailings. Some things like proof of high school graduation, willingness to undergo a background check, drug screening (they pay for you to do this weeks before you actually start).

If you haven't already, you may wish to set up a folder called AMAZON 2013 CAMPERFORCE. or similar as you'll want to be able to find something when needed. I just checked my e-mails for 2012 season and I had 49. Then there are applications you may wish to save for later modifying next year or other, also you'll have to sign a proprietary agreement and send it to them before your start date.

Depending upon what position you work, you may volunteer for OT NTE 60 hours a week. Many of us looked at the Amazon job as a good place to earn extra money for diesel fuel as well as meet folk we still keep in touch with, several that have been doing the Amazon thing for four or five years.

Amazon is very proactive with their Camperforce program and we've already accepted offers for this forthcoming season.

C&W

Thanks for the help guys.  I will have to start looking for that kind of info.  Stay safe!

Dick and Lynn

Started RVing 2012

2007 Chevy 2500 HD/6.0l 

#6 ezspdr

ezspdr

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Well I never received the first scheduled call from Amazon so I emailed them to let them know.  They scheduled another for this past Sunday at 8PM.  I waited until 10:30PM and no call again. What's going on?  Is this the way they do business?  They are supposed to reschedule again.  

Dick and Lynn

Started RVing 2012

2007 Chevy 2500 HD/6.0l 

#7 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18724 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

You have to prove you graduated from High School to work at Amazon?  How the heck would I do that? That was so long ago that I can barely remember it. NO ONE has ever asked me that and I have worked at many positions......so I guess that leaves out Amazon....(did not want to work there anyway - I can make more with less work in an RV park).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#8 tworootless

tworootless

• Validated Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

You have to prove you graduated from High School to work at Amazon?  How the heck would I do that? That was so long ago that I can barely remember it. NO ONE has ever asked me that and I have worked at many positions......so I guess that leaves out Amazon....(did not want to work there anyway - I can make more with less work in an RV park).

This was only one of a few reasons we decided we would not make a good match some years ago.  I did go through the motion of getting my collage transcripts but my wife's native country of New Zealand wouldn't cooperate.  Claimed they wouldn't know where to look for records that far back!  

#9 PETE & PAT

PETE & PAT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1164 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

I wouldn't know how to prove I graduated either.  My high school diploma is buried somewhere in a storage tote in Michigan.  And it's been so many years (before computers we standard use) that I doubt there are any grade transcripts stored on a computer anywhere.

Seems odd to ask people our age for the same type of things they need from a young hire.    Life experience up to this point should automatically count as high school graduation.  Test me on spelling, math, that I know English etc - but graduation??

Pat DeJong

#10 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4615 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

I don't know why they require a HS diploma (or GED).  It's not usually a big deal.  I have a wallet sized laminated copy of my HS diploma that I've had since the big day way back when. 

Brian

#11 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4615 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

..  Test me on spelling, math, that I know English etc - but graduation??

I had almost forgotten about it, but...  they do.  :)

It's not a hard test...  unless you can't read, follow simple directions or do simple math.

If the diploma is buried somewhere in a storage unit far, far away or if the school you went to no longer exists, it wouldn't hurt to have a chat with one of the recruiters to see if there's a way to satisfy the requirement other than the typical ways. 

Brian

#12 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18724 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

If the diploma is buried somewhere in a storage unit far, far away or if the school you went to no longer exists, it wouldn't hurt to have a chat with one of the recruiters to see if there's a way to satisfy the requirement other than the typical ways. 

Brian

Why bother?  There are LOTS of jobs out there. That pay better and involve better working conditions.  I have no idea how I would ever prove I'm a HS graduate? I'm sure as heck not going to try to get something from the HS I graduated from in the 60's. I have no trouble finding work.

This is the same reason I would never workamp for Escapees. They simply make it too hard, and there are better workamping jobs.  Unless things have changed a LOT.

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#13 K-Man

K-Man

• Validated Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

...I can make more with less work in an RV park.

I'd sure like to know where/how you do that.  The most I've seen advertised for pay at an RV park has been ~$9/hr.  I've not seen any jobs avail that pay more than $10/hr and at fewer hours than the 40.  Any info you could supply in that respect would be most helpful.

#14 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4615 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Why bother?  There are LOTS of jobs out there. That pay better and involve better working conditions.  I have no idea how I would ever prove I'm a HS graduate? I'm sure as heck not going to try to get something from the HS I graduated from in the 60's. I have no trouble finding work.

This is the same reason I would never workamp for Escapees. They simply make it too hard, and there are better workamping jobs.  Unless things have changed a LOT.

Jack, I am interested in learning a little more about what you would consider good jobs that pay better and have better working conditions.  I'm not arguing.  But I haven't found the jobs you are talking about.

Gate Guarding pays very well but the working conditions are too much for me.  I'd rather work at Amazon.  Lots of volunteer positions that maybe have really nice working conditions but don't pay much of anything. 

I know you have some expertise in wifi systems that others don't and may have some tech skills that others don't.  And that may open doors to you that wouldn't be open to others.

But seriously, I'd like to know more about these great jobs.  If you want to be more specific than what you'd want to put on an open forum, please feel free to PM me.  We don't have anything lined up between now and our next season at Amazon and we're just about "traveled out" for the time being. 

Genuinely interested if you want to elaborate further.

Brian

#15 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18724 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

If you have good skills I have not found any problem getting a workamping job for 10+ an hour. It depends on your level of responsibility. Campground management is one such job. Although I have been paid as much or more for just workamping. But I do have some skills that are useful to campgrounds. I never take a job that is not all hours paid, either. Along with all the amenities. The campgrounds get their money's worth :)  I'm not saying every campground is like this...you have to look. But I've not had any problem. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

#16 tworootless

tworootless

• Validated Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

If you have good skills I have not found any problem getting a workamping job for 10+ an hour. It depends on your level of responsibility. Campground management is one such job. Although I have been paid as much or more for just workamping. But I do have some skills that are useful to campgrounds. I never take a job that is not all hours paid, either. Along with all the amenities. The campgrounds get their money's worth :)  I'm not saying every campground is like this...you have to look. But I've not had any problem. 

Taken from your web-site.  "Since 2005 we have worked at Diamond Campground in Woodland Park, CO. For us, it is a great place to work with lots to do during our free days."Jack I'm not looking to bang heads.  By you saying you've never found a problem finding a Wking job for $10.00 an hour nor ever taken a non paying job "  (Volunteering) At Arches National Park" is sort of misleading to folks that are looking to Workamp and not return to the same place year after year.  According to your web-site you've been returning to the same park for eight years.  Naturally the owner should be compensating you a bit more then seasonal Workampers.  

#17 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18724 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

is sort of misleading to folks that are looking to Workamp and not return to the same place year after year.  According to your web-site you've been returning to the same park for eight years.  Naturally the owner should be compensating you a bit more then seasonal Workampers.  

I stand by what I said. We worked other places as well as Diamond.  Why do you think one can not find a decent job? You just have to be selective and not take jobs where they want 20 hrs for the site. There are an adequate number of jobs that pay for all hours. HOWEVER, you do have to have some skills that they want. Minimum wage is now close to $7.50 everywhere. It really is not hard to find a job for more than that. Again, you have to be selective, and you have to have skills. Like any job. If you just want to ride a golf cart 2 hours a day then one is compensated accordingly. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

#18 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4615 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Jack, two questions come to mind:

1) Are you looking for jobs in Workamper News or do you have other places you look?

2) What skills do you believe are particularly valuable to the types of positions that might be considered "better" and higher paying?

Brian

#19 tworootless

tworootless

• Validated Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

There are, and we have had a number of higher then normal paying Workamping positions in our 12 year run. Most found through the magazine.  Managing Pumpkin and Christmas trees lots, managing 10,000 sq.ft Spirit Halloween stores, managing restaurants in upscale resorts along with managing RV parks,  In actual fact, when you calculate the time involved, plus hard labor, many of these high end paying positions boiled down to less the $4 bucks an hour. Sometimes that minimum wage position is worth much more then a difficult to find $10.00 an hour job. 

I guess I'm missing the point you're trying to make Jack.  If you worked at other parks before Diamond in '05 perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing the names of  these higher paying parks with other higher then average skilled Workampers :)  

Edited by tworootless, 10 April 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#20 inkblots84

inkblots84

• Validated Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

For people with experience at Amazon, is the work as physically demanding as they describe? The pay sounds great but the job description sounds... less than fun. And do they actually ask for proof of graduation? I've seen that on tons of job applications but never once in my life (or the wifes) been asked to produce documentation or even for a phone number to our high schools - name and address always seems to be enough. What is the "employee discount?" Does that apply to certain purchases? I'm not eligible to work at Amazon (disabled) but the wife was interested for when we're on the road next year.