Walmart Straight Talk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sailor Dave

Sailor Dave

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

Is anyone using or had experience using Straight Talk cell phone service from Walmart? The price looks right, no contract and they use T-Mobile and Version networks.

D

Ford F350, Supercab, 4x4, 6.2L, 4.30 axle, DRW, slide in camper package, 13,300 GVWR. AF 1150, wet bath, solar.

#2 moisheh

moisheh

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

Ok if you do not use much data. There are only a few smart phones that are Verizon. If you use too much data or use it as a hotspot they will kill your service.

Moisheh

#3 Desolation Roe

Desolation Roe

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1919 posts
  • SKP#:106407

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Is anyone using or had experience using Straight Talk cell phone service from Walmart? The price looks right, no contract and they use T-Mobile and Version networks.

D

We use their international plan that includes calling Canada among many others. Works great for 60 bucks for 30 days prepaid. I have the SIM only, we cut it down to use in my personal unlocked iPhone 5 when we are in the USA.

Geo

George, Karen and Bubbles
2008 Volvo 780, 535hp 1850lb/ft D-16 I-Shift, 3.42
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3

2014 Ford Expedition Limited

#4 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4613 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

A lot depends on just what you want to do and how you use your phone.  Some might also depend upon the area you're using it in.

We had StraightTalk for over a year and were pretty happy with it.  Talk and text worked great.  We never used enough to buy any more than the "All you need" plan at $30/mo as we never came close to either 1000 minutes of talk or 1000 texts.  The "smartphone" part of our phones really wasn't worthy of even mentioning, though.  It was 1XRTT only and barely even worked.  Also, the phones didn't support some of the programs needed to view numerous websites.  (We were unable to access our Hotmail accounts and could not view the Escapees forums.)  Those were older phones and on the Verizon PREPAID network. 

You also have to bear in mind that the PREPAID network is probably considerabliy less than the full paid 2 year contract type network coverage.  We found out when we went to work at Amazon this past fall that StraightTalk had no coverage in most of central Kentucky.  Oops.  (The other place we found out that it doesn't work is going through Hagerstown, MD.  I'm sure there are other places, those are just what stuck out to us.  Both of those places would have worked with standard full contract version Verizon phones.)

When we got to Kentucky and discovered that our StraightTalk phones were worthless, we got a couple of Tracfones on the AT&T network.  They worked out pretty good in Kentucky but don't seem to have the coverage that the Verizon network has in other places that we go.  But the pricing on the Tracfones fit us even better than the StraightTalk phones because we just don't talk that much.  We never used $30/mo worth of service that the StraightTalk phones have a minimum of and the Tracfones don't necessarily lose their minutes at the end of the month.  BUT...  any kind of internet connection on that phone is also pretty much worthless.  I've tried quite a few times and get very, very little use out of it.  Most of the time, it loses it's connection before it actually does anything at all and is happy to deduct a couple of minutes from my time.  To me, totally worthless.

As much as I despise contracts, I'm seriously considering going back to a Verizon contract and a REAL smartphone with the thought of replacing a large portion of my computer usage with a phablet.  (Sure like that Samsung Galaxy Note 2... but haven't quite taken the step yet.) 

I wish the prepaid phones had worked better for me.  It was ultimately the coverage, or lack thereof, that caused me to look for something else.

I have not tried any of the real smartphones that are available now with StraightTalk.  I saw some iPhones the last time I was in Walmart.  But if they don't work any better than the previous ones I've used, they won't give you much real internet service either.  I'm sure others will chime in on that one if they've tried it.

Best of luck as you get it figured out for what will work for you.  Just sharing my own experience, which may be different than someone elses.

:)

Brian

#5 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 746 posts
  • SKP#:109233

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

I have a Samsung Note 2 on Straight Talk. I bought an unlocked phone designed to work on AT&T and bought a Straight Talk SIM card. My wife has a T-mobile phone (waiting for the contract to run out). I get better service with the Straight Talk plan. It costs me around $50 (including all fees and taxes) for unlimited talk, text, and internet. I'll be switching my wife's phone next year when the contract runs out.

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#6 Sailor Dave

Sailor Dave

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well, I have no need for a data plan as I use Millenicom for the laptop. The phone will be just voice and text. Currently I use about 500 minutes a month and maybe 300 text messages. Oh, and perhaps a few dozen MMS.

I think Straight Talk does use different providers, depending on where you purchase the phone. Just getting more info on that from a person on another forum. Another possibility suggested is Good2GO.

Just another learning curve. LOL

Ford F350, Supercab, 4x4, 6.2L, 4.30 axle, DRW, slide in camper package, 13,300 GVWR. AF 1150, wet bath, solar.

#7 CasitaAdventurer

CasitaAdventurer

• Validated Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I use Verizon service for my telephone needs and also use their MiFi for secured mobile internet. 

I recently discovered and tested the WiFiRanger Mobile and found it to be a simple and effective way to boost available open WiFI signals for my use.

It has saved me money by enabling me to use my Verizon plan with data limits for secured transactions (like banking) and for all non-secured internet usage (netflix streaming, web surfing, etc),  I use the WIFIRanger if open Wifi is available.

An overnight at a Crackerbarrell Restuarant gave me multiple open signals to choose from. I also like that it captures WIFI from McDonalds, etc. in outside parking lots without the need to go inside for my internet transactions.  ( I still spend plenty of money there).

Overhear, "I am not stealing their internety signal, it is invading my RV."

https://www.wifiranger.com/

Edited by CasitaAdventurer, 23 March 2013 - 11:37 AM.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain

Gallery

#8 Terrya

Terrya

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

We have two phones using ST, a Samsung Galaxy S2 on AT&T towers, and a dumbphone using Verizon.  Where one doesn't have coverage, the other usually does.  Check the coverage maps before you buy.  Customer service usually gets poor reviews but my experience has generally been good.  We buy our refills on line for $28 and $40.49 (no taxes or add on fees) for the All You Need and Unlimited plans, from RefillMobi.com. You can buy them in advance so service is always extended into the next month.

I would recommend if you want to go with the Unlimited plan that you buy an unlocked AT&T or T Mobile phone (if coverage is good in your area).  ST blocks any software upgrades on the phones that they sell, whereas on the unlocked phones you can upgrade the software.

#9 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Terrya: Wow. Thanks for the tip about refilmobi.com. I just paid for the next month a week ahead of the auto refill and saved $10! Is the price always the same or should I put a few extra months on the service? It normally costs about $10 more including sales tax.

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#10 Terrya

Terrya

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Price with Refillmobi.com is usually the same or +/- $1 BUT sometimes they run out and you might have to wait a week or two or three for the refills to become available again, especially the $30 plan.

#11 Sailor Dave

Sailor Dave

• Validated Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Contacted ATT and got the unlock code for my SIM cell phone so that will open up more choices for me. If I change the SIM card, say with Good2GO or someone else, will it also change my current phone number?

#12 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

The SIM card contains the phone number. If you want to keep the same number, you'll need to port it. I use Google Voice so I don't really care about the underlying phone number from Straight Talk. No one uses it.

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#13 solo sailor

solo sailor

• Validated Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Two years ago, I switched from AT-T to Virgin Mobile no contract on the Sprint Network. Currently have the HTC EVO V 4G phone. $ 35.00 per month gets me 300 minutes plus unlimited everything else. Although I have two laptops, and a Nexus 7, I seem to use the phone most of all. Daily use includes Email, surfing the Euro-zone newspapers, and texting the grandkids. Two times I ran out of signal, both up in the NC mountains. My wife's AT-T was also out on one of those days. On our next trip I'll try out the WI-FI hotspot feature, it costs an extra $15.00 per month, pay only for the month that you need it. All in all, I'm quite happy with it. 

#14 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1645 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

We use their international plan that includes calling Canada among many others. Works great for 60 bucks for 30 days prepaid. I have the SIM only, we cut it down to use in my personal unlocked iPhone 5 when we are in the USA.

Geo

We Google Voice to place our cell calls to Canada at no charge. Tracfone also gives a few Canadian phone numbers that friends can use to call us from Canada at no cost. The downside is that we do not have cell service in Canada itself, except in a few areas near the border where our Verizon based phones still work.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS

Bigfoot Auto Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#15 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18717 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

To those using Google Voice exclusively - have you had any outages?  I have an account, but do not use it as my primary.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#16 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

To those using Google Voice exclusively - have you had any outages?  I have an account, but do not use it as my primary.

Not that I've noticed.

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#17 Skyking

Skyking

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Dave, I have an iPhone 5 and use straighttalk unlimited talk, text, and web. The phone is a CDMA which uses the Verizon towers. My wife uses a iPhone 4S with Verizon. Any place we have been, where she had service, I had the same service voice, text and data as her phone did. She can use hers as a hot spot,but I can not.
A gsm phone uses AT&T and other service.
My son had a iPhone 4, that was out of contract with at&t. He called at&t support and they gave him the codes to unlock the phone and put a sim card to use for straightalk. I used that iphone4, (gsm -at&t), but in my area AT&T does not work too well. Sky

Edited by Skyking, 24 March 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#18 jilm

jilm

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts
  • SKP#:76535

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

@skyking....how do you use a iphone5 with straight talk...did you unlock it?

#19 Skyking

Skyking

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yes they can be unlocked or you can buy one from the apple store. Get the iphone 5 cmda version for verizon and it can be used with a sim card all over the world. we do have a gsm at&t that is unlocked also, but at the previous post, at&t in this area is not very usuable. Walmart did have the iphone 5 cmda version version for $649, 16 gig for $649, 26 payments of $25, no interest, or you can get the iphone 4s for $449 or 499, I think. These are ready to go without the sim card, just buy the $45 unlimited plan and you are in business. I had a little glitch on my first iphone 5 that was bought at walmart, took it to apple and they replaced it with a new one and reprogrammed it on the spot. sky 

Edited by Skyking, 25 March 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#20 jilm

jilm

• Validated Members
  • 412 posts
  • SKP#:76535

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

@skyking....I did not even know one could buy a iphone5 at walmart ...so I think you have just bought the phone outright and then changed the sim card to go with straight talk right?  I might be interested in something like that....