• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 maggie blair

maggie blair

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts
  • SKP#:112776

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Does anyone know if I could tow a Honda Fit with all four wheels down without doing anything extra to the car? Thanks so much!Maggie
Maggie Blair

#2 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2534 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

The best place to look for an answer to your question is your owner's manual which usually has a section entitled something like "recreational vehicle towing." Another reliable source is the Remco Towing website which has towing information on many vehicles. If you are an FMCA member you can access the appropriate year's Dinghy Towing Guide at the FMCA website.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#3 Tralika

Tralika

• Validated Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Here is a link to the Honda website owners section. You can download a copy of the Owners Manual for any year of Honda model, including the Fit. I've looked at the Fit as well. The 2012 and 2013 models can be towed 4-down with manual or automatic transmission but it is limited to 65mph. I've been able to download the Owners Manual for any car that has attracted my interest by just doing a simple web search with the make model and owners manual in the search engine. Before you put any money down I would contact the manufacturer and make sure you are looking at the latest issue of the Owners Manual, sometimes they update the manuals.

http://owners.honda....=2013&model=Fit

John & Karen

Wallace Lake Alaska

Thor Challenger 36FD

Fiat 500 TOAD

#4 Jim2

Jim2

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 938 posts
  • SKP#:89477

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

according to the published Dinghy Towing Guides available on the internet (Motorhome Magazine), both the manual & auto versions of the Honda Fit are towable 4 down. However, you must follow Honda's specific pre-towing proceedure which is in the owners manual. I would have some concern about ground clearance. But that depends on where & how you tow it.
Jim

#5 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2882 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

We know many people towing Fit's and they tow just fine. Most 4-down towable vehicles now have towing procedures, including Jeep, and even many manual transmissions since they are not your parents manual transmissions. Our Chevrolet Equinox is actually easier than our old Honda CRV even though it is 5 minutes instead of 3. The CRV required going through the gears after stopping, so we had to be mostly hooked up, while the Equinox just has to run for 5 minutes, which can start before it is hooked up.
Newmar Dutch Star DP towing Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#6 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7447 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

When you say with doing anything extra, do you mean at the time of towing, or when you first set it up for towing, because I believe that all of the cars are going to require you to spend money to get a base plate attached to the vehicle, so that you can hook up, as well as getting and prepping whatever secondary stopping assist that you get.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#7 maggie blair

maggie blair

• Validated Members
  • 28 posts
  • SKP#:112776

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks so much for the responses. I am trying to make it as simple as possible as I travel alone with my two pups and don't want to spend much time hooking and unhooking a vehicle. I appreciate all of your thoughts on this process and the suggestions as well.
thanks again Posted Image
Maggie Blair

#8 OHVRanger

OHVRanger

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

With a vehicle as small as the fit, (much like our mini) unless you can easily lift the towbar, I would look at the towbars that remain on the coach. You don't want to leave that heavy towbar hanging out on the front of such a small vehicle. WillPosted Image

Fulltiming off and on since the 70's
Now steady since 2000
http://www.smashword...view/willdecker

#9 AffinityBob

AffinityBob

• Validated Members
  • 137 posts
  • SKP#:109334

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

The current Honda Fit is towable as is. Our neighbour two doors down tows one. And I have been to the local Honda dealer in the last three months and they told me the Fit was towable.

Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity 42' tag
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Airdale Terrier

#10 AC7880

AC7880

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1424 posts
  • SKP#:101097

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

We tow a 2012 Honda Fit with auto trans. We use this cheat sheet:

Perform the following each day immediately
before towing. Otherwise severe automatic
transmission damage will occur.

Ensure transmission fluid is correct.
(see page 261). Do not overfill.

1. Hookup to tow bar and light cord.

2. Start the engine. With engine running:

3. Press on the brake pedal. Move
the shift lever through all positions.

4. Shift to the D position and hold for
five seconds, then to N.

5. Let the engine run for 3 minutes in N,
then turn it off. (tow in N).

6. Put key in accessory position, release park brake.

Severe transmission damage will occur
if the vehicle is shifted from reverse to
neutral and then towed.

Repeat process every 8 hours for extended towing.

Edited by AC7880, 06 March 2013 - 11:21 PM.

Dan - SKP club member

1994 Bluebird BMC 37'
http://2toomanycats.blogspot.com/

#11 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21072 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

Does anyone know if I could tow a Honda Fit with all four wheels down without doing anything extra to the car?

What has been said might be just a little bit misleading. If you look into the owner's manual, there are instructions on what to do each time you begin to tow, just as is true for the Honda CR-V such as we towed for 10 years. It is a very minor thing and understand that all vehicles require that you do something to tow them in addition to hooking to the motorhome.

What nobody has mentioned here however, is that to tow any vehicle you must first buy and install what is called a base-plate that the tow bar attaches to. This device and the tow-bar will usually cost around $1000 by the time that it is installed and ready for use. It is important to realize this and you also need to have some sort of towing lights on the vehicle which can range from a set of magnetic lights to put on the rear and connect to the motorhome, all of the way to a set of lights that are installed into the existing lenses and that connect to the motorhome. In addition, for safety reasons you should also choose one of the many different axillary brake systems for towing and get it installed into the Fit. This can add an additional $500 to $1000 in cost for preparation.

Those of us here mostly understand those things but we sometimes forget that new RV folks may not realize this and it is important for you to understand that there is no motor vehicle that you can buy which needs no modification at all, unless some previous owner has added that equipment. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#12 aunut

aunut

• Validated Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

I just had my CRV rigged at Camping World. I purchased all the parts online, including the base plate($399), Even Brake(Craigslist) $400 + $150 for a second vehicle kit because the seller didn't have those parts, a kit including all safety cables and wiring (about $210) and a Falcon II tow bar I found for $480. All parts were new except the Even Brake(hardly used). All total, with labor, was around $2,500(labor was close to $800, which included a second vehicle kit installation for the Even Brake).

(There were a few small misc. parts I had to buy).

I bought just about everything before I even found a CRV, but I knew about what year I would buy. Tows great and I love it.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.