• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Joy

Robert Joy

• Validated Members
  • 74 posts
  • SKP#:96051

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have a storage door on my 5th wheel and it used to have gas struts that worked just great until a year old when the screws holding the struts on the door gave way as they were simply fastened into the wood or pressed wood, not a good design, good idea, just not practical.
I have tried to screw into the inside door to put a wood support across the inside but I am having difficulty in drilling into whatever is on the other side of the front face piece.
Does anybody have any idea as to what and how these door are constructed? What is in between the outside part and the inside wood? I do not know what is in between and am struggling to place a aluminum support on the inside so I can then screw the gas struts on to. (I've given up on the wooden idea)
I have tried 3 different so called RV Repair guys and all have inspected and said they will be back to repair it and none have ever returned, this is since Nov 2012, I'm getting so fed up
http://www.takingthe5th.com

Newbie with 50 years RV experience, willing to learn from more experienced others, learn something new everyday.
Thoughts are real, be careful what you think about.
Escapees Care Web Master.

#2 aeromax

aeromax

• Validated Members
  • 274 posts
  • SKP#:115806

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

I would say foam insulation thats what i find behind everything LOL

I have a storage door on my 5th wheel and it used to have gas struts that worked just great until a year old when the screws holding the struts on the door gave way as they were simply fastened into the wood or pressed wood, not a good design, good idea, just not practical.
I have tried to screw into the inside door to put a wood support across the inside but I am having difficulty in drilling into whatever is on the other side of the front face piece.
Does anybody have any idea as to what and how these door are constructed? What is in between the outside part and the inside wood? I do not know what is in between and am struggling to place a aluminum support on the inside so I can then screw the gas struts on to. (I've given up on the wooden idea)
I have tried 3 different so called RV Repair guys and all have inspected and said they will be back to repair it and none have ever returned, this is since Nov 2012, I'm getting so fed up

89 peterbilt 372 (the helmet) COE 3406 b 450 hp eaton fuller roadranger 18 speed 150,000 orignal miles A.K.A. DARTH HELMET
2006 40 foot alfa toyhouse
2010 smart passion red with black tridion cell A.K.A. the GERBLE

#3 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 22199 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

I had a similar problem on one RV which we owned several years ago and solved it by using a combination of "Liquid Nail" and also a bunch of small screws in several different locations to attach a 1/4" plywood layer to the inside of the door. I then attached an aluminum strip to the side of the door where the gas shock attaches that ran the length of the door and connected the shock to that. I hope that will work for you as this lasted for me for several years and was that way when I sold the RV. Over time, I put that fix on a total of three bay doors.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg