25 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Since our new truck (a Volvo 780) is almost completed I'm advertising our current truck for sale. It is available once we pick up our new one.

1999 Volvo 610

• Cummins ISM 400 hp/1450 torque
  • 613,000 miles in January 2013
  • Autoshift transmission (only clutch on stop or start)
  • Full hauler body with lots of storage (built by Herrin Haulers)
  • Trailersaver hitch with third airbag for 7500lb pin weights
  • Two new seats
  • Air/hydraulic (BluDot) OR electric trailer connections (Hensley TruControl Gold actuator in truck for electric connections)
  • Two cameras and monitor for truck, with two other inputs wired for the trailer. Truck has backup and side-view camera.
  • Titled as a motorhome in TX
  • Refrigerator, microwave, shore power, 1800 watt inverter with AC outlets on dash and in back of cab
  • Double bunk - top bunk drops down to create a seat-back for the lower bunk.
  • Good rubber, aluminum wheels
  • Satellite-capable radio
  • Computer workstation swivels for navigator or driver
  • PressurePro monitor

This truck is a short wheelbase tractor, originally configured to be an excellent daily driver. The short 182" wheelbase - just slightly more than a crewcab pickup - and 50* wheelcut makes it a dream to drive around town. The deck is designed to carry an ATV or motorcycle and still tow a 5th wheel. It WILL NOT carry a smartcar.

Meticulously maintained, and has never broken down in the almost 10 years we have used it for fulltime RVing.

Lots more info, pictures, video, and pricing can be found here.

Edited by Jack Mayer, 25 April 2013 - 08:17 AM.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#2 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Since we have possession of our new truck and the body is almost done I'm motivated to "move" our 610. I've reduced the price significantly. You can find the details here.

You could not build a truck like this for the asking price, with the features I have on it. We have owned this truck for 10 years and it has been super reliable,  and extremely well maintained. It will make someone a great RV hauler if the bed works for you. It will easily carry a MC or an ATV.  But not a smart.

Delivery can be arranged anywhere in the lower 48. If you want me to take it to Alaska, I will....but not in the winter :) No delivery to Canada unless you do the import papers first.

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#3 DakarNick

DakarNick

• Validated Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

I wish!  Good luck with the sale, Jack.  I know you'll miss it but love the new 780 even more!

#4 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

If you are looking for  a great replacement for a pickup for towing an RV, horse trailer, or race trailer take a look at this truck. It is a short wheelbase conversion that can easily replace a pickup, and is a pleasure to drive around town.  It has an "upscale" hauler bed on it that was designed to carry a motorcycle or ATV. And most importantly it is totally ready to tow anywhere. Our 780 is completed, and I'm ready to move this truck. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

#5 Nathan Metzler

Nathan Metzler

• Validated Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Mr. Mayer,

I've read just about everything you have posted on the net regarding your truck and I appreciate your apparent honesty and attention to detail. With that said, I've got one hang-up and would like your opinion. The wife, our 3-month old and myself travel around the country following my work and we do the rv thing. We are currently looking at upgrading the fifth wheel and in turn need to upgrade our pickup. Your truck is a strong candidate. The hang-up is the lack of seat belts in the rear. Do you think it would be possible to add a seat belt somewhere, whether it be in between the front seats or in the sleeper, in order to accomodate a car seat. Again, I keep shying away from your truck because of the seat belt issue, but wonder if a remedy is simpler than I imagine. Any input would be appreciated. Also, do you have any idea what the cost of replacing the fuel lines may be. This is an obvious concern. Thanks for your time.

Nathan Metzler

#6 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

People have added a couch and seatbelts to the rear of Volvo's. In fact, several people have done that. It is, however, a retrofit operation and you have to make sure that you do it so that you have a properly mounted seatbelt. I would not retain the bunk - I would mount the seat on top of its framing....some people use van seats, others fabricate their own seats. It is not something I would do for a buyer - you would be on your own. It is not hard if you are handy, and I'm sure some here that have done it could provide guidance. 

As to the fuel lines - it would be a guess....I would figure around $600 if you had it done....if you did it yourself, far less. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

#7 Joe A

Joe A

• Validated Members
  • 16 posts
  • SKP#:43371

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

EodNate And Jack - 

Adding seatbelts to the rear bunk may not require a total retrofit. We have a 1999 Volvo (also for sale here but NOT trying to steal this potential buyer from you!) and have 2 children which required car seats when we first purchased our truck. Had a place in the Tacoma, WA area do the work but they cut slots in the wood under the bottom bunk, threading the belts through and then fastening the bottom end through holes cut in the floorboard and attached to the frame. Found brand new seatbelts at a conversion shop then took to our mechanic shop. Very reasonable install fee. These are very secure. We are both nurses, I am an former-fire fighter and paramedic and have seen enough that I would not risk my families welfare if they were not. Joe

1999 Volvo 610 auto
2003 King of the Road

#8 Nathan Metzler

Nathan Metzler

• Validated Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the input Joe. I'm confident that I could fabricate something along the lines of what you described, just want to make sure it's legal (if there's even such a thing as illegally installed seatbelts). Not trying to overthink it, I just don't want to buy a truck only to have someone tell me I can't have my childs car seat used in it. Anyway, thanks again for the information. Still kicking things around.

#9 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Joe, what you describe is usually how I see it done. With a substantial backing plate on the bottom. It really is not hard to do. I just do not want to do it for someone else because of liability issues. Maybe that is stupid on my part.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

#10 Joe A

Joe A

• Validated Members
  • 16 posts
  • SKP#:43371

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

Jack, I don't think it's stupid of you to not do it...for exactly the reason that you state. If I hadn't needed them for my family, I certainly would not put them in just to make the sale. I just wanted EodNate to know that it is a doable thing to get them installed after he buys your truck. But we did get quite a few looks at the rest areas because we had the only Class 8 with Big Bird and Elmo looking out the back window!! 

Edited by Joe A, 28 April 2013 - 07:58 AM.

1999 Volvo 610 auto
2003 King of the Road

#11 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

There are lots of  options for additional seating in an HDT. Any HDT - this is not just applicable to mine.

First consideration is - do you want to retain the storage compartments under the bunk. If yes, then you have to build on top - which is what most people do. It can be as simple as a back van seat laid over the storage compartments (after removing the mattress). Or as complex as individual seats set  on the compartment. 

I have seen air ride seats put in the back as well...with the storage compartments modified to retain the sleeper heat/AC. Anyone at all "handy" can easily accomplish these tasks. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

#12 MOZAUN

MOZAUN

• Validated Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

please call me about your truck 505 470 4872 or at night at903 564 6286 thanks

#13 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

please call me about your truck 505 470 4872 or at night at903 564 6286 thanks

If you initially contact me via email I can answer your questions or set up a call.  You can find my email in the contact info. Or jackdanmayer    at  gmail

www.jackdanmayer.com

#14 Nathan Metzler

Nathan Metzler

• Validated Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Jack, where's the truck located? I see Woodland Park mentioned, just not sure which state. I'm assuming tx or co. Not to drag this out, but I'm still interested in the truck. Trying to work out some details I my end before I contact you with detailed questions and get anyones hopes up. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Nathan Metzler

#15 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

The truck is in Woodland Park, CO for the summer, unless it sells. 

I have several people interested, and one flying in this weekend.   

This is an excellent truck, IF you do not want to haul a smart. It will handle a motorcycle just fine. It will not handle many trikes, and most trucks will not. Many, if not most, trikes are too long to cross-load.

www.jackdanmayer.com

#16 Ron A

Ron A

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Here is another one interested.  Still working on finances first. 

#17 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Our truck is still available. The person interested in our truck instead bought David and Sue McCarron's Teton and Volvo 770. A very nice package, indeed. 

Our 610 is located in Woodland Park, CO - delivery anywhere in the lower 48 is easily arranged.  For someone that does not want to carry a car, this is an outstanding truck with a long history of use as a fulltime RV hauler. The truck has NEVER broken down and is in excellent condition, with a great Herrin hauler body on it.

The info sheet and link to pictures is here.

Edited by Jack Mayer, 20 May 2013 - 10:08 AM.

www.jackdanmayer.com

#18 gunslinger

gunslinger

• Validated Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

I  don't need to carry a car!

#19 Kevin H

Kevin H

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Jack - You know I am shopping for a new rig right now.  Sure wish I was in a position to buy the whole shebang!!

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

#20 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18461 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Jack - You know I am shopping for a new rig right now.  Sure wish I was in a position to buy the whole shebang!!

Kevin, no matter what trailer you end up buying our 610 would pull it just fine.....   :)

www.jackdanmayer.com