What we want:
- "Cable" programming - packages that cable companies call their "Most Popular" or "Premium" that include TCM, Encore, NatGeo, Science, etc.
- High Definition
- Ability to watch two TVs simultaniously (each TV on a different channel)
- DVR - At a minimum capable of watching one channel or recording while recording another channel. Being able to record more than one while watching another would be a bonus.
- I would prefer to own all my own equipment.
- We will spend significant amounts of time camped where a clear shot to the sky is impossible from the rig. Antenna will need to be portable.
What I think I know:
- The Winegard GM-1518 looks like a good choice for an antenna.
- Dish Network appears to be the defacto choice for HD and being an RV'er
- Can I buy my own receiver from a receiver store? Or do I have to take one from the service provider, Dish?
- If I can buy my own, what receiver is a good mate to the GM-1518 and Dish Network?
- Is the DVR integral to the receiver or a seperate box? I am very familiar with it being integral to my receiver when I was on XFinity in the sticks and bricks, but is there another way to do it?
- I've read so many posts that my head is spinning on the subject about whether you can get CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox channels while jumping around the country and changing "local" stations every few weeks. Do I need to get comfortable with using the over-the-air antenna for prime time shows on the aforementioned channels or is there a way to get them via the Dish service?
Edited by jperry29, 30 January 2013 - 12:13 PM.