13 replies to this topic

#1 Dave & Kathy

Dave & Kathy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 929 posts
  • SKP#:105185

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

We have single pane windows that are drafty in our RV. At night we will close the shades and put a quilt at the bottom of the largest one. This helps some what but we were wondering what others do to help stop drafts. I have the feeling there are more drafty windows out there than just mine. Any ideas that may help this situation? Thank you, Dave.

Edited by Mr. Dave, 20 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

#2 Pensauncola

Pensauncola

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

We have single pane windows that are drafty in our RV. At night we will clos

Did you freeze?

"Smart" is what happens when intelligence gathers information and stores it in the brain.  "Wisdom" is the result of being slapped upside the head with experience.  A smart person won't need to be slapped as often.

#3 Dave & Kathy

Dave & Kathy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Did you freeze?

Sorry, my cat was next to the computer and decided to post this before I was ready. I guess he was too anxious because he was cold too!

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

#4 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18233 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

They make some stick-on plastic film inside storm windows that work fairly well at reducing the cold window problem.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#5 Jim n Sue

Jim n Sue

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

There have been times when we have put insulation like the sunscreen in your windshield. And closed the day n night shades, pulled heavy drapes shut, turned the heater on and waited for warmer weatherPosted Image
Jim Spence
2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB
BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans
34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

#6 Ozz

Ozz

• Validated Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Hi,
I think Stan had a great solution. The Draft you feel is probably just the cool air 'falling off' the window surface, rather than a void in the seal.
Good luck with it, we had the same problem in our Keystone Sprinter trailer, it was so bad we almost could not sit in the couch located in the 'super-slide' We now have the dual pane windows in our 5th wheel, and it is 100% better.
Ozz
5 years of Pipefitter apprentice, Machinists school, and 4 years as a machinist and machine repairs. 2 years repairing Nuke and convential submarines. One year running my own machine shop,
3 years in refrigeration and electrical schooling, 35 years as a HVAC, refrigeration and electrical serviceman and my own businesses as a contractor.

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21850 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I too have used the film on windows that Stanley suggests. The drawback to that is the fact that you must remove the film if you wish to open the window. But it does allow you to still see out while in use and can ge quite effective.

The problem that you have is that many RV builders use very cheap windows in their products. Once you own the RV there really isn't much that can be done to change that so the film may be your best answer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#8 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18233 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

For heat issues I like the Reflectrix foil and bubble sheets but for cold you can end up with a lot of condensation and even ice behind it. The ice can be a real problem if it builds up over night then melts in the morning sun. All to easy to get more melt than the drip holes can deal with and have water running down inside your walls.

Reflectricx under a layer of the plastic sheet works very well for cold though as the plastic sheet keeps the moist air from getting to the cold glass.

Something to consider as you insulate your windows is that they serve as a pretty good dehumidifier, without them pulling water out of the air your condensation will move to the next coldest spot in your rig, likely the back of an outside closet or cabinet.

#9 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1186 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Bigger heater.
Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.

#10 David & Lorna Schinske

David & Lorna Schinske

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2590 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Single pane windows with clear bubble wrap (the kind used for shipping fragile items... bought a huge roll from Wal-Mart for a lot less than Reflectix). I stuck my "tiny bubbles" wrap to the glass with some clear silicone. I figure that I can simply use a razor scraper the clean the silicone off the glass when I am ready to pull it down. Even covered the whole front windshield with the stuff. It will be a while before we move anyway. Nice thing is I still get plenty of light along with a little solar heat gain when I pull the curtains back. While this distorts the view a little, both inside & out, it's still clear enough that you will need to close the curtain at times unless you are exhibitionists.

For the numbers behind the bubble wrap as window insulation you may want to look at this Builditsolar.com page before you assume it won't work. Also instructions on how to adhere it to the glass (you don't need to use silicone like we did).

I have the original 2 piece bi-fold bus door that we turned into a single piece door on our bus. It is more glass than metal. I glued the bubble wrap to the glass then trimmed it once the silicone was dry (didn't trust water to hold the bubbles to the glass in the NM winds). After doing all the "work" to get bubble wrap up on all the windows, I got to play with the remnants. Popping the bubble wrap is relaxing and addictive.

I've used Reflectix for several years and now the bubble wrap. Differences:

LIGHT! Reflectix on all the windows is like living in a cave. That's not so bad in the summer (nice cool cave) but in the winter it gets old fast.

MONEY! Bubble wrap is far cheaper than Reflectix. Also the excess takes up less room to store.

Other Uses:With bubble wrap you can use it to pack fragile items, place between breakables, while away the time popping the bubbles.

I do not know how the bubble wrap will do with the heat. Reflectix has a reflective heat barrier (which is all Reflectix is - a heat barrier) where as I am getting some solar gain thru the clear wrap. I still have one large window that will get covered with rigid foam. but the back half of the bus (with the big south-facing uninsulated 30" x 24" window) gets nice a toasty warm during the day when the sun is shining..

#11 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1462 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I have no answer for you, just a comment to make things more confusing. We have had less expensive trailers where we definitely felt the draft you are talking about. We now have an Arctic Fox with single pane windows but have never felt a draft like our other rigs (nor the condensation we have had in other rigs). And we have been in some really cold weather. I also know that in our Springdale trailer when we were in a big sand storm, we found a lot of sand in the trailer. We've never found anything like that in the AF. So I'm wondering if it really is the window panes, as such, or if you may have leaks around the windows or slides. Just something to think about.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#12 Dave & Kathy

Dave & Kathy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanks all for the ideas. I can't believe an RV manufacturer would cheapen windows for just a few bucks gain. It's such an important thing that is so easy to put in a new RV and make it so much more comfortable. I guess I will try the plastic route. Thanks again, Dave.

#13 whj

whj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1015 posts
  • SKP#:106033

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Many RVs have single pane windows and if the weather is cold it will be cool by the windows.
You have the fixes listed in the above posts and all that I can offer, sorry, is to do what lots of other
RVers do and chase the 70 degrees. Which right now would put you in southern Florida and not AZ
as the weather has been cold there recently. Good Luck

2011 F250 XLT, diesel, longbed, CC, RWD
2012 V-Cross 275, fiver

#14 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18233 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Cold? We were at 80 this afternoon in Phoenix and I'm working on my tan. Gonna be 82 tomorrow!

We will get a chance of showers after that and then back to the 60s for the weekend though.