• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 hankfolk

hankfolk

• Validated Members
  • 18 posts
  • SKP#:106801

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Am looking at buying a new 2 meter dual band mobile for the coach and toad. Have read some on APRS and am wondering how RVers use it? and is it worth spending the extra bucks for?

Hank Folk
KF5QBF
Currently in Kerrville, TX until May

#2 HamRad

HamRad

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1728 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hank,
It is sort of fun to use the APRS system while we're traveling. Our kids enjoy being able to look us up on the computer when we are out and about. That's about the only reason we use it. I use a little handheld 2 meter rig. It's just another of the many facets of Ham Radio. Dennis
Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

#3 BZawlocki

BZawlocki

• Validated Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Here's another option:

1. The Yaesu FT8800 is a great dual band radio. The really nice thing is that it has banks of memories, which allows you to setup different banks of frequencies for different uses or areas. For example, you could setup one bank for home and another when you visit the kids in another state. https://www.hamcity....-8900-p1146.htm

2. Byonics makes a super stand alone APRS radio. http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg

Bill

Edited by BZawlocki, 15 January 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#4 Mike Council

Mike Council

• Validated Members
  • 384 posts
  • SKP#:99524

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Another option on the location information is to use Winlink 2000. This requires a computer and an amateur rig and in addition to the position reporting which is visible on the internet you woul have email capability from any where, regardless of internet or phone service. Software is a free download from their site.
Mike WU0G

Mike & Jo Ann
2006 40 ft Teton Royal Cheyenne,  Honda EU6500is,, Semper Fi, WUØG

#5 hankfolk

hankfolk

• Validated Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Great replies! Each opens up another avenue to explore. I have a folder full of printouts of various radios and all of their functions which I am trying to choose from. The only problem is the folder keeps expanding. sooner or later I am going to to have to make a decision. In the meantime I am setting up Echolink. Got past the modem/router/firewall issues.

I now see the need for lots of memories and cross band repeater function.

Thanks,

Hank
KF5QBF
Kerrville, for now, but not for long.

#6 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2021 posts
  • SKP#:111554

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Icom or Yeseau.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

#7 MtnHam

MtnHam

• Validated Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

The Kenwood TM-D710 is a great dual band APRS capable radio. With multiple memory banks, it can be easily programmed in advance for different areas of the country where you will be traveling, and then set to scan only those active frequencies where you are currently located. I like mine so much I purchased a 2nd one as well.
Ham radio & the good life in the boonies

#8 hankfolk

hankfolk

• Validated Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

The Kenwood TM-D710 is a great dual band APRS capable radio. With multiple memory banks, it can be easily programmed in advance for different areas of the country where you will be traveling, and then set to scan only those active frequencies where you are currently located. I like mine so much I purchased a 2nd one as well.

#9 hankfolk

hankfolk

• Validated Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I had looked at the 710 before and liked what I saw. Now that I am using EchoLink I think this is the one. It has great reviews on eham.

Thanks for added endorsement.

Hank
KF5QBF

#10 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2021 posts
  • SKP#:111554

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I know a lot of people have brand loyalty. I don't. Among my hardware are a couple of Alinco radios and lookin at the catalogs I see there are several new companies that show the same type of gear as the major manufacturers but much cheaper.

BTW Garmin makes a set ofd GRMS radios wih APRS in it.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.