• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Dickinson

Roger Dickinson

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

The question is for those who have installed residential fridges. Did you beef up the floor under and if so with what? My kitchen slideout is 22.5" deep and the fridge is deeper to start with let alone the doors and freezer drawer, add to that the drawer when it is open. I'm told RV fridges may weigh about 200 lbs maybe and the residential fridge is 350. Also did you install an extra roller under the slideout to take the extra weight?

Thanks

#2 chezhead

chezhead

• Validated Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

The question is for those who have installed residential fridges. Did you beef up the floor under and if so with what? My kitchen slideout is 22.5" deep and the fridge is deeper to start with let alone the doors and freezer drawer, add to that the drawer when it is open. I'm told RV fridges may weigh about 200 lbs maybe and the residential fridge is 350. Also did you install an extra roller under the slideout to take the extra weight?

Thanks

I replaced my Dometic NDA 1402 (328 lbs) with a Samsung RF 217 (282 lbs) last fall. All I did was remove a drawer below my old unit to account for the extra height and put 2 2x4's on the floor to allow for the rollers to rest on. The 2x4's brought the floor up to the same level as my decorative trim. It's the best upgrade I've made to my RV. No changes to any electrical as the new unit only uses 400 watts max.

I feel that the weight ultimately will not change as the new unit is a lot bigger and therefore it will have more food/drinks in it.
Mark & Cheryl Graham
2008 Bounder 36' Diesel
2005 Cadillac SRX Toad

#3 AFChap

AFChap

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3385 posts
  • SKP#:83500

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I feel that the weight ultimately will not change as the new unit is a lot bigger and therefore it will have more food/drinks in it.

Perhaps the fact that this was posted in the wee hours explains why it makes no sense?? / is opposite of reality? :)

I believe the only time you need to look at "floor" strength is when the fridge is sitting on a shelf rather than the floor. If so, you most likely have to either remove or lower that shelf to make the enclosure taller, as Roger indicated he did with his drawer. Any additional weight would concern me only in regard to GVW and balance.
Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...
'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E
'05 Honda Odyssey
Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART
http://www.pjrider.com

#4 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2753 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'm not sure where the OP got his information on refrigerator weights. According to Samsung, the RF197 that we used weighs 238 lbs exclusive of shipping materials. It appears that the Norcold weighs ~215 lbs, so this issue is moot at least for the Samsung product which is pretty popular as a retrofit for a number of other reasons.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#5 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4708 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I made no modifications to the slide out mechanism. I did add some 1/2" plywood to the floor, but that was more to adjust the height of the unit so it fit the opening better than for support. There was a weak area for the first two inches of the floor where the existing 1/4" plywood floor spanned a gap from the floor structure to the cabinetry frame where it jutted out. That probably does not make much sense without a photo. Sorry. The weak spot was only a problem while sliding/rolling the new refrigerator into position. Once in place the feet/rollers were behind that gap and on solid footing. As I said, the additional plywood was for a height adjustment, but it also eliminated the weak spot when sliding the refrigerator into place.
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#6 Roger Dickinson

Roger Dickinson

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'm not sure where the OP got his information on refrigerator weights. According to Samsung, the RF197 that we used weighs 238 lbs exclusive of shipping materials. It appears that the Norcold weighs ~215 lbs, so this issue is moot at least for the Samsung product which is pretty popular as a retrofit for a number of other reasons.

Samsung will probably be stainless which I would prefer not to have.

The info came from Tony Dowling, the Business Dev. Manger for Elmira Stove. The kitchen is being redone in the 50's retro style along with the tufted booth and checkered floor. I've misplaced the weight info but will modify my post with the update. I'm not concerned about ht as the existing fridge and glass door pantry will be removed along with the surrounding face frame. Travel Supreme must have designed the fridge area for this option. A 36" unit will slide in. A metal plate may be made to spread out he weight and another roller for good measure put under. The fridge is on a slideout.

Fridge minus door will fit thru the 27" man door or can be put on slideout when it comes out for installation of new floor.

This is the only model they make that is counter depth, the others are too deep. leverage, arm and moment etc.

Mr Chill doesn't make counter deep fridges.

Most of you are too young to remember the 50"|

Bunk area is done, bathroom is done, suspension is done, now the kitchen, then the entertainment area.

Re wt on one side or the other, hubs were upgraded to 7k from 6 and 17.5" 4800 lb tires put on last summer.

Look up Elmira's site and have a look thru. Mine is the French door with freezer below, getting matching micro and will put in an18" panel ready Bosch d/w in the island.

Here it is
With the cap and door panels, etc. it's going to come in somewherearound 350 360 pounds.

Tony Dowling

Business Development Manager

Elmira Stove Works

285 Union Street

Elmira, Ontario N3B 3P1

800-295-8498

tony@elmirastoveworks.com

www.ElmiraStoveWorks.com

Edited by Roger Dickinson, 07 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.