• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 mcbockalds

mcbockalds

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Verizon advertizes a $50 prepaid unlimited plan with unlimited minutes, texts and mobile(?) web. In the fine print it says, "$50 Unlimited Plan includes unlimited Mobile Web and does not include full web browsing." So what does that mean? What is Mobile Web? What is full web browsing? Is that browsing the web on a full stomach? ;)

Cheers John
John & Karen "1/3 - timers"

The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar: Padre Island National Seashore, TX
2008 17' Taylor Coach, Lightweight Trailer, 2050lb Dryweight (axles and tongue)
2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

#2 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2014 posts
  • SKP#:111554

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

It's another way for Verizon to grab yr money. :D

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

#3 DavidMc

DavidMc

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 974 posts
  • SKP#:90501

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Try a Google search on "What is Verizon Mobile Web?"

There are both Verizon statements/claims/descriptions and comments by users / critics.

#4 whj

whj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 950 posts
  • SKP#:106033

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

I got new Verizon smart phones on December 18th, two Galaxy S III's, unlimited tex and phone calls were
$40 each per month. Six GB's of share data was another $60 per month, which we will use for the two phones and two
laptops. I am not sure what mobil web is, but as you can see from the per month costs, it must not be full internet?
Good Luck as I have found that it is expensive!

#5 YodaRules

YodaRules

• Validated Members
  • 12 posts
  • SKP#:111916

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Am I correct is reading, for $140 monthly plus taxes, you get 6 GB of internet divided between all 4 items? I looked online and found 4GB, with unlimited talk/text, for $70 monthly and 6GB runs $80 (in addition to the phones). Sounds like you got a very sweet deal. Do you use a USB stick for your laptops to access the internet? Your set up is exactly what I have been looking at.

Patsy
Florida

I got new Verizon smart phones on December 18th, two Galaxy S III's, unlimited tex and phone calls were $40 each per month. Six GB's of share data was another $60 per month, which we will use for the two phones and two laptops.

Patsy
Hailing from Live Oak, Florida
2000 Coachmen Leprechaun 31'
No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -- Yoda

#6 James and Tracy

James and Tracy

• Validated Members
  • 238 posts
  • SKP#:114052

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I got new Verizon smart phones on December 18th, two Galaxy S III's, unlimited tex and phone calls were
$40 each per month. Six GB's of share data was another $60 per month, which we will use for the two phones and two
laptops. I am not sure what mobil web is, but as you can see from the per month costs, it must not be full internet?
Good Luck as I have found that it is expensive!

If you get 6GB of shared data for $60 a month on the share everything plan that is $20 a month cheaper than it should be. So that is a better deal. Mine is $60 a month for 2GB of shared data (minus $9 for military savings) with our 2 Iphones which are $40 each a month. Each additional 2GB is $10 a month.
Overall switching to the share everything plan saved me about $20 a month for 3 phones.
I would do pre-paid if I had to.

2012 GMC

2014 Open Range Roamer 367BHS

USN Retired

#7 SCClockDr

SCClockDr

• Validated Members
  • 272 posts
  • SKP#:104269

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Verizon "NATIONWIDE TALK SHARE 700"
2 Smart Phones Moto RAZR Maxx & Moto RAZR Maxx HD
500 Texts per line per year. (PROMO - One time deal!)
Total ~$130.00 Monthly.

Not that much savings but DW pinches those pennies.

We love our Droids! Once I had mine it only took 3 Mo's for her to crumble. The call clarity & Sig strength did it.
Regards George & Cathy
Titanium Registry # 458
Titanium '08 28E33SA, Husky 16K, XM Roady2, Honda EU 3000is, WiSky, WiFiR Pro, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, Moved Inverter, PD 9260 Upgrade, SeaLevel II, 2 Gal Blue Accumulator,
'04 Dodge 3500 SLT 4x2 5.9L DRW, Gauges, 6spd, DRW, Garmin 755T, F'Tank Mods, Aux Tank/t'box, BrakeSmart, Cobra CB (19), XM Direct, Backup Cam.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2886 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

SCClockDr: That is now an old plan. If you have unlimited data when you go to upgrade the phones you will have to change to the share plan or pay the "retail" price. The minimum share plan for two smartphones is $130 for 1GB per month.
Newmar Dutch Star DP towing Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#9 SCClockDr

SCClockDr

• Validated Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

This is a good fit for us ATM. DW does not text & our minute useage stays in the 500 range. We are getting 4 GB per month. We are not unlimited on any portion of our plan. If we were to add text or up either the minutes or data then the new "Share Everything Plan" would make sense. Like I said the difference is small.

Swyped on my Samsung Note 10.1Tablet
Regards George & Cathy
Titanium Registry # 458
Titanium '08 28E33SA, Husky 16K, XM Roady2, Honda EU 3000is, WiSky, WiFiR Pro, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, Moved Inverter, PD 9260 Upgrade, SeaLevel II, 2 Gal Blue Accumulator,
'04 Dodge 3500 SLT 4x2 5.9L DRW, Gauges, 6spd, DRW, Garmin 755T, F'Tank Mods, Aux Tank/t'box, BrakeSmart, Cobra CB (19), XM Direct, Backup Cam.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Bill Joyce

Bill Joyce

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2886 posts
  • SKP#:81846

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

SCClockDr: You don't have unlimited data so they will let you keep your current plan when you want to upgrade to a new subsidized phone. A new user won't have your choice, they get the share plan.
Newmar Dutch Star DP towing Chevy Equinox, Fulltimer since July 2003
Travels - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains very popular. (stolen from Nick Russell)

#11 SCClockDr

SCClockDr

• Validated Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

SCClockDr: You don't have unlimited data so they will let you keep your current plan when you want to upgrade to a new subsidized phone. A new user won't have your choice, they get the share plan.

Completely understood!

I do feel sad for several family members now unhappy with their ATT plan. They are indeed stuck with a $$$ bill either way they go.

Happy New Year!
Regards George & Cathy
Titanium Registry # 458

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 mcbockalds

mcbockalds

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Verizon advertizes a $50 prepaid unlimited plan with unlimited minutes, texts and mobile(?) web. In the fine print it says, "$50 Unlimited Plan includes unlimited Mobile Web and does not include full web browsing." So what does that mean? What is Mobile Web? What is full web browsing? Is that browsing the web on a full stomach? ;)

Cheers John

So does anyone have this plan?? I did google it and found some limited info. Verizon also gives some limited info. But I would like to hear from someone who uses the plan, if that is possible.

Cheers John

Edited by mcbockalds, 02 January 2013 - 01:46 PM.

2007 Chevy 1/2 ton, Reg Cab, 8' Bed, 4.8L, 2WD, 3.23 Lock. Diff., Highway: 25 MPG Solo, 15-16 MPG Towing

#13 moisheh

moisheh

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Mobile web is not regular mobile data. These are almost dumb phones and not Android or Apple. The phone may come with a few apps or games but that is it. You cannot add anything. More or less useless. But $50.00 for unlimited Verizon is a good deal if it inclues roaming off the Verizon network. But if you need real data the Straightalk from WM is only $45.00 and includes so called unlimited data. There are currently 2 or 3 of the ST phones that run on Verizon. The rest are Sprint.

Moisheh

#14 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 728 posts
  • SKP#:109233

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

I bought a Note 2 without a contract. I then got a Straight Talk SIM from Walmart. I get unlimited talk, text, and web for $45 per month. Over the course of 2 years, it should save me quite a bit of money. When my wife's contract is up, we'll do the same thing with her.

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#15 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2467 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I bought a Note 2 without a contract. I then got a Straight Talk SIM from Walmart. I get unlimited talk, text, and web for $45 per month. Over the course of 2 years, it should save me quite a bit of money. When my wife's contract is up, we'll do the same thing with her.

Whose service is Straight Talk using?

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#16 mcbockalds

mcbockalds

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sounds interesting. do you know if you are allowed to turn your phone into a hot spot while using the Straight Talk plan?

Cheers John

#17 mrschwarz

mrschwarz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 728 posts
  • SKP#:109233

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

There are apps that will do it, but as with all 'unlimited' web, it may be against the terms of use. My particular SIM uses the AT&T network (not LTE though).

Michael

2010 Winnebago Tour
Cummins ISL 400
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Blue Ox Aventa II
Air Force One
Tire Safeguard TPMS

Visit us at schwarz.org!

#18 Jane and Paul

Jane and Paul

• Validated Members
  • 414 posts
  • SKP#:106687

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

Where did you buy the Note II and how much was it without a contract? Is there a SIM for Verizon?
Paul

#19 moisheh

moisheh

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

ST runs on Verizon,ATT and Sprint. The sims are not available for Verizon. They get very excited if you use your phone as a hotspot. Sometimes you will get a warning message. Other times your phone becomes locked for good! The Sprint coverage is only Sprint. No roaming. There is a new player in the market called Ting My link . They are part of Tucows. A very reliable company. If you call them a real person will answer the phone. Read the info on their site. A different concept where you buy a bucket of services and if you dont use it all some will rollover. Their Sprint voice coverage includes roaming on Verizon. The data portion of their plans is a little expensive. But if you are a light user of data Ting may work well.There are rumours that Verizon will be partnering with more independent prepaid providers.

#20 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18460 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

ST runs on Verizon,ATT and Sprint. The sims are not available for Verizon. They get very excited if you use your phone as a hotspot. Sometimes you will get a warning message. Other times your phone becomes locked for good!

That may have been true at one point in time, although I ran FoxFI for a long time without an issue. But now you can run a hotspot all you want for free on Verizon, assuming you have the shared data plan. If you have an older plan then you need something like FoxFI.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com