• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ozz

Ozz

• Validated Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I just completed it yesterday

Read this if you have questions about R.O. water.

Edited by Ozz, 28 November 2012 - 10:06 AM.

5 years of Pipefitter apprentice, Machinists school, and 4 years as a machinist and machine repairs. 2 years repairing Nuke and convential submarines. One year running my own machine shop,
3 years in refrigeration and electrical schooling, 35 years as a HVAC, refrigeration and electrical serviceman and my own businesses as a contractor.

#2 MtnHam

MtnHam

• Validated Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

RO systems use about 10 times the water they produce. If you live you RV life in RV parks, no problem. For the rest of us, they are impractical.
Ham radio & the good life in the boonies

#3 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18633 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

RO systems use about 10 times the water they produce. If you live you RV life in RV parks, no problem. For the rest of us, they are impractical.

Not really. I boondock extensively and we have RO water. I just turn it off if boondocking. I still have dual canister filters to process the water. MOST RVs spend most of their life in parks. So RO water is worth considering. It is definitely superior to non-RO water.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#4 JoeandMarcia

JoeandMarcia

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2296 posts
  • SKP#:97020

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

10 times is exaggerated, mayby 3 times and that depends on the system set up and the condition of the filters.

And the RO water is awesome.....
Chasing the 70's

You can follow us using My link

I may not know what town I will be sleeping in,
But I know I'll be sleeping in MY bed.

#5 JoeandMarcia

JoeandMarcia

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2296 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

10 times is exaggerated, maybe 3 times and that depends on the system set up and the condition of the filters.

And the RO water is awesome.....
Chasing the 70's

#6 Joe Spiker

Joe Spiker

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1546 posts
  • SKP#:108630

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Other than sanitizing my system once a year, RO water is all I use in my RV. Sure is nice to just rinse the soap off the shower walls and have them stay sparkling clean. And yes 10 times is a bit much on how much water is bypassed. Generally I run the outgoing line over to a nearby tree or into the shrubs.

Joe
Joe
The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH
The "White Knight", a 1997 Dodge 2500 4wd

#7 Gemstone

Gemstone

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Water conditioning of some type is a way of life in the lower Colorado River Valley. Parks will usually provide conditioned water, but if you are out in the country or on a private lot, you'll want something, and for many, RO systems are a good way to provide decent water. The 3 to 1 bypass water is great for irrigation purposes.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites, '95 KW T-600, '04 Dyna Low Rider, '06 Softail Deuce.

#8 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1123 posts
  • SKP#:79313

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Simple fix (for under-the-sink systems) -- plumb the RO system so that the waste water returns to your holding tank . . . www.rvwaterfilterstore.com sells such as system.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

#9 Ozz

Ozz

• Validated Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

You obviously did not read the information attached.
5 years of Pipefitter apprentice, Machinists school, and 4 years as a machinist and machine repairs. 2 years repairing Nuke and convential submarines. One year running my own machine shop,
3 years in refrigeration and electrical schooling, 35 years as a HVAC, refrigeration and electrical serviceman and my own businesses as a contractor.

#10 otterlakeram

otterlakeram

• Validated Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Sub'd.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

2014 Lifestyle LS38RS
2010 33L CC Silverback/SOLD
2 Labs,
Formerly from the Thumb of MI
NRA Life Member
IAFF/L-352 Retired

#11 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21356 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

I have never seen the need to spend the money or the work involved in one, but there are some clear benefits. When we were at Imperial Natl. Wildlife Refuge in AZ, all of the water used in the occupied spaces and RV park was RO due to the poor quality of the water supply. They had a separate plumbing system of well water for things like car washing and watering lawns. At the same time we have been in a very few places where even with our good filter system for the RV supply, we still brought in water for drinking and cooking. It didn't happen many times but it did occasionally. There is no doubt that RO is the best quality water if you can make it work for you.

We might have considered such a system if we had more storage space and weight capacity in our RV home, but there simply was no place to put one and no budget to buy it with. B)

Edited by Kirk, 29 November 2012 - 08:15 AM.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#12 Ozz

Ozz

• Validated Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

We have the system at home and really like it.
There is no doubt that we will never recover the cost of the install and purchase, even with me putting it in, but we were going to get water every other day, 6 gallons at a time. We bought an ice maker this year, and we make a bunch of ice, plus my wife and I hike a lot here in the Sonoran Desert. It's amazing how much water we drink here.
Last year we bought bottled water by the case, I always hated the way we blasted thru a case of water and all the plastic we pitched. (No recycling where we are)
With the R.O. System we don't have to store cases of bottled water and/or gallon jugs, the system is tucked away below in storage.
For us, it just was a good fit. And it is sweet clear clean water, we don't have to wonder about the source.
Ozz

#13 MidMi

MidMi

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 569 posts
  • SKP#:107324

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Nice job on the install. I had to go and take a nap after reading about it. Whew! That was a lot of work. Posted Image

Arizona for a spell.

1995 HR Endeavor LE, 36' 460 Ford with Banks Systems
2005 PT Cruiser, 5-speed, ragtop

#14 MtnHam

MtnHam

• Validated Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Yes, my 10x number is a bit of an exaggeration, but my point is still valid. I do have an RO system in my S&B home, and think it is terrific. But I do hear the sound of lots of water going down the drain a lot of the time. If I were boondocking, this would mean wasted water, and electricity. It takes a lot of energy to force that water through the membrane, and this would mean the water pump would be running more than I would find acceptable. But as I said, if you spend most of your time parked in RV parks, and don't mind loosing the considerable space an RO system requires, you will love it. I prefer to buy bottled drinking water as necessary, and save the water in my tanks for other purposes, thus extending my time in the boondocks. Some people like RV parks. I don't!
Ham radio & the good life in the boonies

#15 JoeandMarcia

JoeandMarcia

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2296 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yes, my 10x number is a bit of an exaggeration, but my point is still valid. I do have an RO system in my S&B home, and think it is terrific. But I do hear the sound of lots of water going down the drain a lot of the time. If I were boondocking, this would mean wasted water, and electricity. It takes a lot of energy to force that water through the membrane, and this would mean the water pump would be running more than I would find acceptable. But as I said, if you spend most of your time parked in RV parks, and don't mind loosing the considerable space an RO system requires, you will love it. I prefer to buy bottled drinking water as necessary, and save the water in my tanks for other purposes, thus extending my time in the boondocks. Some people like RV parks. I don't!

The only disadvantage I see to boondocking with an RO system would be filling your fresh water tank. It would take a long time to fill a 100 gallon tank with RO water.
Chasing the 70's

#16 Ozz

Ozz

• Validated Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

When you are 'off grid' simply don't use it, it has it's own faucet.
To each his own.

#17 Ozz

Ozz

• Validated Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

The only disadvantage I see to boondocking with an RO system would be filling your fresh water tank. It would take a long time to fill a 100 gallon tank with RO water.

I think some folks do use the system for all the water in their RV, I elected to have a point of use system, just the faucet for drinking water and coffee.

#18 D&J

D&J

• Validated Members
  • 474 posts
  • SKP#:90175

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I think some folks do use the system for all the water in their RV, I elected to have a point of use system, just the faucet for drinking water and coffee.

Nice installation and I'm sure you will enjoy it. When I installed ours it was a lot easier because I had room under the sink for the complete assembly. When we are going to be off the grid or traveling we just store water up in gallon jugs, I also set up a drain that I can change to that goes outside so we can use it when we have water but no sewer the grass,trees and bushes love it.

Denny
Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Jake the Scottie & Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTGHome Base Nebraska

#19 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1123 posts
  • SKP#:79313

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Yes, my 10x number is a bit of an exaggeration, but my point is still valid. . . If I were boondocking, this would mean wasted water, and electricity.

Your "wasted water" point is only valid if you had a "whole RV" RO system in which you had to fill your ENTIRE holding tank.

I think most folks with RV RO systems have small, under-the-sink units of 3 gallons or so. For these units, RO waste water can be plumbed back to the holding tank. Zero waste (see previous post).

It takes a lot of energy to force that water through the membrane, and this would mean the water pump would be running more than I would find acceptable.

My 3-gallon under-the-sink unit takes about an hour to refill. During that time the water pump cycles on and off. I don't think much power is used. And, like previous poster said, you can just disable the RO system.

But as I said, if you spend most of your time parked in RV parks, and don't mind loosing the considerable space an RO system requires . . .

Under the sink is a lot of space?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

#20 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18633 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Everyone posting here is more or less correct. An RO system has some characteristics that make it less than optimal for continuous boondocking. And if that is your primary location in your RV I would not recommend RO. But consider:

- my RO system is plumbed to be able to be bypassed with some simple turns of the knob....so it is easy to turn off if boondocking.
- I have the 3 gallon under sink system and it takes no extra space (I would not use the space that the tank is in, if it was not there)
- the cost of the RO system is EASILY paid for with the savings of buying bottled water, and the quality is equivalent.
- my system is point-of-use. A whole house system is a different animal.....Most who have whole house systems use their fresh tank for storage and always run off it. Thus they use their water pump exclusively and only use shore water as an input to the RO system. This works well, but you will use up your pump faster, and you also have more complex controls on the RO system.

Edited by Jack Mayer, 29 November 2012 - 11:23 AM.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com