Scamp Travel Trailers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Janiewood

Janiewood

• Validated Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I just purchased and took delivery of my new 16' Scamp Travel Trailer. I have fallen in love with it. It was manufactured in Backus, MN and I took delivery in Great Falls, MT after driving there from San Jose where I was visiting my son. I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty as the towing vehicle and just completed my adventure towing the Scamp from Great Falls, MT to San Jose. It pulls like a dream. I have now spent 4 nights in it and it is just awesome. I travel by myself and I can handle the set up with no problem. It has everything I need. I traveled from Great Falls to Spokane, then to Tillamook OR then down US 101 along the coast of Oregon and CA highway 1. Beautiful. I'm interested in sharing info and RV sites with other travelers.

Edited by Janiewood, 08 November 2012 - 03:48 PM.

16' Scamp w/ 2012 Jeep Liberty, aka "Scamper" and "Scout".
Best wishes to all!

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 22369 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Welcome to the Escapee's forums. We hare happy that you have chosen to join us.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 6249 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Have you found the Fiberglass RV website? They have discussion forums, including one just for Scamp trailers.

There's also the LightWeightCamperForum that has one forum for Fiberglass trailers such as Scamp. http://lightweightcamperforum.com/

And then there's the Scamp Owners International which includes a Yahoo Group (link found under "Scamp Chat").

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#4 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6301 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Welcome to Escapees. I think you will find us a helpful group.

Casita is a sister RV to Scamp. My favorite Casita blogger is: http://rvsueandcrew.com

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#5 vermilye

vermilye

• Validated Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

I have a page on my site that has links to others traveling in fiberglass trailers, as well as some manufacturers - JV's Fiberglass Trailer Links. I travel in an Escape 17B, another brand of fiberglass trailer. Welcome aboard!
Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

#6 Dick N

Dick N

• Validated Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

I just purchased and took delivery of my new 16' Scamp Travel Trailer. I have fallen in love with it. It was manufactured in Backus, MN and I took delivery in Great Falls, MT after driving there from San Jose where I was visiting my son. I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty as the towing vehicle and just completed my adventure towing the Scamp from Great Falls, MT to San Jose. It pulls like a dream. I have now spent 4 nights in it and it is just awesome. I travel by myself and I can handle the set up with no problem. It has everything I need. I traveled from Great Falls to Spokane, then to Tillamook OR then down US 101 along the coast of Oregon and CA highway 1. Beautiful. I'm interested in sharing info and RV sites with other travelers.

Congratulations on the purchase of the Scamp. We too purchased a new Scamp and picked it up from the factory in Backus, Mn. As you discovered, they tow nicely. We tow ours with a Ford Escape Hybrid and get 21-24 mpg towing the Scamp. We purchased it this past May and have been out in it many times. Interestingly, our motorhome sits in the garage and the Scamp has been our RV of choice. I tell folks all the time that the Scamp has everything the Eagle has except for a washer/dryer and ice maker.

Dick N

#7 Janiewood

Janiewood

• Validated Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for writing. I just love my Scamp. However my gas mileage is only around 14 with my Jeep Liberty...this seems to be the biggest expense!

Congratulations on the purchase of the Scamp. We too purchased a new Scamp and picked it up from the factory in Backus, Mn. As you discovered, they tow nicely. We tow ours with a Ford Escape Hybrid and get 21-24 mpg towing the Scamp. We purchased it this past May and have been out in it many times. Interestingly, our motorhome sits in the garage and the Scamp has been our RV of choice. I tell folks all the time that the Scamp has everything the Eagle has except for a washer/dryer and ice maker.

Dick N

Best wishes to all!

#8 Janiewood

Janiewood

• Validated Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Thanks so much. I'll check them out!

Have you found the Fiberglass RV website? They have discussion forums, including one just for Scamp trailers.

There's also the LightWeightCamperForum that has one forum for Fiberglass trailers such as Scamp. http://lightweightcamperforum.com/

And then there's the Scamp Owners International which includes a Yahoo Group (link found under "Scamp Chat").

Best wishes to all!

#9 BeckyIO

BeckyIO

• Validated Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hello Janie!

Welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass RV ownership. I'm in a Casita, kind of a sibling to the Scamp. There are a lot of things I love about my little trailer, but easy towing, big windows, and no seams to maintain are definitely near the top. Enjoy!

Becky

Life is too short not to spend it doing something you love.

'99 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17'

'01 Dodge Dakota

Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 22369 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

However my gas mileage is only around 14 with my Jeep Liberty...this seems to be the biggest expense!

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Always good to have new folks join us here. :D

I think that you are finding the fuel issue to be the same for most all of us, no matter what type of RV you own. The cost of fuel has always been significant, but with the prices of today it has become the greatest single expense of any RV travel. But the positive side of that is that one can control that cost by slowing the rate of travel and with longer stays where we stop. An interesting comparison is that we did a cost analysis on two trips from Texas to the Seattle area and back on consecutive years with June of 2012 flying and June of 2011 going by RV. The trip flying actually cost us only about half of what it would have been to go via RV, but was far less than half as much fun. I guess that enjoying travel just comes with a price today! ;) It only saves money to travel by RV if you travel very slowly and spend a lot of time where you stop and also stay in inexpensive places. RV sites are also a rapidly rising part of the cost to travel when compared to 10 years or so ago.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#11 Janiewood

Janiewood

• Validated Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree with you. I love the freedom to go at my own pace or change my mind and head in a different direction. My first experience with my new camper was getting it from Great Falls to San Jose and I was on the road each day driving to the next site. I plan on taking leisurely trips in the future! Thanks so much.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Always good to have new folks join us here. :D

I think that you are finding the fuel issue to be the same for most all of us, no matter what type of RV you own. The cost of fuel has always been significant, but with the prices of today it has become the greatest single expense of any RV travel. But the positive side of that is that one can control that cost by slowing the rate of travel and with longer stays where we stop. An interesting comparison is that we did a cost analysis on two trips from Texas to the Seattle area and back on consecutive years with June of 2012 flying and June of 2011 going by RV. The trip flying actually cost us only about half of what it would have been to go via RV, but was far less than half as much fun. I guess that enjoying travel just comes with a price today! ;) It only saves money to travel by RV if you travel very slowly and spend a lot of time where you stop and also stay in inexpensive places. RV sites are also a rapidly rising part of the cost to travel when compared to 10 years or so ago.

Best wishes to all!

#12 Earl

Earl

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1491 posts
  • SKP#:104554

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

I owned a 14' Burro years ago. Some of my happiest memories were pulling that thing anywhere I wanted to go. Got into places I couldn't turn around and I'd just unhook, push it around, drive my truck through the bushes to get to the otherside and hook-up again. When my 4cyl Nissan truck gave out, I pulled it with an old Ford Thunderbird. We finally wanted something bigger so started the downward slope to bigger and bigger.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5rds for full-timing, now sold.

2011 23rks Keystone Hideout for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

#13 Janiewood

Janiewood

• Validated Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi Earl,
I so enjoyed reading your post! There is something to be said for small and lightweight! It's perfect for me. Something I can handle by myself. Safe travels!

I owned a 14' Burro years ago. Some of my happiest memories were pulling that thing anywhere I wanted to go. Got into places I couldn't turn around and I'd just unhook, push it around, drive my truck through the bushes to get to the otherside and hook-up again. When my 4cyl Nissan truck gave out, I pulled it with an old Ford Thunderbird. We finally wanted something bigger so started the downward slope to bigger and bigger.

Best wishes to all!

#14 ScampGuy

ScampGuy

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

On May 12, 2013, my brother's one-year old 13' Scamp exploded spontaneusly while parked on my front yard.  The 6am blast shook the neighborhood and luckily no one was killed or injured.  The debris scattered everywhere and the door flew a 100'. Next week the insurance company's investigator will seek to determine the cause of the explosion. We are in contact with the Scamp president regarding this. Something horrible went awry. Will provide updates as we learn more.  I can send photos to those who are interested.  Be safe Scamp owners!   

#15 Jimalberta

Jimalberta

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1361 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

That sounds like a propane leak explosion....I doubt if there is anything specific to Scamp that would account for something like this. It will be interesting to see what the investigators come up with.

....JIM and LINDA..He..retired Refrigeration , Heating and A/C tech for 44 years and counting. she ...retired bookkeeper.....2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.
IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

#16 ScampGuy

ScampGuy

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Yes, that's what we are thinking too.  For some unknown reason the Scamp could have filled with propane in the middle of the night and a flame source set it off.  We are aware that Scamp had a recall on some of its propane powered Dometic refrigerators a few years ago - apparently a metal fatigue issue resulted in a risk for fire.  We  found the refrigerator in the wreckage but it wasn't one of the models in the recall.

Thanks for your comments.

#17 BooneDocks

BooneDocks

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1226 posts
  • SKP#:107550

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Congratulations. welcome, and happy trails.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue Towing a 2006 Ford Focus Wagon
Follow Our Full-Time Travels Through Our Blog

#18 JCZ

JCZ

• Validated Members
  • 260 posts
  • SKP#:111910

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Janie, welcome to the board.

Are you going to start a blog of your journeys?  And about the pace, just remember......it's the journey that counts, not the destination.

2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS pulled by a 2012 F-250, 6.7L Diesel, Super Duty, 3.55 electronic locking differential, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed w/20" wheels.

#19 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4402 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

The Scamp has been around for at least 40 years. Our local Lions club had a early 70's model in our storage shed that we sold for a tidy sun a few years ago. They are great for the single traveler and we have seen many in  campgrounds in our  travels. Saw some new ones at the Tampa RV show this year and they have come a long way. You are going t o enjoy your travels.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#20 geysergazers

geysergazers

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1628 posts
  • SKP#:100106

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for writing. I just love my Scamp. However my gas mileage is only around 14 with my Jeep Liberty...this seems to be the biggest expense!

That sounds like good MPG. We get 12-14 towing 3000# Marco with a 2013 Ford Escape Ecoboost 2.0.

Lew

http://traveldolphin.blogspot.com/
Marco&Scape, a 2009 17Ft 3000Lb fully self contained CNW TT and a Turbocharged, Intercooled, Direct Injected Ford Escape TV

Growing older is so much more Fun than the only Alternative