Frozen Butterball Stuffed Turkey Doesn't Need Thawing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ropeshaft

Ropeshaft

• Validated Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Okay, this isnít a recipe but it deals with food which is why I posted here. We made our annual trip to Ontario in October to spend Canadian Thanksgiving with our friends. The dinner included a Butterball stuffed turkey. Here is what was new to us. The stuffed Butterball turkey was frozen and you simply cook it frozen with no lengthy thaw process like we are used to. We live in NE Wisconsin and have been looking everywhere for a frozen stuffed Butterball turkey that doesnít need thawing before cooking. The manager of a well stocked food store we visited yesterday said they had them years ago but he hasnít seen them in a long time. Is this just a Canadian item now or has somebody seen them available in the States?

#2 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1618 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Butterball has them listed on their website. I expect it's just a matter of demand whether a given store carries them or not.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS

Bigfoot Auto Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#3 Ropeshaft

Ropeshaft

• Validated Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

Thank you Dutch. I suspect you are correct about demand. There would probably be more demand if more people knew about them. It made Thanksgiving dinner preparation so much easier and it tasted great. I see there is a Contact Us on their website. Maybe they know of a retailer in our area.

#4 dirtyboots Donna

dirtyboots Donna

• Validated Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'd forgotten about those! Used them a few times in the past and right now would be great, but I asked at the local store (small town) and the gal looked at me like I had 2 heads.
Please let us know what you find out or if you find a store that carries them.

Thanks,
Donna

#5 BooneDocks

BooneDocks

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1147 posts
  • SKP#:107550

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Don't toss that frozen bird into a turkey fryer.Posted Image
2003 Country Coach Intrigue Towing a 2006 Ford Focus Wagon
Follow Our Full-Time Travels Through Our Blog

#6 Ran D. St. Clair

Ran D. St. Clair

• Validated Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Now I am cureous. How does such a thing work? Do they do something special to it so it can be cooked that way? What keeps it from getting overcooked on the outside before the inside gets fully cooked? Is there some special cooking process?

#7 Ropeshaft

Ropeshaft

• Validated Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

Iím not much help in the kitchen but I do know that our Canadian Thanksgiving dinner was great and my wife was really impressed with not having to go through the thaw process for the turkey. She did hear back from Butterball but their reply was sketchy at best. They said something about not being able to track UPC codes to determine location of sold products for the frozen stuffed turkeys and also that it was probably from a Canadian distributor. Their reply wasnít really helpful but the bottom line for us is that it is probably something only available in Canada. Bummer.

#8 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 6075 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

I'd never heard of such a product, but we just bought a frozen turkey breast at the Henderson, NV, Wal-Mart store that can be put directly into the oven. It's a Jennie-O brand, not Butterball. Obviously, it's not stuffed, but we have no room in our RV refrigerator for a full-size turkey.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#9 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 6125 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

If you do find one of the pre-stuffed turkeys it is important NOT to thaw it. Doing so increases the odds of bacteria developing in the stuffing which can make you sick. So, not only is it more convenient to not have to thaw it it is safer. Be sure you have room in your freezer for it before you buy it though.

Linda Sand
2012 Sprinter Sportsmobile
Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

#10 DJohnson2010

DJohnson2010

• Validated Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Since I'm in Ontario Canada, this probably won't help. Just bought 2 frozen stuffed butterball turkey breasts. Cooked one, it was delicious. Our local store had them on special. No waste, no bones, and the stuffing was really good! Going back to get 2 more. It took about 4 hrs. to cook from frozen. Once its out of the box, it will fit in rv fridge. Going to a big rock and gem show at end of month, will cook one ahead of time, and have a beautiful turkey supper one night, or possibly 2. 

Dona

The Johnson's
2010 Ram mega cab 4x4 3500(Black and tan)
2007 Open Road 38' 5th wheel
Ontario, Canada/Quartzsite, Arizona

#11 Boo boo

Boo boo

• All Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

I live in Canada and have cooked about 15 of the butterball stuffed frozen to oven turkeys. I do them in a roaster and they come out perfect every time. Not only are they convenient, they taste and are more tender than regular birds. Cost comes at a premium, but it is worth it.