• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Queen Jester

Queen Jester

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts
  • SKP#:68640

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

I am a wannabe geocacher, I have a basic understanding of how it works and attended the Geocaching 101 at the Escapade in Sedalia. Are there any geocachers out there that will be in the Mesa AZ area the month of December that would like to have a shadow to watch and learn how this is done? Our granddaughters are coming out at Christmas time and I'd love to have some knowledge on this so I can introduce them to this sport as well.
The Queen Jester, traveling with her husband, Left Brain in their RV named Seymour (See More...get it?)

#2 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7516 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

We should be there by the middle of December, be happy to go geocaching with you.
Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#3 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2025 posts
  • SKP#:111554

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'm in Tempe now. Got ointo it for the tourists I used to take out. I can give you some good instructions and even know there there are a couple in the Chandler area. Will be here probably until Dec. then in and out of the area.

Together we, Ranger and Jin

www.desertbandanna.com - The

Heartland North Country RETS31
2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty, Ext Cab, Dually 4x4, 7.3l diesel.

#4 Queen Jester

Queen Jester

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Barb & Dave,

This would be so cool to geo cache with you since our names are Pete and Cheryl Keeffe. My contact info is dollmaker127@gmail.com and my cell phone is 608-385-4675. Let's get in touch in December. Thanks for your reply.

Cheryl Keeffe

I am a wannabe geocacher, I have a basic understanding of how it works and attended the Geocaching 101 at the Escapade in Sedalia. Are there any geocachers out there that will be in the Mesa AZ area the month of December that would like to have a shadow to watch and learn how this is done? Our granddaughters are coming out at Christmas time and I'd love to have some knowledge on this so I can introduce them to this sport as well.

The Queen Jester, traveling with her husband, Left Brain in their RV named Seymour (See More...get it?)

#5 Queen Jester

Queen Jester

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

thanks - we will be arriving Dec 1st but will be close by before then - possible the SKP park in Congress..not sure yet...you know how that goes!

Cheryl

I'm in Tempe now. Got ointo it for the tourists I used to take out. I can give you some good instructions and even know there there are a couple in the Chandler area. Will be here probably until Dec. then in and out of the area.

#6 Mary Mary

Mary Mary

• Validated Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

This is wonderful. I am an avid geocacher so will be on lookout for other full timing people geocaching as I travel.

#7 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Geocaching is terrifc fun and takes you to neat and beautiful places you'd never dream of going.  Hope you can hook up with someone while in Mesa.

There is a Geocache BOF (Birds of a Feather) group you might want to join and see if any of their members will be in your area to go out with you. I also believe they have a rally at Quartzsite time mid-January which would be a fun learning experience.  Check them out. All communications with them is via email through a Yahoo group. No dues or fees. To Join:

Sue Pace   skpgeocachebof@gmail.com

Include your name(s) SKP#, phone# and, if you have one, a geocaching 'handle'.  Sue & Ken are great folks and they'll steer you in the right direction.

Have fun!  We love it!!!

Full-timers for 16 Years.; Now Seasonal
2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

#8 Mary Mary

Mary Mary

• Validated Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

Thank you 2gypsies. I will check into that group. Always looking for others to geocache with.

#9 sherryh

sherryh

• Validated Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I was wondering what gps was good for geocaching. I used my garmin 760 but we didn't find the cach. this was our first time and maybe the cach was gone. My husband and i would love to start geocaching and need some good advice. 

#10 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2025 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

I use a Delorme PN-20 for geocaching. I'm also a member at geocaching.com and would only be to glad to get together with a group here in the Congress, Phoenis metro area. I'm only a 45 min drive from North Ranch which actually puts me halfway between Mesa and Congress. If I can't find goose wrangling work here by the end of the year I''ll probably move to Congress for a few months. 

#11 sherryh

sherryh

• Validated Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

do the handhelds get you closer to the treasure? Mine got me within 2 ft but i found nothing and i can tell you in the area i was in their could not have been any treasure.

#12 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2025 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

The newer GPS seem to do better than the one I currently have but don't forget some geocachers are exceptionally devious at hiding them. I remember one in Palm Springs with 5 caches in one location. You had to solve a series of puzzles to find them.

Edited by Ranger and Jin, 01 November 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#13 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

We use a Garmin handheld - older unit & I don't have the model # available at this time. The GPSs will only get you in the nearby vicinity and if yours showed two feet you did good. . . and yes, that cache was probably there even if you thought not. Some folks are geniuses at hiding them. Also, rereading the cache description will help greatly -look for its size -  is it a mini (more difficult to find) and has it been found recently? You sometimes need any clue you can come up with.  Have fun!

2014 Chevy Equinox

#14 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4649 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:13 AM

Remember also that the location of the cache was taken from the GPS of the person who hid it.  Their GPS may not have been as accurate as yours.  Anyone can hide caches.  I have a high quality handheld Garmin Oregon that was specifically designed for geocaching, and  I'm happy if it gets me to withing 10 feet or so.  From at point it is just a matter of searching and trying to figure out where the cache is located.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#15 Ranger and Jin

Ranger and Jin

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2025 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

A bunch f the newer GPSs and a software upgrade for the older PN series Delormes gave us built in geocaching.

#16 sherryh

sherryh

• Validated Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

thank you for all the advice, i can't wait to go on another one. We are having a great time. 

#17 Mantislover

Mantislover

• Validated Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

This sounds like alot of fun. Anyone hide a cache in Maine? I hunt mushrooms so I can imagine some good hiding places where I hunt.

#18 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

There are most likely hundreds and hundreds hidden in Maine. They are all over the world - in deserts, mountains, islands, cities, etc.  You've probably walked by some.  Lots of fun!

2014 Chevy Equinox

#19 CoolJudy

CoolJudy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1087 posts
  • SKP#:89390

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

Mantislover, go to Geocaching.com and click on Hide and Seek, then in the Search options you can enter you location but zip code, GPS coordinates, or other options. Set the radius to a reasonable distance (1-3 miles). When the list shows up, use the Map This button in the upper right corner. You can scroll over and click an icon to see through details.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Yes, there really is a COOL, California.
Judy, Luke, and Star
SKP# 89390 - Boomers, SKP Elks, SKP Geocachers, Chapt. 8
FMCA, WIT, Datastorm User #15998, SKYPE: coolrvers
CoolRVers on the Road Blog
2007 Itasca Horizon 40TD and 06 Honda CR-V

#20 CoolJudy

CoolJudy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1087 posts
  • SKP#:89390

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

I am on the Admin. Team for the Geocaching BOF and encourage beginners to explore thee Geocaching.com Getting Started tab for videos, glosseries, etc. Great information!

Plan to go to Quartzsite, AZ in January for our annual 4 day rally. We have about 100 cachers and the Admin. Team teaches seminars for cachers of all levels, including "Newbies". Afternoons are full of caching outings and mentoring. Rallies are open and the fee of $3 per person is only to cover expenses. Lots of caching-related door prizes. Watch here later in the year for dates and location details. See the instructions above oh how to join the BOF.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Yes, there really is a COOL, California.
Judy, Luke, and Star
SKP# 89390 - Boomers, SKP Elks, SKP Geocachers, Chapt. 8
FMCA, WIT, Datastorm User #15998, SKYPE: coolrvers
CoolRVers on the Road Blog
2007 Itasca Horizon 40TD and 06 Honda CR-V