Air conditioning - truth or scam?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 yellow roadrunner

yellow roadrunner

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hi everyone. So a guy my husband works with has a very clean Winnebago Brave 31RQ for sale. Today we drove it and noticed the front air conditioning didn't cool. Just blew out air. When my husband asked him about that, he said that it didn't work when he bought it but that they always used the gen with roof air anyway even going down the road. So here's my question, is that true? Do most of you use the big ac units for the RV while going down the road? Also, what happens when we want to sell it and the air doesn't work? The next buyer may want the air to work. Should this make or break the deal?
Thanks in advance?Wendy
Wendy and RobinYellow Roadrunner

#2 dzwiss

dzwiss

• Validated Members
  • 462 posts
  • SKP#:104783

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

If he didn't bother to fix the air conditioner, what else did he not bother to fix?

2012 Jayco Eagle 321RLTS
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

#3 Scottiemom

Scottiemom

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1217 posts
  • SKP#:81403

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi everyone. So a guy my husband works with has a very clean Winnebago Brave 31RQ for sale. Today we drove it and noticed the front air conditioning didn't cool. Just blew out air. When my husband asked him about that, he said that it didn't work when he bought it but that they always used the gen with roof air anyway even going down the road. So here's my question, is that true? Do most of you use the big ac units for the RV while going down the road? Also, what happens when we want to sell it and the air doesn't work? The next buyer may want the air to work. Should this make or break the deal?
Thanks in advance?Wendy

We use the dash air, have on all our motorhomes. It is true you can run the generator and the roof air. We have done that occasionally if it was really hot to cool the coach for the dogs, but haven't had to for years. It doesn't always cool the cab up front very well. Deal breaker? Well, they can be expensive to fix, depending on what's wrong with it. If you really want the coach, I would negotiate a lower price due to that. I personally would not buy one if that didn't work.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Teacher's Pet
Mom to 2 Scotties
Butterscotch and Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40' QSH, 4 slides

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 22' B+
Fulltiming since 2005
http://skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com
http://map.datastorm...3.cfm?user=3912

#4 OHVRanger

OHVRanger

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

No dash air will definitely affect the price. WillPosted Image

Fulltiming off and on since the 70's
Now steady since 2000
http://www.smashword...view/willdecker

#5 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7489 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

If he didn't bother to fix the air conditioner, what else did he not bother to fix?

My thoughts exactly - wonder what else he 'made do' - for some things that might be ok, but it is just indicative of an attitude that I would find perplexing.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#6 yellow roadrunner

yellow roadrunner

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guys! We will definitely reconsider this a being a main problem. Also one other question, why do I have a "warn status" under my roadrunner picture?

#7 yellow roadrunner

yellow roadrunner

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Sorry, I tried to cancel this....

Edited by yellow roadrunner, 21 October 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#8 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1615 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

I repaired our non-working dash air shortly after we bought the rig. The compressor needed to be replaced, but I knew that going into the deal and allowed for it in my offer. We go in stages, depending the temperature. When the dash air can't keep up, we fire up the genny and run the living area A/C. If that's still not enough, we run the bedroom A/C as well. If that still doesn't do the job, we head for someplace cooler. :D

On edit: The "Warn status" bar is only seen by you, and as long as the bar is blank, you're in good standing. If you were to get a warning, it would be accompanied by an email from the administrator outlining your transgression.

Edited by Dutch_12078, 21 October 2012 - 08:13 PM.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS

Bigfoot Auto Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#9 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

It may only need some freon put in it.
I have to add around 4 cans to mine every spring.
Cheaper then paying a shop $100 plus a hour to spend hours trying to find my leak.
In the 35-40' hose from the rear to the front.
Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB Banks PowerPack
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
"08" LT2 HHR Toad
Posted Image

#10 oRV

oRV

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 752 posts
  • SKP#:75065

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

A number of years ago we had a Shasta with a Ford 460 engine. When our dash AC failed I was at first told that the clutch on the compressor was bad and would be expensive to repair. . . didn't get it fixed that day and am I glad. I later found an honest repair person who found that the wire engaging the compressor clutch had vibrated loose. He repaired it for nothing. It's worth a look. Other than that. . . I agree with the above posters and urge you caution. What year and what chassis is your proposed new vacation home got? As always, oRV
oRV
75065 Lifetime Member
2010 Phaeton 40 QTH
2011 Honda CR-V Toad

#11 George Stoltz

George Stoltz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2837 posts
  • SKP#:99899

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

This sums it all up. There are plenty of other units for sale. Keep looking.
George Stoltz

#12 Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

This sums it all up. There are plenty of other units for sale. Keep looking.

Sums it all up?? . . sight unseen - - - based on a couple of lines on an internet forum?? - Yikes!..:rolleyes:

Must be - "Cyber ESP" !!..:P

Ask the owner to take the MH to a mechanic of *your* choice for a check out.
You should do that with any motorized RV.

Same for the dash air. Get an estimate for whatever repairs might be needed.

You might end up missing a great deal - but you will never know.

The mechanic "check out" should be free - or maybe an hour labor.
A/C estimate should be free.

As ORV (and others) indicated - A/C might only need charging - and/or a simple fix.

Once you have the results - you can negotiate - or pass on the deal.

If the owner won't agree to the above - it's a deal breaker for sure..;)

#13 mptjelgin

mptjelgin

• Validated Members
  • 378 posts
  • SKP#:094494

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

I don't think that you should expect a mechanic check-out to be free or even a single hour. If you already have a relationship with a mechanic they might do it as a favor, but otherwise I would expect to be charged for at least a couple of hours of labor for a decent checkout.

This could get a little expensive if you do it for several units, but it can be worth it if they turn up $erious issues.

Good luck with your search!!

Mark
Mark & Teri
2012 NuWa Hitchhiker DA 330 FK, 2010 Ford F-350
RV travelers and volunteers

Mark & Teri's Travels

#14 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21303 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Also one other question, why do I have a "warn status" under my roadrunner picture?

Every member of the forum has that warn box under the avatar but only your own can be seen by those who are not part of the forum staff. It is there to remind people if they receive some warning for rule violation to be sure that they do not get surprised if repeating the behavior should get them barred. When you join that box is completely empty and each time one is warned of a rule violation, a part of it gets filled in. If it gets completely full, you get barred from participation but all warning also come with an email from the admin people who are the only ones who can use that function or bar members from posting.

Each of us have that same box so yours is not exclusive. :P

On the air conditioner, I would probably want an estimate of repair costs made before I considered purchasing it. With any class A, there will be times in really hot weather that the dash air conditioner will not keep up with needs because the area cooled is far larger than a dash air is intended to supply, but I do not run the generator for the roof air unless it is needed. After all, the generator also burns fuel and is not free. If he will get an estimate from a repair shop and share it with you, then I would still consider this RV but not otherwise.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#15 yellow roadrunner

yellow roadrunner

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

1350871886[/url]' post='576452']
I repaired our non-working dash air shortly after we bought the rig. The compressor needed to be replaced, but I knew that going into the deal and allowed for it in my offer. We go in stages, depending the temperature. When the dash air can't keep up, we fire up the genny and run the living area A/C. If that's still not enough, we run the bedroom A/C as well. If that still doesn't do the job, we head for someplace cooler. :D

On edit: The "Warn status" bar is only seen by you, and as long as the bar is blank, you're in good standing. If you were to get a warning, it would be accompanied by an email from the administrator outlining your transgression.

Thanks Dutch. I won't be getting any warning I hope! :)

#16 yellow roadrunner

yellow roadrunner

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

1350875164[/url]' post='576468']
A number of years ago we had a Shasta with a Ford 460 engine. When our dash AC failed I was at first told that the clutch on the compressor was bad and would be expensive to repair. . . didn't get it fixed that day and am I glad. I later found an honest repair person who found that the wire engaging the compressor clutch had vibrated loose. He repaired it for nothing. It's worth a look. Other than that. . . I agree with the above posters and urge you caution. What year and what chassis is your proposed new vacation home got? As always, oRV

It's a 97 winnebago brave. Only 28k miles! Offered him 16k for it depending on the air working.
Wendy

#17 yellow roadrunner

yellow roadrunner

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

[quote name='Leadfoot' timestamp='1350895999' post='576486']
Sums it all up?? . . sight unseen - - - based on a couple of lines on an internet forum?? - Yikes!..:rolleyes:

Must be - "Cyber ESP" !!..:P

Ask the owner to take the MH to a mechanic of *your* choice for a check out.
You should do that with any motorized RV.

Same for the dash air. Get an estimate for whatever repairs might be needed.

You might end up missing a great deal - but you will never know.

The mechanic "check out" should be free - or maybe an hour labor.
A/C estimate should be free.

As ORV (and others) indicated - A/C might only need charging - and/or a simple fix.

Once you have the results - you can negotiate - or pass on the deal.

If the owner won't agree to the above - it's a deal breaker for sure..;)

To all of you who posted: He is having the air checked out and did have the local RV repair shop he just had the brakes redone at, repair the gen carburetor since we noticed it lugged when running 1 a/c unit but not when running both. Other than that it only has 28K miles and not a scratch on the outside! If we buy this unit, we will replace the flooring and drapes to try and update it a little. I'll let you all know what we decide.

Wendy

#18 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7489 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Wendy,

I know you think that low mileage is an advantage, but understand that all of those parts are made to be run, not sitting. So belts and hoses become brittle, fluids suffer, etc. Plan on a complete change of fluids, filters, belts and hoses, as well as tires. The appliances, have they been used lately? Was the refrigerator on one of the recalls and was it done? When were the burners for the refrigerator and water heater last cleaned and the burners checked? Just make sure you realize that there will be more expenses once you get on the road and be prepared for it.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#19 strawberry joe

strawberry joe

• Validated Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I want the dash air to work...adding freon/coolant is not a fix ..the thing is leaking and will get worse.
Low miles on rigs is not unusual..it dosen't impress me in the least.
Aside from belts, hoses, tires ect. the pulleys that belts ride on rust with inactivity and start to throw belts,
replacing them gets expensive.
In my experience with 3 different older class A's , they are like boats ...a hole in the water into which you throw money.
By all means buy one and have fun, but just understand we do this because we love it, not because its cheap.
luck to you
30' Artic Fox TT, 1998 3500 dodge diesel dually.
Traveling with 2 rat terriers and "the cat"
Joe

#20 yellow roadrunner

yellow roadrunner

• Validated Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Barbaraok and Strawberry Joe,
Yes we realize low mileage is just how much the unit has gone down the road. The current owner says he has started the home and run it pretty regularly although I can't imagine someone really doing that when they hardly used it. Apparently he wanted to go rving but she didn't. We will get the air checked to see what's up. Even if we use the roof air, like some of you, when we decide to sell, we would want it working. It has 6 new tires and he just had the brake lines replaced. We are looking for something that we can pay cash for so as not to have payments.
Our first RV was a small class C and we had the transmission done and new upholstery. Then we had 2 5ers. These were when we had kids coming along. Now we are planning for the 2 of us once we make plans for Mom. This would probably be too small for full timing, but maybe by then we will be able to buy something bigger. We really appreciate all the advice from everyone. Hope we can meet everyone one day at one of the Escapades!
Wendy