Joining Escapees RV Club

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 PDX

PDX

• All Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

I have a Good Sam Club membership and the link to membership at Escapees RV Club says you pay $50 a year instead of $70 if you have Good Sam Club. But, I would like to know --- does membership in Escapees start the day you join and go for a year or is the year a calendar year?

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21303 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Welcome to the Escapee forums. The Escapee membership year is 12 months from the date of joining. Each member then renews in the same month every year.

Feel free to ask anything else that you have questions about and we will try to help. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

I have a Good Sam Club membership and the link to membership at Escapees RV Club says you pay $50 a year instead of $70

That is just for the 1st year, not every year. A yearly renewal after 1st year is $60

But the GS discount is $10 more the Passport America members get. :(
Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB Banks PowerPack
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
"08" LT2 HHR Toad
Posted Image

#4 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 6065 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

That is just for the 1st year, not every year. A yearly renewal after 1st year is $60

You can also renew for more than one year at a time which makes the per-year membership fee less than $60.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#5 Barbaraok

Barbaraok

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7490 posts
  • SKP#:90761

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

But not $50.00 a year.
Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
Full-timimg with our cat Shadow (16 yrs old)
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2004 Subaru Forester toad (Mischief)
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

#6 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1020 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Are you talking about a offer from Good Sam for an Escapees membership or a Passport America membership? Biker56 made mentionof Passport America.... just wondering because I haven't heard of a "deal" from Good Sam for an Escapees membership.

Full-timers for 16 Years.; Now Seasonal
2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

#7 Biker56

Biker56

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Are you talking about a offer from Good Sam for an Escapees membership or a Passport America membership?

No were talking about Escapees offer to Good Sam & Passport America members for a discount to join. :)
Plus a couple other member offers.

Escapees Join Offer's

Edited by Biker56, 09 October 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#8 2gypsies

2gypsies

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1020 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

Thanks Biker56 - I hadn't known about that.

Full-timers for 16 Years.; Now Seasonal
2004  Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

#9 fred1609

fred1609

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Whats in a membership?

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21303 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Whats in a membership?

If you want information about the club and what membership entails, the best way is to download this information packet. Once you got through it, come back and ask any questions that you may have.

dolphins.jpg

#11 LindaH

LindaH

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 6065 posts
  • SKP#:49643

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

But not $50.00 a year.
Barb

No, but that $50 is only for the first year; thereafter, membership goes up to $60, but you can pay less on a per-year basis if you sign up for more than one year at a time.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K

2011 Kia Soul

#12 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17636 posts
  • SKP#:51443

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Or take a regular membership now and upgrade to a lifetime membership later. If you decide not to die soon it is a great option.

First rule of computer consulting:
Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.
Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

#13 Connie B.

Connie B.

• Validated Members
  • 479 posts
  • SKP#:42410

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

We opted for the lifetime membership in 1996. It was a gamble. But we won this one. Not only are we both still alive :D but we are still active RVers.

Each person/couple needs to decide if the membership is valuable to them. We think it is worth the money. We like the magazine (best RVing magazine around right now), mail service, SKP ways (sharing, knowledge, parking), using the SKP parks, Escapade, chapters & BOFs, meeting Kay & Joe Peterson. We have made many friends from being SKP members and treasure those friendships.

It's like all memberships, if you don't use it or enjoy it then it's a waste of money. We do use this membership and feel it's worth the money to us. Only you can decide after looking at what the club offers if it's worth the cost to you. As usual different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Connie B., 10 October 2012 - 05:38 PM.

1993 Beaver Contessa 300 HP
2002 Jeep Liberty 4 wheel drive
genealogy, rallying, sightseeing
enjoying life

#14 Ropeshaft

Ropeshaft

• Validated Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

Or take a regular membership now and upgrade to a lifetime membership later. If you decide not to die soon it is a great option.

I have been watching for Lifetime Membership to become available but I haven't seen it available as an option. Am I missing something? I like the idea of not having payments.

#15 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17636 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

I think the club business office keeps a list of interested members that want to be notified when lifetime memberships become available. The club has some formula (not public) that they use to decide when to offer them and how many they are going offer.

#16 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21303 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

When we got our Life Membership, it was announced in the magazine that they were accepting a limited number of them. They offer them periodically as a percentage of the total membership. Each time the offer is announced, it is for a set time period and a limited number of life members and it is always announced in the Escapee's Magazine as well as on the electronic news bulletins that come via email. As I recall, they first offered them in the mid 90's but we foolishly waited until the second or third time it was offered before we took advantage of it, when we really should have jumped right in. I believe that each offering the cost has been somewhat higher than the one before. If memory serves, we have now had ours long enough that it has paid off, but I don't remember exactly what year we got ours, or what we paid for it. I believe that it takes something like 10 years of membership to break even on one, but that is only a best guess. B)

dolphins.jpg

#17 JCZ

JCZ

• Validated Members
  • 257 posts
  • SKP#:111910

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

No were talking about Escapees offer to Good Sam & Passport America members for a discount to join. :)
Plus a couple other member offers.

Escapees Join Offer's

Thanks for the info....just saved me a couple bucks!;)

But I never saw an option for "Lifetime Member" like some of the elite around here.:P

Edited by JCZ, 11 October 2012 - 01:27 PM.

2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS pulled by a 2012 F-250, 6.7L Diesel, Super Duty, 3.55 electronic locking differential, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed w/20" wheels.

#18 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21303 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

But I never saw an option for "Lifetime Member" like some of the elite around here.

There is nothing elite about receiving the offer, but it is only made to existing members and not opened to people who have not yet joined. I suppose if you consider everyone who is a member of Escapees to be elite....................... ?

dolphins.jpg

#19 Stanley P. Miller

Stanley P. Miller

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 17636 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

I'm not sure if a couple of the first few offers were first made at Escapades or not but they were made to raise money so the club could do something or other without having to borrow from a bank. The club history book probably has the details but mine isn't handy right now.

Later offers were made as members complained they were like Kirk and put off doing anything until it was a bit late. :-)

I'm not sure of the policies on setting the rates but after the projects were funded it was intended to be enough that the club could pay the lifetime members costs out of the lifetime dues account so the memberships wouldn't impact the club or other members.

Me I just whine at the wife because she wanted a local mail service when we got started and couldn't see joining a club to go RVing. If we joined when I wanted to we'd have a much lower SKP number!

#20 JCZ

JCZ

• Validated Members
  • 257 posts
  • SKP#:111910

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

There is nothing elite about receiving the offer, but it is only made to existing members and not opened to people who have not yet joined. I suppose if you consider everyone who is a member of Escapees to be elite....................... ?

That's just my twisted humor Kirk.....I'll quit now.;)

2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS pulled by a 2012 F-250, 6.7L Diesel, Super Duty, 3.55 electronic locking differential, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed w/20" wheels.