• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Butch & Fonda

Butch & Fonda

• Validated Members
  • 220 posts
  • SKP#:90513

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm looking for experiences and opinions, good or bad, with Quadra Bigfoot leveling systems and the company itself.

Some of the recent discussion about HWH made me think about this before I would have them install a system on our MCI Bus conversion, providing they even can.

HWH would only do an air system using our existing air suspension, in my discussions with Quadra we discussed using 12,000 or 17,000 pound hydraulic cylinders (4 of them). We have an appointment this Friday AM for them to look over the bus and determine if they can/will do it and a cost for it.

As always, thanks in advance,

Butch
Butch & Fonda Williams, MCI MC9

#2 Dennis M

Dennis M

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2585 posts
  • SKP#:107142

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

We had BigFoot levelers installed on our fiver (which weighs over 18k) in 2007 right after we bought it. Best RV investment we ever made!

They have been very reliable and trouble free and we have used them extensively. In 2010 we spent eight months in the fiver traveling from the Midwest to the southwest, to Fl and then New England, so we gave them a pretty good workout.

We did have a minor electrical issue the first trip after they were installed, turned out to be a loose connection in the control box, and their support was outstanding.

We're big fans.
Dennis & Nancy
Geneva, IL & Tucson, AZ

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2011 smart fortwo coupe riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06)
Our Travel Blog

#3 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4959 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

We are 6 years on our Big Foot system and are totally happy with it. Our trailer can get up to 22K with full tanks an=nd the (4) 17K jacks are well suited.

We had the new controller added which gave us a far better manual mode for changing tires, even though we aren't supposed to.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2014 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#4 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21912 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

We had Big Foot levelers on our motorhome which we owned for 14 years and lived in fultime for nearly 12 years. They are our jacks f choice for the future as well, for several reasons.

First of all, the first time I had any problem was the loss of a footpad while traveling on the highway on one of our early trips. When I called them they warned that I needed to check occasionally to make sure those bolts holding them on were tight, and then shipped me a new one. After about five years on the road and doing all maintenance myself, one of the position up indicators failed to work and when I called they refereed me to a tech, who told me how to determine the cause and then ordered a replacement switch for me as well as emailing me a set of instructions for it's installation. I had one solenoid fail and they overnight shipped me a new one, with instructions for installing.

At year 8 of fultime we passed near their Florida location and so I stopped in to have all of the system checked over and updated as needed. They replaced all of the remaining original solenoids, (six of eight) and put in some new seals as well as going completely through them. They also then gave me a new 1 year warranty on them and the entire cost was $384.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#5 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1726 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I installed Quadra's Bigfoot EZ-Leveler system myself on our '95 Coachmen Class A. Any questions I had were quickly and professionally answered by their tech folks. Having assisted too many fellow RV'ers in getting a recalcitrant HWH jack to retract or replacing broken springs, I really appreciate Bigfoot's fully hydraulic raising as well as lowering. The big foot print is nice too, especially on soft ground.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS

Bigfoot Auto Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#6 Butch & Fonda

Butch & Fonda

• Validated Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

Thanks to all who've responded, the feedback is very helpful. Every time I've called them they have been very pleasant and informative.

Our bus presently weighs 34,000 pounds, so 4 ea. 17,000 jacks will be sufficient with a good safety margin. We're looking at the manual system, both for simplicity (parts not needed don't go bad) and economics.

Their White Pigeon MI location is only a couple of hours from our place, so it will be very convenient to take the bus back for installation if they can do it.

Normally I would consider installing the system myself, but due to the weight and the construction of the undercarriage and suspension (no frame), it's best to leave this one to the experts.

Thanks again,

Butch

#7 Garry G

Garry G

• Validated Members
  • 218 posts
  • SKP#:115215

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I have the Bigfoot levelers on my 5th wheel. Great product and customer service.

Edited by Garry G, 02 October 2012 - 07:24 PM.

Garry & Theresa
2011 Carriage Cameo F35SB3
2009 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Banks Speed Brake

#8 Dennis M

Dennis M

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2585 posts
  • SKP#:107142

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Their White Pigeon MI location is only a couple of hours from our place, so it will be very convenient to take the bus back for installation if they can do it.

Butch

They have a couple of electrical hook-ups behind their shop. I went in the night before so I could be there when they opened in the AM.
Dennis & Nancy
Geneva, IL & Tucson, AZ

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2011 smart fortwo coupe riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06)
Our Travel Blog

#9 Dutch & Di

Dutch & Di

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1252 posts
  • SKP#:48048

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

we've had the Big Foot 4 pump automatic system on our Carriage for almost 4 years. We have been very pleased with it. Not only easy to level but helped a great deal when we had to change a tire. Hugs, Di

They have a couple of electrical hook-ups behind their shop. I went in the night before so I could be there when they opened in the AM.

SKP #48048
2014 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever & DeBoe Slide Step Dealers
http://www.plugitrig...hwheelREDO.html      e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21912 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hugs, Di

What ever were you doing up at 1:30am?

dolphins.jpg

#11 Butch & Fonda

Butch & Fonda

• Validated Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Dennis,

Thanks for the heads up on the hook ups, I'll check with them about availability when I confirm our appointment tomorrow.

Plugging would be handy since we just lost the rotor on our Power Tech genset. I've got the genset pulled but not torn down yet. I've found a couple of shops that will rewind it. Neither Power Tech or Marathon (they built the generator end) will sell individual rotors or stators. (That sucks!)

Thanks again,

Butch

#12 Dutch & Di

Dutch & Di

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1252 posts
  • SKP#:48048

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

My day starts about 9 am and I am up til anywhere between 12:30 and 3 am. Life in the fast lane I guess. :P Hugs, Di

What ever were you doing up at 1:30am?

SKP #48048
2014 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever & DeBoe Slide Step Dealers
http://www.plugitrig...hwheelREDO.html      e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

#13 Butch & Fonda

Butch & Fonda

• Validated Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Well, we arrived there LATE Thursday night, and got plugged in and settled. I was all prepared for an early start.

Pleasant surprise! No one came around, finally about 8:30, we started looking for the office and found them. Brandon said "he knew we were there but there was no rush".

We took our buses over to the shop area, Jim had us bring them in one at a time to figure out what was needed and then he had a consultation with Brandon who told us that it would take a little while to work up the quotes.

We left both rigs there while we went RV surplus shopping.

When we returned, Brandon had the quotes done. Bruce took his bus and went on to the campground but with Brandon's permission we left ours parked there and did some more shopping.

Overall opinion: I am very impressed with the company as a whole. The shop had the "normal" operating shop dirt, but no clutter. They have a straight truck in that they are stretching and reworking the air lines on. I have my own shop, so I feel somewhat qualified to judge, and their work and welding are very high quality.

While the pricing is NOT inexpensive, I think that it will be a worthwhile upgrade. They need our bus for 2 weeks but are only charging 40 hours labor, the rest of the time is for "on the job" custom design. It seems that MCI did some changes on the second run of MC9s (the "B" models) for New Jersey Transit and that will affect the mounting points.

Anyway, now that this post is way too long, the short version is: from my observation thus far, Quadra/Bigfoot appears to be a "top drawer" outfit and now I'm on a "fund raising mission" to pay for the project.

Thanks again for all of your input,

Butch

Edited by Butch & Fonda, 09 October 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#14 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21912 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

While the pricing is NOT inexpensive, I think that it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Quadra is a lot like what I used to tell my customers about what we charged for service work. "We do not claim to be the cheapest priced, but we do claim to be the most for what you pay." :)

dolphins.jpg