• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 SWharton

SWharton

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

Can I tow 4 down a Smart car? I have also heard that towing 4 down chews up the front tires. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

#2 Adam n Ali

Adam n Ali

• Validated Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

I've not done it, but I have seen it done. I've owned 4 Smart cars in the past, 2 roadsters (not available in the US) and 2 standard models, because of the gearbox I'd be more inclined to stick them on a trailer.

Can I tow 4 down a Smart car? I have also heard that towing 4 down chews up the front tires. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Adam n Ali

Follow our Blog
www.plevin.net/america

#3 Dennis M

Dennis M

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2555 posts
  • SKP#:107142

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'm with Adam. We've had two smarts, a 450 and a 451. The clutch and trans on the newer 451 model do not seem as fragile as those on the 450, but with the small, lightweight trailers that are available for smarts I think that would be a better way to go.

We carry ours on the truck.

Edited by Dennis M, 02 October 2012 - 08:41 AM.

Dennis & Nancy
Geneva, IL & Tucson, AZ

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2011 smart fortwo coupe riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06)
Our Travel Blog

#4 DJW

DJW

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2537 posts
  • SKP#:63119

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

The 2008's and newer 451's are towable 4 down. The pre 2008's or the 450's and not towable 4 down. The folks that I have spoken with who tow a 451 behind a MH or Class C have said they tow great. Because of the weight just 1,588lbs there is no need for any additional braking device.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

#5 Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson

• Validated Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Pulled a 2009 for two years with no issues, OTHER than the much discussed and well documented steering wheel "flip/flop" problem. A simple bungee cord through the bottom of the steering wheel down to the seat frame cured it. While true there is no real NEED for an aux braking system, the laws in a very few states still require one. However, I have never heard of anyone encountering LEO action for the lack of one. I traded my SMART away when the two year warranty ran out. I'll let that statement stand on its own!!!

If you plan to park a SMART for very long, you'll need some type of trickle charger. A paracitic current draw from the on-board systems depletes their toy starting battery in about 2 weeks. There is a perfect spot to semi-permanently install a BatteryMinder model 12248 into the removable passenger-side floor piece, under which you will find the baby battery.

The 2008's and newer 451's are towable 4 down. The pre 2008's or the 450's and not towable 4 down. The folks that I have spoken with who tow a 451 behind a MH or Class C have said they tow great. Because of the weight just 1,588lbs there is no need for any additional braking device.

Dennis

Mike Simpson
W5SUF
2009 Optima 42' Truck Conversion
Freightliner Columbia