trailer axle upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Need to upgrade axles on my 37 foot weekend warrior toy hauler. I currently have three 6000 pound axles with 15 inch wheels. I need upgrade to at least 7200 pound axles know that I will need to replace springs wheels and tires also. Any recommendations on where to get the best price on parts shipping them to California? Thank you Charlie

#2 Fly'n Finn

Fly'n Finn

• Validated Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

My suggestion would be to contact Gary Wheeler at Moryde in Elk Hart Indiana. Have him set you up with 8K IS axles. May want to consider upgrading your wheels and tires to 17.5". Trailerwheelsandtires.com had the best prices a couple years ago. They ship tires mounted and balanced Fed Ex to your door. Gary may have a dealer near you who could do the install.

Hope this helps

Brad

#3 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4760 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

While axles, brakes, springs, and shocks bought individually might be cheaper, but getting a MOR/ryde IS system as a unit might work out better. You get independent suspension, and a stub frame that reinforces your trailer frame are features in addition to heavier axles.

While you are add it, it you don't have hydraulic brakes, you might consider it at the same time.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale
Red Rover - 2000 Volvo 770, Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky II - 2012 Chevy Equinox, Living on the Road since 2006

Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

#4 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 18650 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I totally agree with the previous posters. You want to go to IS. You will not regret it. While doing so, upgrade to 17.5 wheels and H rated tires. This is a common upgrade and pretty much ends tire issues. You will love the Mor/Ryde - it is well worth the cost. And if you do not have disc brakes for sure put them on. I would also go with the newer NeverLube setup...but some will argue against that.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er being built; New Horizons Ambassador

2009 Volvo 780,  D16 515/1850, 230" wb, I-Shift,  custom smart hauler deck by Herrin
2012 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#5 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

What kind of money ballpark are we talking about for complet Mor/Riyde Set up?
Agree with 17.5 wheels. But tight on room for taller tire.
Right now I have st255/175R15

#6 Steveoreno

Steveoreno

• Validated Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

I was able to get tire (Goodyears) locally including mounting and put on the trailer MUCH less than Trailertire. I did buy the wheels from them.

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire

#7 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4760 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

By nature of the MOR/ryde stub frame, the axles will be at least two inches lower and can easily be 4 inches lower which will handle any tire diameter increases.

Besides, the diameter of ST255/75R15 is virtually the same diameter as a 215R75T17.5

Edited by Mark & Dale Bruss, 13 September 2012 - 11:45 AM.

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#8 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

Thank you for the help.
Not sure how long we will keep this trailer.
And we only make short 200 to 400 mile
Round trip runs at this time don't want to
Spend a ton of money but has to be done
Thanks Charlie

#9 oscarvan

oscarvan

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1147 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

How much weight increase are you talking? Is the frame designed to handle that weight? Will you be exceeding the MGVW??????????
Super Max is a 2012 Chevvy 3500 Crew Cab Dual Rear Wheels.....Duramax Diesel and Allison 6 Speed. Max takes care of TWO RV's:......"Yertle" our 2012 Lance 1191 Truck Camper for short missions, and "The Castle" a 2013 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King HD for our longer vacations.

#10 Mark & Dale Bruss

Mark & Dale Bruss

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4760 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

How much weight increase are you talking? Is the frame designed to handle that weight? Will you be exceeding the MGVW??????????

Most of the people here are changing tires, wheels, axles to get a better tire load rating It is not unusual for a trailer to be delivered with enough tires load capacity to handle the trailer weight minus the pin weight.. And this isn't just low end trailers.

My target is the GVWR of the trailer divided by the number of tires. That is my target tire load capacity. I want that margin in my tires and just about everything I own is in that trailer.

Now to raise tire load capacity (Load Rating), you often have to go to larger rims, like 16" rims from 15" rims or from going to G-Load from E-load tires which requires higher psi rated rims. And larger rims sometimes envoke an axle change. Going from15" rims to 16" often requires axle hub changes and that is when the axle changes come in.

Again the changes may not require all the component changes, but that is how the discussion goes.

Changing these items with hope of raising the GCWR is highly limited by the frame and not the target..

Please Emails only
Mark & Dale

www.dmbruss.com

#11 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Manufacturers GVWR is a hard one. company had class-action lawsuit and ultimately went bankrupt part of the reason false weight stickers. Trailer is a 37 foot weekend warrior toy hauler. Trailer frame may have been built by Zieman. Sticker shows Dry10,000 pounds. believe to be more. 120 gallons of water 20 gallons generator fuel
40 gallons fuel station fuel approximate weight 1200 pounds gCRW rating 4200 pounds this makes trailer just legal barely for California without having RV license. Had trailer custom-built adding 2 feet two rear end was assured trailer could handle wait that sticker is underrated. Go figure when we picked up the trailer and had paid for it they had us sign a release along with all other buyers stating our truck could handle the weight of the trailer F350 super duty at that time. At this time combined weight rating truck and trailer 37,000 pounds. Estimate trailer at 18,000 pounds. As three 6000 pound axles

#12 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

We have had trailer for six years no problems until last two trips. last trip out carrying 400 pounds less weight, driver side rear axle main leafspring bent U-shaped. Trip before that passenger side rear tire blew out. Trailer axles unloaded have U-shaped camber built in. Loaded go flat told that driving down the road axels bow negative or downward. Tire where appears normal. Tire that blew out was one year old and we were only on the freeway 10 minutes.

#13 RickandJanice

RickandJanice

• Validated Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

What kind of money ballpark are we talking about for complete Mor/Riyde Set up?
Agree with 17.5 wheels. But tight on room for taller tire.
Right now I have st255/175R15

We had MorRyde I.S. installed this year at the MorRyde Service Center in Indiana. No extras, just the two axle, 8K system cost $2800.00 installed. We used all of our existing wheels and breaks so only purchased the 8K dual axle system. Price will vary depending on what extras you request and what weight rating you request. For instance, 8K axle system is more expensive than 7K and adding breaks or larger wheel hubs will also add cost. If you are a 3 axle system, that will also be more expensive. MorRyde is great to work with and the price they give you will be very accurate. Gary Wheeler is their main salesman but if he is not at the Service Center when you call, they will direct you to the next available person who you will find is just as informed about the product and installation and just as professional. We are very happy with this upgrade and cannot believe the amount of reinforcement it adds to the trailer frame. We used existing breaks and wheels at that time and then purchased 17.5" H rated tires and new wheels through trailertiresandwheels.com at later date. Not only do they have very good prices, they ship the tire and wheels already mounted and balanced.

"Bloom where you are planted"
2006 F350 6.0 L Diesel, Lariet, Firestone air bags, Reese 20K Hitch
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 32TK3, MorRyde Pin Box, MorRyde I.S., Progressive Ind. EMS
Class of 2013 (12/21/2013)

#14 broncohauler

broncohauler

• Validated Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Thank you
Will look into it Charlie