Interstate rest area regulations in ga and sc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 jensenbeachbob

jensenbeachbob

• Validated Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:20 AM

Hi, Have you stopped in interstate rest areas, gone back to your tow trailer to nap? I'm thinking particularly of Georgia and South Carolina. Is there state police presence through the night for safety? Is there a set number of hours you can be parked? I am thinking of three or 4. Thanks. Bob

#2 Technomadia

Technomadia

• Validated Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Each state varies in the rules and regulations on this, and sometimes individual rest stops have their own variations.

You can usually check state's own website to find out, or query the various free overnight parking resources to find out about specific rest stops.

Consulting the 'State Lines' iPhone app we wrote to track these varying state laws us travelers face - I find that : GA allows overnight parking, no problem (unless otherwise stated). SC does not at all (but you're probably ok for a couple hours for a quick nap).

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Blog: Technomadia.com
Full-time gen-X technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

RV: Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Toad: Pixel: 2009 MINI Cooper

#3 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 20254 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Keep in mind that when you stay in a rest area you are a very easy target for those who strike and then quickly disappear down the highway. I have never seen a rest area that had a police presence at all times. That is probably cost prohibitive.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#4 rexandrose

rexandrose

• Validated Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Rose and I have stayed a number of times in the Georgia rest areas. Always felt safe. Will do it again soon.

RexandRose

#5 Atchafalaya_man

Atchafalaya_man

• Validated Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

We have observed that the prima rest areas in which to nap, usually with 24 hour security, and often with a RV Parking Section, are the "Welcome Center Rest Areas" as you ENTER a state. If you are LEAVING a state, you just passed one, but in the opposite lanes for the state you are leaving. You can double back to the state you are leaving, and within a couple of miles of the state line find their "Welcome Center".

We have stayed in some for overnight hours, even having breakfast there before resuming our trip. And, the bathrooms are usually kept clean for welcoming tourists. Some have dump stations. Further into the state, it's just a parking spot as Kirk has said, far less safe that the showcase welcome center.

Even so, we always try to park as close to the buildings/bathrooms as we can, even for a potty break.

#6 Doug7155

Doug7155

• Validated Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

Some Florida rest areas have armed night security.