• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Queen Jester

Queen Jester

• Validated Members
  • 27 posts
  • SKP#:68640

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

We have a 12101M Norcold refrigerator in our 2007 Fleetwood Southwind. I've had to drain the excess water frequently which is a hassle as you must undo six screws to remove the retaining bar to get to the shelf. This may have been fixed by my husband as he found the other end of the drain tube was plugged and it is now open and running outside of the RV. The water build up doesn't seem as bad. However, during this dilemna we read an article in Motorhome Magazine and it dealt with the same issue and suggested testing the door seals by inserting a dollar bill and slowly pulling it out. There is very little drag on the edges and non at all in the center (four door unit). I called the 800 # given in the article as it sounded like they might replace the door seals for free. The man I spoke with said there may have been one model in the past that they could do this, but the seals are built into the doors and we would have to purchase all four new doors. I'm guessing that's pretty pricey and we'd like to just replace or enhance the seal if possible. Any suggestions?
The Queen Jester, traveling with her husband, Left Brain in their RV named Seymour (See More...get it?)

#2 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21341 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

It is probably true that the drain tube was part of the problem as they are supposed to have a small hole that allows the water to exit from the condensation catch tray. It should allow all of the water to drain from that try. It may also be that your door seals are not what they should be. To replace them on any RV refrigerator that I know of requires replacement of the refrigerator doors and that is expressive. It may be that if you warm the seals with a hair dryer you can reform them at least to some degree to improve the seal. A leaking seal does cause an increase in condensation inside of the refrigerator, particularly if you are in a humid area.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#3 h2guy

h2guy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 596 posts
  • SKP#:68626

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

To replace them on any RV refrigerator that I know of requires replacement of the refrigerator doors and that is expressive.

Dometic sells a door seal kit that I looked at when we experienced a similiar problem. But the near $200 cost for some seals put me off.

I went to Home Depot and found insulating strips (rubber, adhesive back) that approximated the thickness of these seals. Cut it to length and used that for several years till the coils sprang a leak (11 yrs old).

On the Dometic, there are magnetic strips behind the seal that cause the seal itself to be pushed to the reefers edges (they're metal) thus proving a good seal. I don't know a thing about Norcolds though.

An appliance parts store also had a universal seal kit (magnetic) that I looked at (sold by the foot) but the seal itself was too thick for my application.
Rick & Carolyn
01 F350 SC 6x6 DRW "Hercules"
01 CarriLite
In an interview,General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for forgiveness toward the people who have harbored and abetted the terrorists who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks on America. His answer was "classic" Schwarzkopf. The General said, "I believe that forgiving them is God's function. OUR job is to arrange the meeting."