12 replies to this topic

#1 bobsea43

bobsea43

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 896 posts
  • SKP#:107288

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Wow - I was looking at getting an E-Z pass for the RV as we will be on the Eastern Shore of VA this Fall and plan on doing a lot of travelling in New England next summer and fall and all the states involved use the same E-Z Pass! But, the rules do not seem to allow for an RV with a towed vehicle.

It also appears that if there is an E-Z pass for the RV/toad combo, I would still need a separate one for the toad when it is not attached to the vehicle!

I have e-mailed them for clarification but looking for some input from those that have been there-done that!

I have a FL Sun Pass and have complained frequently because it is not compatible with the E-Z Pass system but now see why! SunPass is substantially less complex a system and much more user friendly then the E-Z Pass seems to be!

Bob & BJ
On the road to ournextstop!
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 42QRH (Tucson)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited  (Oliva)
Manta Ray 14 Kayak
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 1000 Kayak
Our FT Blog is at this link

#2 Musicman

Musicman

• Validated Members
  • 26 posts
  • SKP#:78681

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

I have e-z pass with our truck/5th wheel and have had no problems. I have a another one for a car. Since it the transponder just checks axles, I don't see the problem with going with just the one on the rv.

#3 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2752 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

We have an EZPass on the windshield of the MH and a second one in an aluminized pouch in the toad. When the toad is being towed only a single pass is read and the appropriate toll by axle or weight (depending on the state) is charged.

Despite musicman's comment about axles, a second pass might result in the MH being charged for 4 axles (itself plus the toad) and then the toad being charged for two of its own. Even more likely is that on a road like the PA Turnpike which charges by weight the MH and the toad will each get charged, instead of the toad being considered part of the weight of the MH.

For those occasions when the toad is on its own we simply take the pass out of its pouch and put it back on the window; it's not really all that complicated.

The unknown variable here is what is the delay time in the toll reading system before it is ready to charge a second toll (as if there was a second vehicle going through the lane)? In Houston where the pass system is a stick-on and can't be removed they assured us that the system can't react to a second vehicle that close to the first one so having a pass on the toad wouldn't result in a second toll (and it hasn't). I have no idea what the delay time for EZPass is, but with the high speed readers in use on some roads, it must be pretty quick. Since EZPass gives you the foil pouches and tells you to use them if you don't want to get charged, it seems IMHO to be the smart and easy thing to do.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#4 Phil Saran

Phil Saran

• Validated Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'm sure each state or area is a bit different, out here in California I have the easy toll pass on my truck, but when towing
a trailer they force me to go through the lane on the right so they can charge me by the axle.

Phil & Alberta Saran

Colorado

#5 George Stoltz

George Stoltz

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2837 posts
  • SKP#:99899

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

We were in New England last summer/fall and had the Illinois I-Pass which was treated the same as EZ Pass by the scanners and computers. But I did get a letter from one of the states saying we owed then $1.75. I sent a check right away and never heard anymore.
George Stoltz

#6 kath31

kath31

• Validated Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

I have a mh/toad combination. I use the I Pass. 1 simple phone call to a pleasant, competent customer service rep - I had several questions - like you. They told me I needed just 1 transponder and move it from mh to toad as needed. It reads the axles - no need for a 2nd transponder. It works great. I use the auto replenish, but when traveling long distnaces on toll road w/mh - I up my balance prior. Check out the I Pass - I tried to get EZ Pass - NJ and PA - it was a hassle. I Pass - was EZ :)
'02 NEWMAR KOUNTRY STAR
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN - 4 FOOTED NAVIGATOR
SKP#97433

#7 beejay

beejay

• Validated Members
  • 23 posts
  • SKP#:37134

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have EzPass from Pa and it works same as kath31 uses the I Pass. No problems in any state I used it in. Just put the transponder in car or motorhome.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Cummins ISB 275
Freightliner chassis

2009 Escape

#8 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1704 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have two NY issued E-ZPass tags for the coach, one for the coach alone, and one for the coach and toad. The toad has its own tag that's kept in a shielded envelope when towing, as is the coach alone tag. While juggling the tags can be a minor irritant, the upside is that we only get charged passenger car per axle rates on the NY Thruway. We've also never had a problem getting charged the correct toll on other roads in other states.

You'll also be pleased to know that the SunPass folks and the E-ZPass folks should have a compatible system in place soon. I don't know if that will require replacing your existing SunPass or not though. The E-ZPass will also be compatible in North Carolina and Georgia soon.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS

Bigfoot Auto Leveler System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#9 Joe

Joe

• Validated Members
  • 167 posts
  • SKP#:74321`

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

Just make sure the last license of your combination is registered on your account. You can list multiple vehicles on your account.
1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel
2005 DesertFox 28KS
The toy is the wife's sewing machines
1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile
"...traveled the same road as many..."

#10 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4361 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

"It also appears that if there is an E-Z pass for the RV/toad combo, I would still need a separate one for the toad when it is not attached to the vehicle! "

Well yes. It is a seperate vehicle..You mean you want one EZ pass to cover all your vehicles??? I would like that..
Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#11 kath31

kath31

• Validated Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

My transponder is attached to the windshield with a hook and loop - I just move the transponder from mh to toad as needed - no 2nd transponder needed. I Pass is not a decal type system. I have both vehicles registered to the 1 transponder.
'02 NEWMAR KOUNTRY STAR
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN - 4 FOOTED NAVIGATOR
SKP#97433

#12 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2752 posts
  • SKP#:106682

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

My transponder is attached to the windshield with a hook and loop - I just move the transponder from mh to toad as needed - no 2nd transponder needed. I Pass is not a decal type system. I have both vehicles registered to the 1 transponder.

At the time we got our EZPass Maryland did not charge for transponders. Having a second one kept in the toad makes for one less thing to have to remember to move. It's not vital, but nice.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels
rv+2+signature.jpg

#13 Ropeshaft

Ropeshaft

• Validated Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

Just a comment about vehicles registered on your account. I have the I-Pass which is totally compatible with EZ Pass and I do have my Class A and my toad listed on my account. I travel via the airlines a lot for business and typically rent cars at my destination. If I was in a location where I would encounter tolls, I used to call I-Pass when I got to my location and give them the make, model, color and license plate number of my rental car so they could add it to my account. On one trip I forgot to call them. It didnít make any difference. My I-Pass account was charged just the same. Now I never update my account for a rental car and havenít had any problems. I have also allowed a family member to use my I-Pass without their vehicle being listed on my account and no problem with that either. If my I-Pass transponder goes through a toll I get charged regardless of which vehicle it is in.