• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pat and Ed

Pat and Ed

• Validated Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

We have solved the fresh water monitor problem I was asking about in another thread. The fresh water tank isn't filling fully. This is the first park we haven't had water so we have had to rely on the fresh water tank. We filled it until no more water would come in. (It seemed to fill too quickly.) The gauge said it was 1/3 full. Our first thought (hope) was that the gauge wasn't working right. We ran out of water in one day. Clearly the tank isn't filling.

We are still under warranty so I'm sure it will be fixed no problem. But I'm curious about what could be wrong. Logically it just doesn't make sense. And I like for things to be logical. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4601 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I didn't go look at your other thread but what kind of a fill setup do you have? Do you have a fill tube on the side of the rv that's specifically for filling your fresh water tank? Or do you fill your water tank off of the same city water connection that you'd hook up to without using from your fresh water tank?

Brian

#3 Rif

Rif

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4651 posts
  • SKP#:84860

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

We're going to need a lot more information be we can comment on the situation. What kind of a rig do you have? Where is the water tank located? What kind of fill system? How did you determine it was full when you filled it? Did water come out the overflow or back up in the fill? Is this a pressurized fill system or gravity fill system?

How can you be certain the tank was not full? How large is it? If you have never used the tank before, how do you know how much water you normally use? Did you take showers, run a washer or any other high use activities?

The usual reason for not filling all the way is the lack of a proper vent, but the kind of fill system and how you determined it was full will have a great deal to do with commenting on that.
2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

#4 Pat and Ed

Pat and Ed

• Validated Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

We're going to need a lot more information be we can comment on the situation. What kind of a rig do you have? Where is the water tank located? What kind of fill system? How did you determine it was full when you filled it? Did water come out the overflow or back up in the fill? Is this a pressurized fill system or gravity fill system?

How can you be certain the tank was not full? How large is it? If you have never used the tank before, how do you know how much water you normally use? Did you take showers, run a washer or any other high use activities?

The usual reason for not filling all the way is the lack of a proper vent, but the kind of fill system and how you determined it was full will have a great deal to do with commenting on that.

We have a Heartland Elkridge. There is a separate freshwater input. It is a gravity fill system, 57 gallon capacity. When we filled it the water was pouring out. We pulled the hose out and waited a few moments and tried again (in case there was air in the line). We tried to let the water run in slowly, it poured out. Forced in in fast, it poured out. The monitor inside said it was 1/3 full. We used it for one day. We each took a shower separately and washed dishes once and it was empty.

Curious-huh?

#5 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4601 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Just curious, does it have a vent somewhere near the fill tube? Ours has a vent (small hole about 1/2" in diameter with a screen over it) maybe 2" from the fill tube that I can hear air coming out of as the fresh water tank fills.

Kinda sounds like you've got air trapped in the tank that's pushing the water back out. I've heard of people having a vent clogged or vent tube kinked or a vent tube that's way to far into the tank that wouldn't allow air to escape as the water filled... blows the water right back out the fill tube.

Looking forward to hearing what you find. Best of luck,

Brian

#6 Dave & Kathy

Dave & Kathy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 899 posts
  • SKP#:105185

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

I think that Brian T has got your answer. It sounds to me to be a vent tube problem. Either the tube is kinked or plugged or . . . Check it out and see if you can find an obstruction. On mine, when I filled it you could hear a rush of air coming out of the vent tube which was next to the fill location. Best of luck.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

#7 Pat and Ed

Pat and Ed

• Validated Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

My escapees pals are brilliant! It was a clog in the vent line. The hubby took the hose off and blew in it. Something was lodged and came free. We filled the tank for the first time ever!

Thanks for your help! You're the best!

(whatever was in the line is now in our fresh water tank but I'll worry about that later)

#8 Newt

Newt

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2509 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

My escapees pals are brilliant! It was a clog in the vent line. The hubby took the hose off and blew in it. Something was lodged and came free. We filled the tank for the first time ever!

(whatever was in the line is now in our fresh water tank but I'll worry about that later)

Perhaps a good time to re-sanitize the system.

Newt
2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB
2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

#9 BrianT

BrianT

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4601 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Glad to hear!! :)

Hoping it wasn't anything too nasty that went into the tank. Still, might not be a bad idea to sanitize, though.

Congratulations on a much better working fresh water tank. :D

Brian

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21411 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

There is a good chance that what you had was some water in the vent line from the tank. It is not uncommon for the tube that is put in to vent air from the tank to be routed in such a way that the like sags at some point in a "U" so that if water should get pushed into it the water will then sit in the bottom of that U and so makes a hydraulic lock to prevent air escaping. You may want to check to see if that tube has slack in it so that this can happen, as it will happen again at some point in the future if it is that way.

If this is the case, you simply blew the water out, until you fill it too quickly or too full and get more in to cause it once more. ;)

Edited by Kirk, 29 July 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#11 Gary801

Gary801

• All Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi Guys:

Don't know how relevent this is but when we had our keystone Challenger 5th Wheel, we had the very same problem. What was happening was that it was developing a vapor lock or i guess a great big air bubble about half way full. we wen't to our RV dealer and he gave us a short hose fitting specifically for filling our fresh water tank. I ended up just leaving the water hose end in the fill port even as it was shooting back out. It eventually got past the vapor lock and completely filled the tank.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Gary & Nancy

05 Alfa See Ya

#12 Bob Cochran

Bob Cochran

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2076 posts
  • SKP#:105438

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

I agree with Kirk at least on mine. While I have not verified it I think mine has a U in it that holds water. What I have done is cut a piece of new rubber fuel line(what I had around) that just fit over the vent and screen and blew into it and the water in it would go back in the tank. I do this just before each fill then fill tell water comes out the vent and it is full. Now if I stopped filling just before water came out of the vent I would not have to clear water out of the vent probably have not tried that. To easy to clear the vent line with the fuel hose besides doing this draws fun discussion with neighbors. :rolleyes: Before susing the fuel line to clear the vent wouls put my hand around the fill tub and hose so a little pressure would build up and it would push the water out of the vent and start filling all the way. Of course that winds up with getting your armpit all wet and shirt in most cases. :P Yes before doing the above mine would only fill to 1/3 as you said yours does. :blink:

Good luck sounds like you got a handle on it one way or the other. :)

Own a 37 foot 2014 Keystone Fuzion pulling with 1998 Freightliner Century. Fortunate to retire early intending to full time but circumstances prevents this at the present time. Living in a sticks and bricks home all paid off DW has to have roots some place and this works.

#13 Kirk

Kirk

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21411 posts
  • SKP#:60541

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

I should have mentioned that it is pretty easy to reroute the vent line to prevent that from happening, if you have access to it. As long as there is no low point in the line for the water to stand, this will not happen. Simply find that low point and support it so that the line goes up and over a hump, then back down to the vent and it will work just fine. You could also shorten the tube so that is is one continuous slope to the tank, but that won't leave any slack to be able to trim the end if you should ever need to do that. What I have done is to simply find a way to support the center of the vent so that it is continuously up to the high point and then down to the connection at the water fill connection. It really doesn't matter if the line has some sag, as long as it isn't enough to allow water to collect and stay in the line. It is when that water completely blocks the vent that the problem happens.

Good travelin !...............Kirk
Author & Escapee's Magazine contributor
Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers again.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure
dolphins.jpg

#14 marvmarcy

marvmarcy

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

We have a Heartland as do good friends and what you experienced isn't uncommon. If you look behind the water service panel, you'll likely see that the flexible hose between the fill port and the tank is horizontal for about 4-5' and actually sags in the middle. This sag holds water that blocks air from exiting the tank through the fill flex hose which means the air bleed line must handle all the air. If you fill too fast, water will come back out the fill port before the tank is full. I solved the problem by buying a 8' length of clear tubing and attaching a hose fitting to one end. I feed about 5' of hose through the flex hose into the tank and fill throught it. It is a bypass around a design flaw, but it works well, and I can completely fill the tank.
2001 Volvo VNL42T420, ISX450/1650, ET air hitch
2012 Landmark Key Largo fifth wheel
Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT
Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL
USAF Retired