DirecTV SD, Wingard portable satelitte

The time has come for us to consider a carryout satellite instead of the current dish, tripod setup we've used for years

We don't have HDTV and no desire to get it

Our receiver is a model D12-100 (other than serial numbers that all I can find)

I also like that it works with Dish as well so if we opt to change providers we are still good to go

PPL has the G2 ( not the G2+ )on sale until 4/29 for $536 with free shipping

So

1. The video shows it powered by a 12v plug. I'm not clear if it needs to be powered all the time or just for set up?? Our MH doesn't have a 12v outside plug which means having one installed.

Or can we use an adapter plugged in to a 110 receptical??

Also wondering how long thgast adapter cord actually is

2. If we added a receiver to our bedroom TV Will they both work at same time on different channels?

What else do I need to know??

Ron & I have always been the KISS principle with the TV so please keep the terms explanatory

Thank every one

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Our receiver is a model D12-100 (other than serial numbers that all I can find)

I also like that it works with Dish as well so if we opt to change providers we are still good to go

Are you sure about that?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The D12 is a DirecTV receiver. There's no such thing as a receiver that works on both DirecTV and Dish.

As for needing power for the G2, I believe that once it has acquired the 101 satellite you can remove the power without a problem. The power for the LNB's in the dish is supplied by the receiver through the coax. The 12 volt power is only used to "steer" the antenna.

If you don't have a convenient 12V jack on the outside of your rig you should be able to use a 110V source with a 12V power supply, but you need to ensure that it meets the power (wattage and current) requirements of the G2 which shouldn't be all that much.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Are you sure about that?

Its a direct replacement we received from DirecTV 4 years ago. The original came out of our home in 2006 and we had that one since 2003

I told y'all were are very low tech!!

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

The D12 is a DirecTV receiver. There's no such thing as a receiver that works on both DirecTV and Dish.

As for needing power for the G2, I believe that once it has acquired the 101 satellite you can remove the power without a problem. The power for the LNB's in the dish is supplied by the receiver through the coax. The 12 volt power is only used to "steer" the antenna.

If you don't have a convenient 12V jack on the outside of your rig you should be able to use a 110V source with a 12V power supply, but you need to ensure that it meets the power (wattage and current) requirements of the G2 which shouldn't be all that much.

I meant that the G2 is able to be used on either Dish or DirecTV. I do understand a change to dish is a different reciever.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

How about the G2+. Watched the video and it shows it being plugged in via 110. But man that plug coird looks pretty short. Doesn't look as if you cxasn get vthe uniut very far from the RV.

What am I missing herr

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

The standard G2 package includes a 50 ft 12vdc power cord and a 50 ft coax cable. (50 ft is the max distance allowed)

If you're buying it on sale, the vendor always has the option of not including those cables; so you should verify with the vendor.

The G2 does support 2 receivers, that means running 2 coax cables from the antenna directly to the receivers. (so you'd need to buy a 2nd 50 ft coax cable) I wouldn't expect your factory built-in coax wiring from the external Sat connector to support 2 receivers, without modifications. The other option is to add DirecTV SWM technology & equipment to split a single feed to multiple receivers.

Jim

Why not just a simply tripod/dish set up for DirectTV? Lots cheaper and only takes a few minutes to set up with the new apps for smartphones. We carry a 50' and 100' cables and it is pretty easy to set up/take down. 5 mins max, another 3-4 minutes if we have moved 300 miles or more north to zero in on the satelittle.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The standard G2 package includes a 50 ft 12vdc power cord and a 50 ft coax cable. (50 ft is the max distance allowed)

If you're buying it on sale, the vendor always has the option of not including those cables; so you should verify with the vendor.

The G2 does support 2 receivers, that means running 2 coax cables from the antenna directly to the receivers. (so you'd need to buy a 2nd 50 ft coax cable) I wouldn't expect your factory built-in coax wiring from the external Sat connector to support 2 receivers, without modifications. The other option is to add DirecTV SWM technology & equipment to split a single feed to multiple receivers.

When I spoke to Wineguard, they told me I could go 100 feet of coaxial cable, provided it was the low-loss double shielded.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Why not just a simply tripod/dish set up for DirectTV? Lots cheaper and only takes a few minutes to set up with the new apps for smartphones. We carry a 50' and 100' cables and it is pretty easy to set up/take down. 5 mins max, another 3-4 minutes if we have moved 300 miles or more north to zero in on the satelittle.

Barb

Barb, that is what we have been using for 9+ years with no problem. However because of Ron's current health issues he more often than not has trouble getting it all set up and pointed. A carry out that will auto find the signal with very little setup will be easier for us both. Also a carryout will fit our budget better than having a roof top installed and because our volunteer commitments sometimes have us parked under trees etc we can be assured of getting a signal

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Howdy!

I've been using the G2 for a couple of years since it first came out and it works great. I use a power inverter to plug it into 110. Once it is powered up I store away the power cord. I believe I would op for the new G2 + to do away with the power cord. You might want to consider the King Quest satellite for Directv. It only requires coax cable no power cord to connect. You can also get it from PPL for $435.16.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefnon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy!

I've been using the G2 for a couple of years since it first came out and it works great. I use a power inverter to plug it into 110. Once it is powered up I store away the power cord. I believe I would op for the new G2 + to do away with the power cord. You might want to consider the King Quest satellite for Directv. It only requires coax cable no power cord to connect. You can also get it from PPL for $435.16.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefnon

Hey Gary. I watched the video for the G2+. It also requires the use of a power cord but it is 110 not 12v. It also has a power inserter that allows you to change from Dtv to dish with the flip of a switch.

Are you telling me that once the G2 or G2+ has locked onto the satellite for DirecTV I can unplug the power??

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Hey Gary. I watched the video for the G2+. It also requires the use of a power cord but it is 110 not 12v. It also has a power inserter that allows you to change from Dtv to dish with the flip of a switch.

Are you telling me that once the G2 or G2+ has locked onto the satellite for DirecTV I can unplug the power??

Howdy!

Yes, we have the G2 once I set it up and it locks onto a setillite I unplug the power cable and store it away. I looked at the G2 + and it appears the power is inline with the one coax cable going from the receiver to the satellite which negates the need for second power supply. Did you look at the King Quest for Directv on the PPL website. It's also automatic and states it requires one one cable, same design as the G2 +. I believe it's a Little larger in size than the G2 but cost less.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Thanks Gary. That clears up my questions. Will look at King Quest. If it can access both Dtv and Dish we may consider it. Liked that feature about G2 so if we ever switched providers we wouldn't need to change the equipment out

Thanks to all who responded.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Archived