Transponders = What DirecTV channels?

I have DirecTV and have SWM, Whole House, HD. For years we have simply taken our two receivers from our S/Bs and placed them in our RV. We have DNS as well as Locals. We are fortunate to have been Grand Fathered in and thus have both East and West DNS feeds. We are on the road approximately 6 months per year.

On our most recent site we set up our portable antenna and the signal strength meters showed we were receiving 95% on all five of our tuners. This is on the Satellite 101. Sat 110 shows NO tuners acquired. Sat 119 shows 87 to 88% on all five tuners. Sat 99(ca) shows olny 50 to 51% on all tuners. On 99 (cb) we're getting 69 to 70% on the tuners. Sat 99(s) shows no sigs acquired on any tuner. Same with Sat 103(s) -- nothing. Sat 103(ca) is showing 62 to 63% on all five tuners. While Sat 103(cb) is receiving sigs of 55 to 57%.

So my questions are..... Is there a site somewhere that lists what Sat/Transponder supplies what DTV channel? I suspect we are just a few degrees off a good sat signal. When the wind starts blowing we start getting the pixalation problem. Sometimes it is so bad we completely lose the signal. I would like to tune the antenna so as to get all (or at least most of) the channels. Any thoughts on how to best go about doing this? Obviously I know we should tune for the highest strength signal possible but wonder which Sat to try to optimize? Appreciate any suggestions. Besides getting an automated system installed! <LOL> Thanks, Dennis.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I've used the LyngSat site for a long time. They do a good job keeping it up to date. http://www.lyngsat.com/hd/america.html

Also make sure your tripod is level before you set your elevation and tilt. If not, you're always guessing what's right. We've been on a 3 month trip moving every week or 2 and level tripod and using the dish settings from the receiver with the local zip code is key.

You mentioned loosing channels when the wind blows. I'd expect a less than stable tripod. I use a 7 gallon camping jug filled with water and a couple bungee cords. This keeps everything in place even in those Florida afternoon gulley washers. Here's a picture of my set up. https://flic.kr/p/wFQ7E8

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Jerry,

Thanks. Appreciate the link. Still trying to figure out how to read it.. <G> I do have the dish level. And it is very secure. We, too, use the bucket of rocks or water to help stabilize the dish. We like to use the Longitude and Latitude numbers to help narrow the sighting process. We use our Garmin GPS for that. We apparently had a loose connection at the antenna. Tightened all the connections and now no more problem. Really appreciate your input. Dennis

On Edit: I've discovered another problem. And I'm sure it is causing some of our problems! The mast that the Sat Antenna is mounted on is made of some sort of plastic type material. This means it flexes a lot when the wind picks up....... We're having winds in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 mph and the dish is exposed directly to the oncoming wind! Yet another thing to fix. When we get home I'll find some much more rigid material for the mast. It never ends! <LOL> Dennis

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

• 4 weeks later...

The mast that the Sat Antenna is mounted on is made of some sort of plastic type material. This means it flexes a lot when the wind picks up....... We're having winds in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 mph and the dish is exposed directly to the oncoming wind!

I don't know what dish you're using.. I have the Slimline, and it has a very strong aluminum mast. I use a very sturdy tripod from tv4rvs.com. And I get 99,101, and 103.. that's it. I shoot the 101 for anything over 90% and the others are almost always weaker, but fine.

I also have the TV4RV tripod and love it. It's very sturdy and comes with excellent aiming tools and procedures. We have a Slimline dish for our SWM system and two receivers, one DVR and the other just regular HD that talks to the DVR. I always scan the dish from left (east) to right (west) to hit 101. I then fine tune the elevation a bit and adjust the skew and recheck the signal strength.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

The ultimate references for everything DirecTV wise can be found on DBSTalk. This thread had a spreadsheet updated at least weekly that lists every local channel, national channel, etc as well as the satellite, transponder, etc it comes from.

This is also a great reference for determining what spot beam locals you can pick up in the area you are travelling to.

Why, do you say you have Direct yet you are locating on Dish Satellites?

Susan and Dale,

I am locating on these satellites because that is what shows up on my TV screen showing me which bird I'm on! I am definitely DTV and not Dish! And I believe that both companies may use some of the same sats if that is what is confusing you.

Hum, when I had DTV and Swm, they only used Sat's 99, 101, & 103.

SD = 101

HD = 99 and 103.

read this, http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/what-satellites-does-directv-use.263382/

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

Archived