Washing truck and rv

genecolleen

We're in Colorado I see that you can wash the under carriage of your car to remove the salt. Is there a place to have this done to my HDT and fifth wheel? Florida boy never had to think about these things! Colorado Springs is beautiful.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

In April of 2013, then again in April of 2014, we came through the Eisenhower Tunnel(Loveland Pass) during a "chain up" storm. I'm not sure what they put on the road, but I got to tell ya, it sure is hard on things. What I have found that works fairly good, is a lawn sprinkler, attached to a 2X4. I have a whirly bird type that puts out a strong spray, and just lay the hose out at one end of the truck and/or camper, let in run for a few minutes in one spot, then pull the hose about 4', and repeat until done. It does a good job on that junk, and also on the Florida beach sand, and salt. Just sayn'.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I'm not sure what they put on the road, but I got to tell ya, it sure is hard on things.

It's called calcium chloride, Dick, and it's nasty stuff. Some states, particularly in the northeast, are now using it to "wet" their rock salt, both to increase the effectiveness (CaCl will melt ice and snow at lower temperatures than does rock salt) and to help it stay where it's laid, rather than scattering off of the lane of travel. Other states just apply the CaCl alone directly to the road surface. The downside of it is that it's far more corrosive than is rock salt alone, and its residue is much more difficult to remove.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Thanks for the replies, going to get a sprinkler! Ron, returned to factory for a few fixes on fiver, decided to visit brother in Colorado and winter in Utah, Arizona, and Nevada.

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

Do not even get me started on the chemical cocktail mixes being used on the roads. They spray the stuff on the highway sometimes 48 hours before any forecast precip, and frequently it doesn't happen, so you get the corrosive action on the vehicle, and there was never any reason to put in on the road in the first place.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

It's called calcium chloride, Dick, and it's nasty stuff. Some states, particularly in the northeast, are now using it to "wet" their rock salt, both to increase the effectiveness (CaCl will melt ice and snow at lower temperatures than does rock salt) and to help it stay where it's laid, rather than scattering off of the lane of travel. Other states just apply the CaCl alone directly to the road surface. The downside of it is that it's far more corrosive than is rock salt alone, and its residue is much more difficult to remove.

I know in Dallas they started using CaCl on bridges before it ices. Probably more cities using it because it's cost is less than salt and more effective. But also more corrosive as stated.

Glad to be in Florida where ice is not in the forecast.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Archived