VNL670 Hauler Build

QLStar

I am making progress on the Volvo build. I am attaching a link to pictures of the build. I have started on the bed now and am getting ready to build my boxes. Any suggestions on design or construction would be greatly appreciated. I ordered my Jackalopee today and will be ordering the Hayes brake controller next week. Still lots to do but it is progressing nicely due a lot to the information from people on this forum.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115122038290607782404/VNL670RVHaulerBuild?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIq-qIa1nPvvbQ&feat=directlink

Hope this link works. If not please let me know.

Thanks Quentin

2007 Volvo VNL 670, Cummins ISX 450. Auto, APU. "PoTater"

2013 Landmark San Antonio, 41'

idahopotater@gmail.com

Nice job so far. Looks good.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Looks great.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

QLStar, What you've done so far looks real good. ! I think it's cool that you're building it right in the middle of the sub division. You must have great neighbors. I can give you the name and number of our build team if you want. We are extremely satisfied with ours. Pm me or use dngeitgey@gmail.com They thought of things I never would have.

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

QLStar, What you've done so far looks real good. ! I think it's cool that you're building it right in the middle of the sub division. You must have great neighbors. I can give you the name and number of our build team if you want. We are extremely satisfied with ours. Pm me or use dngeitgey@gmail.com They thought of things I never would have.

All is well except for one new neighbor from out of state. We don't have an HOA in my subdivision which I am sure helps but he is the only one complaining and I have been stopping work between 4 and 5 PM since it is winter and the light goes away before 6. The noise ordinance for here is quiet between 11pm and 7am. I try not to make anyone unhappy but I think he is just the type that doesn't like noise. There is another guy here in the sub just a few houses away from me and he has complained to him as well since he works on cars and does metal working in his driveway too. I guess there is always someone who is not happy but just think of it this way. As soon as I am done we will be selling the house and hitting the road since I am already retired. The plan is to be gone by May or June. I sent you an e-mail about your build team. Thanks for your input.

idahopotater@gmail.com

Thanks for sharing. I am still "brainstorming" my bed design. You gave me a lot of great ideas.

As far as the ideas I have to give credit to the members of this forum. I have reviewed all of the links I could find here and found several bed builds that gave me ideas. I have used ideas from each build I have reviewed to come up with my plan. Just hope it works out like I want it to.

idahopotater@gmail.com

I had a neighbor complain about my dogs barking at their dogs barking. The neighbors wife comes over and just started complaining and I pretty much ignored her. She says, "Well, I guess my husband (Reservation Cop) will have to handle it his way then!" My reply to her was, "Well Chief Squawking Squaw should've been talking to me instead of you anyway!"

The next day animal control shows up and we have a nice chat and I file a counter complaint on their dogs because mine were licensed and theirs werent.

Round 1

Me 2 CSS 0

I inform the nice office that we are zoned Residential Agricultural I will be buying a bunch of roosters in the morning to deal with the noise issue and if I hear of anymore complaints from Chief Squawking Squaw I will be building a Mare Motel to house the 4 donkeys I may buy as close as I can to their master bedroom!

Final Score

Me 9 CSS 0

To break down my score of 9!

CSS got 2 fines for unlicensed dogs and he got to wake up to 7 ROOSTERS every day!

CSS 0

I never heard a peep out of him or his wife again!

I had a neighbor complain about my dogs barking at their dogs barking. The neighbors wife comes over and just started complaining and I pretty much ignored her. She says, "Well, I guess my husband (Reservation Cop) will have to handle it his way then!" My reply to her was, "Well Chief Squawking Squaw should've been talking to me instead of you anyway!"

The next day animal control shows up and we have a nice chat and I file a counter complaint on their dogs because mine were licensed and theirs werent.

Round 1

Me 2 CSS 0

I inform the nice office that we are zoned Residential Agricultural I will be buying a bunch of roosters in the morning to deal with the noise issue and if I hear of anymore complaints from Chief Squawking Squaw I will be building a Mare Motel to house the 4 donkeys I may buy as close as I can to their master bedroom!

Final Score

Me 9 CSS 0

To break down my score of 9!

CSS got 2 fines for unlicensed dogs and he got to wake up to 7 ROOSTERS every day!

CSS 0

I never heard a peep out of him or his wife again!

Now that's what I call funny. :D:lol:

idahopotater@gmail.com

I had a neighbor complain about my dogs barking at their dogs barking. The neighbors wife comes over and just started complaining and I pretty much ignored her.

Rather than talk to her like a decent neighbor, your first choice was to ignore her?

I'm just curious, is your issue with your neighbors, police officers wives or is it just a racist thing against Native Americans?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

No, Option D. When I moved in I went over to introduce myself to them and was completely ignored. After speaking to all of the neighbors it was determined that they were Class A POS!!! It was the first time in living right next door to them for 3 years that she or her husband ever spoke a word to me. The Mexican that worked for the Reservation Police Department was Not Native American.

I am just curious, was your first reaction to think I was unneighborly, disliked Police Officers Wives or think I was a Racist? By the way, English is my second language Cinco No Sabe Nada!

Ok so back to the post now. Since I am not hauling anything on the bed will 1/8 plate be enough. It seems to me that 3/16 would be overkill unless you were hauling a smart or something heavy on the bed. Lots of flat bed trucks are 1/8 and hold up fine. Utility beds are even lighter material. Want to do it right but don't want to spend more than is necessary. Considering the thickness of a pickup bed, 1/8 is much thicker than that bed is. I have 16" on center stringers running the full length of the bed. What do you think?

idahopotater@gmail.com

While utility beds are usually thinner material, they are also corrugated for additional strength. More weight over the drive wheels is not a bad thing, and the addition strength might be useful in the future. What is the price difference between 1/8" and 3/16". I would think very little.

All my top and sides are 3/16", diamond pattern on top, smooth on sides. Bed is about 15' long.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick has my answer - go to the heavier. Your needs may change, resale may be affected, and the weight is not a bad thing. Also make sure you can accommodate the width of a smart on deck. JMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If you use thinner material, you need to make the tubing lattice to support it (properly) more dense, therefore more tubing material, therefore you gain nothing weight wise.

I bought a puller years ago,

011a.jpg

and looked at the hitch mount area more carefully wandering why the hitch rails looked like bananas. Took the hitch off and found that the idiots put 1/8 inch sheet under the hitch to span the rails. Junked it and replaced it with 3/8", had to un-banana the hitch mounts to re-mount the hitch. Cutting corners on these things is not good.

Archived