Best Direct TV Antenna

GoldRush

What is the best bang for the buck for an auto tracking Direct TV Antenna while you're on the move?

As Biker said, if you want an in-motion dish, that will limit you to a roof-mounted dome which won't allow you to receive DirecTV's HD programming. Others may feel differently, but if I were going to purchase an in-motion dome, I'd stick with something from Winegard.

Or, if money is no object, how about this dome which can be purchased for a mere $3,746 :o :

http://www.satphonestore.com/intellian-i-4-dla-marine-tv-antenna-b2401l.html?___store=default&___store=default

The description says, "This offers boaters High Definition satellite TV broadcasts from leading satellite TV service providers..."

Does that mean it can receive DirecTV's HD programming? It would be the first I've heard of any dome being capable of doing so and I'd want to confirm it with the company before shelling out that kind of money!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I'll agree with Rick - the Travler is flawless for HD DTV. But it is open air and not in-motion. I don't know of an in-motion HD solution.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

As Biker said, if you want an in-motion dish, that will limit you to a roof-mounted dome which won't allow you to receive DirecTV's HD programming. Others may feel differently, but if I were going to purchase an in-motion dome, I'd stick with something from Winegard.

Or, if money is no object, how about this dome which can be purchased for a mere $3,746 :o :

http://www.satphonestore.com/intellian-i-4-dla-marine-tv-antenna-b2401l.html?___store=default&___store=default

The description says, "This offers boaters High Definition satellite TV broadcasts from leading satellite TV service providers..."

Does that mean it can receive DirecTV's HD programming? It would be the first I've heard of any dome being capable of doing so and I'd want to confirm it with the company before shelling out that kind of money!

This does seem very interesting since if you combine the price of the Trav'ler and a dome it isn't that far off if it provides HD in motion.

I have been running the Winegard in motion for 11 years without a problem. Sometimes when going through long tunnels it can get lost but does recover in a few minutes.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

DirecTV uses Ka band for their HD programming, but Ku for their SD stuff. If you want in-motion HD, DISH is the place to go. The majority of the HD programming is on 129, with just a little bit on 119 and 110. There are other satellites that may be better depending on location, but I'm usually able to get those without much trouble.

What I have (and ShowHauler still installs) is a TracStar dome (here's a spec sheet)--it's unique in being (as far as I know) the only dome that doesn't use a cable between the moving parts internal to the dome. That means no unwinding (probably not a big deal on open highway, but might be if you like driving in circles or find a winding road).

Mine is now going on 11 years old also--I've dealt with their tech support on a couple of occasions, and was pleasantly surprised with their service. The first time was for a software update to support Dish's 129 location (which wasn't in orbit when my dome was made), the other when I needed to replace a cable. I can also say their inside control box is pretty tough--it usually undergoes an 8-foot hard surface drop test when I hit the road without putting it away (usually once every time out).

Be aware that the dish itself is considerably smaller than a stationary dish or one of the Trav'lers, so it's going to be more susceptible to obstructions/weather. I still carry a dish and tripod for when I'm going to be somewhere for a while (all 3 satellites at once, which keeps the DVR happy).

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived