HDT's and campground restrictions and hauling a Dresser Motorcycle that is

BigBlueXC

Unfortunately I (a Harley Rider for over 55 years) have seen many irresponsible riders, not just Harley's that are a pain in the ass in campgrounds.....so can fully understand their issues...we have ruined it for ourselves.

Only complaint I have had is that when checking into a campground when I had my HDT, the Harley was always on the back, and I clarified that the HDT was part of the camping unit, therefore the motorcycle was not an extra vehicle..

Never a problem getting in, but way too many times a hassle when coming back from a ride and getting into the campground. They then would demand another sticker. I always refused, and said send the manager up to my site and drove off.

Never had to pay....but still a pain..

As I started riding Harley's in 1960, I have seen a lot over the years...

Unfortunately the newer crowd, who we refer to as RUB's (Rich Urban Bikers) are ruining it for everyone... the old real bikers don't go thru town, or campgrounds revving up their pipes screaming "Look at Me...Look at Me"..

I am surprised that the authorities have not clamped down a lot more on the noise business...

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Wow Thanks for all the comments and pics of your rigs. Some good ideas on bed design. We just got back for a RV show and we were thinking toy hauler before going. After seeing some of the double living room slides got us both thinking of other ways to haul the bike. Still planing and dreaming.

Thanks to everyone, both questions answered.

Love to see more pics of everyone's rigs

We modified our truck to carry two 800 pound motorcycles sideways. Sorry don't have any pictures to put on here, but you can PM me with your email address and I can send you some of our truck. We used the TKloader system over a ramp. We both had Harley Ultra Electra Glides before full-time RVing. They won't fit. Knew this when we were looking at HDTs. Were thinking motorhome and enclosed trailer first, but really wasn't able to find the a motorhome we REALLY liked. We looked at toyhaulers but wasn't able to find any we liked, except the Alfa toyhauler, but the salesman won't let us ride our motorcycles up into the "shed" to be sure they fit. Decided on a HDT to carry the motorcycles. Could get any type 5th wheel trailer then. Was less money too. So had to downsize to cruiser type motorcycles with windshields and saddlebags. A few years later Harley came out with a kit one could remove the trunk. That would have worked for us with the Ultras. We did however miss having a car. The truck never has been the greatest daily driver. We ended up buying a car, selling the motorcycles, since we didn't ride them much after getting the car and sold the TKloaders. Now my wife has a BIG shed for all her junk.

Only had one campground south of Arlington, TX. that didn't want our truck on his site because it would mess it up. Told him the truck only weighed 19,000 pounds, was less then most motorhomes. Didn't matter. Never had a campground say, no motorcycles allowed. Never had a campground owner/employee say I couldn't change the engine oil/filter on one of the motorcycles.

Have run into a lot of campgrounds even when JoAnn (wife) calls for a reservation and TELLS the person on the phone what we have. Then when coming in still get the, "You didn't say it was a semi truck." "I didn't think it would be that big." "We don't have a site big enough or that." Can see the steam coming out of JoAnn's ears. :angry:

First of all, you will find there is no comparison of a MDT/HDT. Like many of folks here, we started "many" years ago with only a bedroll on the ground, then +,+,+. I thought after 35 years of "that" when I got the MDT in 1999, I was @#$@ in tall cotton. Big mistake! In 2010, I got the HDT, and found the possibilities unlimited, more power, quieter, more comfortable ride, etc. I'm sure you will find the same, so welcome to this forum, where there is so much knowledge, and willingness to help others. I have never been one to ask for help, and didn't when I first started my build, and that proved to be a mistake also. Now when I have my morning coffee, or have a question, or problem this is the first place I come. As far as parking, just use your head, I don't all the time, but it is always an adventure.

Unfortunately I (a Harley Rider for over 55 years) have seen many irresponsible riders, not just Harley's that are a pain in the ass in campgrounds.....so can fully understand their issues...we have ruined it for ourselves.

Only complaint I have had is that when checking into a campground when I had my HDT, the Harley was always on the back, and I clarified that the HDT was part of the camping unit, therefore the motorcycle was not an extra vehicle..

Never a problem getting in, but way too many times a hassle when coming back from a ride and getting into the campground. They then would demand another sticker. I always refused, and said send the manager up to my site and drove off.

Never had to pay....but still a pain..

As I started riding Harley's in 1960, I have seen a lot over the years...

Unfortunately the newer crowd, who we refer to as RUB's (Rich Urban Bikers) are ruining it for everyone... the old real bikers don't go thru town, or campgrounds revving up their pipes screaming "Look at Me...Look at Me"..

I am surprised that the authorities have not clamped down a lot more on the noise business...

Cheers,

Bob

Bob, I too, started in the 60s, but could never afford a Harley, and I think the reason for no clamp down is many of the "authorities" are RUBs. I lost my license many times because of defective mufflers when I was a teenager. Now I'm always puzzled when I have to listen to these bikes, then see a "No engine brake" sign. When I see a Bikers welcome sign, I head the other way. Too bad.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Some CG's have a boat-load of gaul.

I know of one that won't even let you park your HDT on your site, regardless if it fits well inside it .

You have to park it in the storage lot, because it seems to offend the other guests.

I'm no longer a member of that particular organisation!

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Archived