HDT's and campground restrictions and hauling a Dresser Motorcycle that is

BigBlueXC

Hoping to start a fulltime adventure in the next few years.

A lot of good info on here. I was first thinking a F450 or 550 would be enough truck but after all I have read, now I am leaning to a HDT. I drive a MDT everyday and noise and lack of power are issue's in all 4 I have driven to date.

Do most campgrounds private/state/federal allow these big rigs?

We are avid motorcyclist and will either be buying a toy hauler or having the bike on the back of the tow truck. Currant bike is just at 9ft so I don't think most states would allow across the back of Toter or camper. Any pics or info on this greatly appreciated.

We have a ~40' toy hauler pulled by a Volvo. Truck deck is about 13' boc (back of cab) to the hitch. We have been very fortunate to have gotten into nearly all the places we wanted to go, but that said, we've passed on a few campgrounds because we thought they were a bit tight for maneuvering our rig.. Never denied access.

We, too, are motorcyclists. We've gotten lots of positive comments as we unload the bikes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

There is rarely an issue with an HDT in campgrounds. I would like to say there is NO issue, but there are a "few" campgrounds that will not allow you in. In 13 years fulltiming with an HDT we have never been denied - the one time I was almost denied I convinced the owner that we were no heavier than the DP just in front of me at checkin, and that I would not screw up his roads. So there is very little issue going into campgrounds, but there "could be"....rarely.

As to the 9' dresser.....You will not be able to crossload that on an HDT without attracting some significant additional attention. I DO KNOW of someone that had a 4-seat Rzr side loaded on a DP rear swivel trailer with the car behind it that was stopped. But it REALLY stood out. You will have to decide for yourself on that one. But I would make provisions to put it into a toyhauler, probably.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Many do as you are desiring, we have been from the north most point of the Upper in lake Superior to Ocean Beach San Diego. Go for it.

Bike%2520on%2520back%2520Indiana.jpg

BikeRamp.jpg

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Have never had an issue, but like Jack said it can happen. Once or twice a park owner has expressed concern over weight and asked me to stay off the concrete pads. We mostly do RV Parks, but have been in a couple state parks where roads were tight. In some older, smaller parks I have been able to put the fiver into pretty tight spaces. Basically not an issue, but when we call ahead I always point out that we are "a 37' fiver with a heavy duty truck and 65 feet long."

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Is the bike 9' with the front wheel straight? You could have the bike sit at an angle behind the cab to get you to legal width.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Blue:

Much more of a concern than wheeling your motor-house around the country, which is generally not a problem

as you know from driving the harder to handle straight trucks around, is safely loading and unloading your XC.

If you plan on putting that beast up on a deck ~ 50" above the concrete, you sure as heck aren't going to ride it up there.

My brother has a 2014 Triumph 2300 and it is almost as heavy as a car. As I looked at options I found they all used winches.

Thing is, if pulling it up a ramp less than about 4' wide, you can't safely maintain the bikes balance. Hoisting and swinging were

my first choice, just pick the thing up and put it where you want it. Make sure the jib crane is rated and maybe want to hook it

down to something too. The biggest advantage there is that you can unload easily without unhooking the trailer so you or the DW,

darling wife, can go scope out potential great or not so great locations.

What is the bikes length with the steering turned max?

Several here on the forum carry on the back of the trailer too, but you got to have understanding what >1000# back there will affect..

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

A lot of good info on here. I was first thinking a F450 or 550 would be enough truck but after all I have read, now I am leaning to a HDT. I drive a MDT everyday and noise and lack of power are issue's in all 4 I have driven to date.

We are avid motorcyclist and will either be buying a toy hauler or having the bike on the back of the tow truck. Currant bike is just at 9ft so I don't think most states would allow across the back of Toter or camper. Any pics or info on this greatly appreciated.

First off let me welcome you to the forum. :)

There many people riding bikes on the forum. If you are going the toyhauler route the easiest way is just to drive them up into the TH'er and leave the deck of the HDT for more toys like a SmartCar or S/S. I have two motorbikes and a SC that we can haul with us and that way if the weather is real bad we can use the car. My DW doesn't like riding on the the bikes that much so lots of times I will go exploring the area we are in and she will take the car into the nearest town and go shopping.....which is one of her favorite pass times. HWHL.

Howdy BigBlueXC,

I am also a rabid motorcyclist, sometimes when I am going to nearby rally or one that I know I can't get my toy hauler into I put the bike, bikes on the rear deck and use the truck as a stand alone motor-home. There is enough room on the rear deck for me to carry a full size bike like my Road King Classic and still tow the toy hauler but not enough turning clearance to tow the trailer if I have one of the sidecar rigs on the rear deck. Heres my truck with a Sidecar rig and a Rokon on the deck and the ramps to load them.

IMG_1401-L.jpg

IMG_1405-L.jpg

The new toy hauler has an 18 foot garage in it so I can carry two sidecar rigs, or up to four full size bikes in the garage, I am thinking about getting a Smart Car, the garage is large enough to carry a Smart Car and a sidecar rig or the Smart Car and two full size bikes.

There is no comparison between an MDT and a HDT, most MDT's have the same or slightly larger engine as the better LDT's but that engine is pulling a lot more weight in the MDT. My advise having learned the hard and expensive way, go with the HDT you never regret it, guaranteed. :D

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I'm a biker and kart racer along with weekend camping, and I bought this project truck that suits all my needs in one.

It's 2' longer than my Prevost bus conversion and that's never been denied do I doubt I will have any issues. Plus my bike stays clean and out of the weather while traveling!

B37EA632-8EB9-40DE-8D56-223CA64581CF.jpg

CAEA9D38-C323-4485-810A-FD56B0F30B11.jpg

I cross load my Suzuki c90 with no problem. It is just barely wider than the fairing. I was stopped by DOT for not stopping at a scale {livestock} and he never mentioned the bike. I built a 12 foot folding ramp out of 2 6ft trf-folds with bent connecting sections that minimize the break over angle.Tthey store right behind the back wheels.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Here's my '02 Springer ready to roll. We use "bowed" ramps about 10' long and 4' wide. I just ride 'er up or down as needed

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I'm not into cycles, so don't claim to know anything about loading. Just wanted to comment that at least one CG we go to says bikes cannot be ridden within the CG, must be wheeled or left at front gate parking lot. ( 1/4 mile and uphill) Most leave them at the front lot, guard on duty, etc.

Myrtle Beach Travel Park, SC

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I'm not into cycles, so don'tim to know anything about loading. Just wanted to comment that at least one CG we go to says bikes cannot be ridden within the CG, must be wheeled or left at front gate parking lot. ( 1/4 mile and uphill) Most leave them at the front lot, guard on duty, etc.

Myrtle Beach Travel Park, SC

SIBERNUT;

How can they stop you from riding your street legal motocycle to and from your camp spot? What's next your (toad) car?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

It's THEIR property, and THEY can make the rules. Ever been anywhere that there is a bike week? Well, that's ground zero.

Just saying, people with cycles should ask or get surprised on arrival. I think it is on their website, too.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

There are a number of parks I have seen that restrict bikes inside the park. LIke Ron said. You have to leave them outside.

I've been a couple of places that I wish they had that rule.....bikers sitting at their sites revving up their Harleys to see who can make the "neatest" sounds. I like bikes just fine and rode for years. But I really don't want to hear them like that. So in some cases the MC owners bring the rules on themselves.

And the parks are private property - they can make any rules they want.....

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack:

I guess they can since it is their property. Would they make you pull it off the bed of the truck to leave it outside the park? Or out of the toyhauler garage?

Curious?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Jack:

I guess they can since it is their property. Would they make you pull it off the bed of the truck to leave it outside the park? Or out of the toyhauler garage?

Curious?

Curt

No, they just don't want you driving it in the park. It is a pain, and almost unbelievable....But more than a few parks have issues with motorcycles disturbing the "peace"....

www.jackdanmayer.com

Jack:

Curious?

Curt

There is at least one park I know of where they would. Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Archived