Toilet cleaning

woman_who_sees

A woman I met at the local food bank was telling me she just bought a used RV. She says it is in pretty good shape and looks good except for the plastic toilet which looks like it hasn't been cleaned in awhile and is badly stained. I told her I would ask on this forum if there was anything she could do to clean it up (she's tried cleanser and Scrubbing Bubbles) or if she should just buy another one?

Bill (DH), Jan (DW), Sunshine (DBird), and Gila and Tacobelle (DCats)

2004 Winnebago Sightseer

"Folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be" (after a cup of coffee)

I wouldn't invest any time or money in it either. I wouldn't want a plastic one even if it was new because they are so cheaply made. Tell her to invest a couple hundred (or less) in a new porcelain toilet like Dometic 310 or 320.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

If it is plastic it is probably stained as well as dirty.

It can always get bleached back but in my opinion once the plastic has been stained anything like bleaching it back or using something to abrade away the stains is just making a future problem.

I had a single wide for a while and it had weird plastic sinks. Sure they were functional but much use got them to where they wanted to hold the colors of stuff and the plastic does not take well to serious chemicals anyway. Stainless steel was already in kitchen, plastic sink in the master bath got replaced with porcelin or whatever and the guest bathroom plastic sink lasted the longest due to minimal use.

We have had excellent results using Stain Away Denture cleanser. Just fill the toilet with water enough to cover the stains. Add a generous amount of the denture cleaner and leave it for a couple of hours. I think you will be amazed at the results. Good luck.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Without more info I will speculate that it could be the the water with the minerals that was used. I have had that issue based on where I have camped long term. I have often solved the worst of it by soaking with cheap white vinegar. Depending on where it is stained you may be able to let some sit in the toilet. I had some serious build up on the clean water outlet that flushes into the bowl. I used some small pieces of paper like paper towels or pieces of cloth that I soaked in the vinegar and let it sit on the stained area. I would replenish the vinegar with and eye dropper. Of course you cannot let the paper or cloth be flushed. The eyedropper let me dribble on to specific spots. It was pretty bad so it took awhile but it did no damage and now it looks good. My toilet is one of the cheaper plasticThetfords that I put in over 10 years ago and have had no issues with. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by saying how trouble free it has been which is amazing since I have full timed all that time.

Archived