HELP! Toilet plugged!

If you have a continuing problem you may have a snag at one of the couplers in the pipe, usually from sloppy work cutting or gluing the pipe. A flexible camera can let you get a look at the area and sometimes you can deal with the problem without having to open up the plumbing, just use a string on anything you might possibly drop into the tank.

A second suggestion would be these folks: Instant Drain Cleaner. If you try them make sure to get a video for Youtube!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We use whatever and any toilet paper that says septic safe on the package. That included Angel Soft for the first couple of years. I remember there was discussion about the Angel Soft changing and not disinagrating as fast as it used to. 4 years full-time and we haven't had a problem with any of the various brands. I do buy 2-ply paper also. Just use plenty of water.

Pat DeJong

I notice that your rig is not brand new so I suspect that part of your problem was caused by previous users. Just and educated guess componded by your inexperience. About a year ago something similar occured to another new member of escapees with a used 5th wheel they purchased. I have not seen them posting here in nearly a year so I hope they resolved it and didn't give up on rving. Also I did not notice if anyone has advised you to add a couple of gallons of water to your black tank after dumping the tank and closing the valve. Also if you ever need to dump with out the perscribed 1/2 to 3/4 in the tank just add some water to bring the level up. I usually do it by pouring a measure amount of water out of a measured bucket 2 gal. at a time. That is how I add my 2 gal starter after dumping.

We have a Camco RV Dual Flush Pro gate valve . Originally , I installed it because the OEM in-tank flush system was clogged beyond serviceable condition . Anyway , the Dual Flush valve allows me to back fill the black tank , after a dump , with some grey water . No worries about starting with a dry black tank and the added benefit of soaps to help break solids down .

k2-_5991172d-67e8-4450-9528-bd3d1bd846a1

Goes around , comes around .

the Dual Flush valve allows me to back fill the black tank , after a dump , with some grey water

I also own one of these but let me add just a word of caution. From the problem that you described at the start of this thread, it would seem that the plug you had was in the line between the toilet and the tank. That device does nothing at all to prevent that line from becoming plugged unless you fill the tank to the point of backing up into the toilet. If you have a line from the toilet to the tank which has a bend in it, as it sounds like you do, then the issue is things not going all of the way into the tank and a much better tool for clearing that plumbing is this one from Valterra.

318YzQjS-WL._SY355_.jpg21IteUu9-2L._SY355_.jpg

If you happen to have a line that goes straight into the tank, then the one in the second picture would be best, and that is what I use in addition to the back flush device. The back-flush valve is good but I find that this one does a much better job of cleaning things out.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk,

That is exactly what my husband made....a combination of both those devices. It was plugged between the toilet and the tank, like you said. We're keeping that device he made handy but using PLENTY of water!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

When we started living in our 5th wheel we had a problem very similar to yours. We started using lots of water and the problem has never reappeared. I read about people dumping their tanks only once a week or every 10 days. We empty ours twice a week, and they are full!

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

When we started living in our 5th wheel we had a problem very similar to yours. We started using lots of water and the problem has never reappeared. I read about people dumping their tanks only once a week or every 10 days. We empty ours twice a week, and they are full!

WOW! You fill your black tank 2 times a week? :huh:

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

We use whatever and any toilet paper that says septic safe on the package. That included Angel Soft for the first couple of years. I remember there was discussion about the Angel Soft changing and not disinagrating as fast as it used to. 4 years full-time and we haven't had a problem with any of the various brands. I do buy 2-ply paper also. Just use plenty of water.

We used to use Angel Soft but I decided to check the clear fitting when dumping and although had not had a clog there were fairly large clumps of paper coming out the discharge like they had not broken down at all. Switched to Scott and no paper visible at all now.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I'm a real newby here but we had years of houseboat experience working at Lake Powell with boat rentals & the boat repair shop. RVs & houseboats have many of the same systems. Number 1 biggest problem always - toilets & holding tanks. Second - generator & electrical. First rule, never to be broken - Nothing goes in the toilet unless it has been eaten first. Disgusting, right? Well, I'd rather deal with a nice contained bag of used tissue than a clog. So that's our rule. A small trash can next to the toilet lined with 2 WalMart bags (finally a great use for them) and then tied up tight everyday. Does not take up much room stashed in the back of the truck.

Our goal is to be able to boondock for 2 weeks comfortably before we have to dump. I'll let you know how that works out.

Jenny

I think this one is finally under control!!!! :lol: rockin'

What?!?! No more potty talk? But I've learned more about #1 and #2 than I might ever need to know during my lifetime!! Lol!

. First rule, never to be broken - Nothing goes in the toilet unless it has been eaten first. Disgusting, right?

Not only that, but it is completely unnecessary to do that. We have owned an RV of some kind since 1972 and have never had even one problem with the waste tanks. Of course, we do flush with generous amounts of water and we don't put things other than human waste & TP into our black tank and we try to minimize the amount of cooking oils in the gray. We do use septic safe TP and we do flush the tank fairly regularly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

based on your descriptions your husband is the hero in this, we just sat back and offered advice.

Without a doubt, he was the hero! I love all the advice. So much we just didn't know. I guess we just didn't put enough thought into potty's!

WOW! You fill your black tank 2 times a week? :huh:

We do use a lot of water.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

If you are at an RV park with your black tank connected to the sewer dump tank, let me give you some advice"

!DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DUMP VALVE OPEN!

What happens is that all water goes merrily down the hose and into the sewer leaving a lot of the solids to form a neat little pyramid in your black tank which builds up until it blocks your toilet's outflow. Meanwhile, because the pyramid does not fill the entire tank, your tank gauges (which are unreliable at best) say your tank is not even close to being full.

Leave your tank valves closed until the tanks are nearly full and then empty them. That will keep water in the tanks and allow that water to flush out the solids.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

It plugged again this morning. We switched to Scott's 1 ply. When we did research, Angel Soft was supposed to be an acceptable one. Not for our set up.

Since our 5er was used, it could be partially blocked from the previous owner.

I called everyone in the book when we had our initial problem and no one would come out, so we're on our own to solve this one.

We never let the black tank fill. We never let it "burp" that is disgusting. We are at full hooks 99% of the time and we dump and flush every 2 or 3 days. That takes 1/2 hour out of our extremely busy day. Use lots of water, dump often.TP makes no difference as long as it is Septic safe.

We have never with 6 RV's , 30 years rv'ing ,9 years long timing had a black tank clog issue.

there is a Rid X for Rv's but my guess it would have to sit in the tank for a long time to clear a "Pile of poop"

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We have never had a clog either. Been doing this like 6 years, two different units, and never an issue.We even use Charmin ultra soft. We use any tissue we want. That is why I'm questioning the plumbing.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Hubby is thinking about buying a snake to 'router' out what plumbing we have. We've been using lots of water this time. When my husband put the hose down the toilet this time, it cleared pretty quickly and it was running all the way through. It seems to keep hanging up at the first 90.

Archived