HDT Members On The Road, Including Their Current Locations

Jim Gehlen

We are back in MN for a week or so for medical checks then headed south with stops planned in MO and KS to visit relatives. Then on to Quartzsite. The first snow is forecast for this weekend icon_eek.gif - I got to get outta here soon.

Bob

Country Coach Intrigue Motorhome
Harley Heritage Softail
Jeep TJ
Travel Supreme 34FKTSO 5th Wheel

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now in Tucson until the middle of December. We went to Colorado Springs after the rally once we ransomed the truck from Doonans at 4:00PM. It spent more than 2 weeks in the shop, not happy about it or the bill.

Mike, Nancy and the fuzzies.

Fulltiming since 6/04

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 5er - resistin'

2000 Volvo 660 motorhome toter - pullin'

2010 Honda Gold Wing piggyback - ridin'

2007 Saturn Ion - pushin'

Mike, are you not happy about the quality of work done, or just not happy about throwing the money into the truck? Just curious. Oh, and the working stiffs known as Troy and Lesa are spending the winter in lovely Altus, OK working till we're stiff icon_frown.gif

Troy, Lesa & Gizmo (furkid)

1999 Travel Supreme 36 FK TSO

Onan Marquis 5500 LP

1999 Volvo 610 "White Lightning" ISM 400 10 speed Autoshift

USAF Retired

"SIZE DOES MATTER"

Our Home Page

It looks like i'll be stuck here in Anchorage for most of the winter taking care of bizness.

I was contacted by a guy who wanted to buy my truck. I don't want to sell, but I migt be interested in leasing it to him on a net-net-net lease to haul produce from the Seattle area to here for the Fred Meyer stores. Probably a round trip weekly. It would help my cashflow, Maybe that's a good enough reason to keep the tandem axles and Holland hitch in place. We are discussing it now. It's gotta be worth the extra wear and tear and risk - or I'd rather park it for the winter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dieseldan

1999 40' Travel Supreme RLTSODB Two Bedroom 5th Wheel. TrailAir hitch

1998 Volvo VNL770, 460HP Cummins N14 Plus, 13 speed manual, 245" wheelbase, tandems, Holland hitch, Work Station, TV/DVD, Microwave, Fridge, 3,000 W Inverter, Sink, PTO hydraulic kit - Retired USAF Lt Col

"If it wasn't for people like that, people like us wouldn't look so good."

Troy and Lesa, just think of how everyone else is missing out on snow to shovel, long cold nights, leaves to pickup, icon_frown.gif LOL

Yes we are spending it here in Oakley, Kansas waiting on the snow, cold, leaves, etc. LOL

Larry & Billie

'98 Volvo 610, "HD Mule"

2010 Excel Wild Cargo SKM

A. J., the guard dog

Sadie, Mistress

http://community.webshots.com/user/stillworking100

I would think long and hard before using the truck commercially. First you would have to pay heavy road use tax($550), commercial tag(varies state by state, would cost over $1200) here, loose your motorhome status, file IFTA(international fuel tax agreement) reports and payments all just for starters. Most of these trucks will last us a lifetime the miles we put on them, however, if the truck goes back to hauling commercially the miles will pile up, and they will be much harder miles, leading to quicker and more severe breakdowns. Then there is the insurance issues, and if the lessee is not extremely careful he can drag the truk owner into all kinds of legal and troublesome situations. All that being said, if you are willing to deal with those issues trucking is profitable right now providing you get enough diesel surcharge. Sure can help pay the bills and be able to keep the truck in better shape. All in all it is a very personal decision based on how much risk you are comfortable with and how much money you think you can clear from the venture. I personally would sell the truck to a LLC to set up the business venture if I decided I wanted to do it. All just my 2 cents worth from dealing with trucks and truck drivers for years. Good luck no matter what you decide. Gene

2013 Entegra

45 ft. Anthem DLQ

2012 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4X4 EconoBoost

http://community.web...om/user/gben101

http://bensoneducation.com

Gene - Thanks for your input.

I would make the Lessee responsible for all costs related to the commercial operation - Licenses, DOT inspection, IFTA, minimum insurance coverage to my specs, fuel & fluids, weekly wash, routine preventive maintenance and major components, up-front security deposit, etc. Lease rate something like $3,000 per month plus 17 cents per mile (about $800 per round trip). Figure on a round trip weekly. It could pay for half of my truck.

Dieseldan

1998 Volvo VNL770, 460HP Cummins N14 Plus, 13 speed manual, 245" wheelbase, tandems, Holland hitch, Work Station, TV/DVD, Microwave, Fridge, 3,000 W Inverter, Sink, PTO hydraulic kit - Retired USAF Lt Col

WOW, Is that within the relm of reality? Can't they just go to Reider and rent a tractor for that kind of money? The fellow I bought my volvo from said he would have to rent a tractor to keep his contract going until he had a new one delivered, said it would cost him about $150. a day for only the days he needed it which was two trips a week. This is out of my knowledge base so just wondering.

David

Looking at new opportunities !

2008 Ultra Classic

http://community.web.../user/toterman2

David-

Remember - this is a lease for their convenience - not mine. My truck is currently titled and licensed as a motorhome. If he wants to use it as anything but a motorhome he'll have topay all associated costs, plus make it worth my effort to provide a truck so that he can make money while my truck wears out faster.

I'm basing this partially on Ryder's rates, blended with inputs from Penske and local truck dealers.

Penske wants a $5,000 deposit with a line of credit and a printed application. They charge $1,030 per week with their insurance plus 19 cent per mile. Without their insurance (they will require renter to provide proof of acceptable alternate insurance coverage) they want $610 per week and 19 cents per mile. Ryder provides maintenance. Renter provides fuel.

If they don't like my terms they can rent from Ryder or Penske, and I'd be just as happy that my truck was safe in storage for the winter with fewer miles on it - and no strangers driving it.

Gene - I agree with you about an LLC leasing the truck to them. It provides me a good shield of asset & liability protection.

Dieseldan

Troy,

Not happy with not being able to get an estimate on any of it. Not happy with a bill almost half again what I was expecting. Not happy with the length of time it took to get anything done. I know that not being an over the road trucker means I have more time but over 2 weeks for what I had done was way out of proportion. I also had to go back to the shop more than once to remind them what was supposed to happen.

The real kicker was the bill for over $600.00 just to remove the holland and mount the rv hitch on the truck. Whan I asked about having it done I was told it was real easy and only a couple hours. It took them over 3 days to get it done. On the plus side they DID adjust the pin box on the trailer to help compensate for the hitch height change.

I don't mind fixing the truck when it needs it but I do like getting at least a ball park estimate so I can decide ahead of time what I can afford on getting optional or non essential things taken care of.

Mike, Nancy and the fuzzies.

Fulltiming since 6/04

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 5er - resistin'

2000 Volvo 660 motorhome toter - pullin'

2010 Honda Gold Wing piggyback - ridin'

2007 Saturn Ion - pushin'

Guest The Alaskan Polar Bear

We've returned to Wichita because we missed Danny and the crew from Doonan's so much. We had to leave another $2300. with them so that should help salve the stress. Now we have new king pins, two new front tires and a front end alignment to show off. Not to mention new front brake pads and a tweaked rear axle bearing. We're headed to Casa Grande from here for our first winter experience. We will be at the Fiesta Grande RV Park in case any of you are cruising by.

Give us a holler if you do. We'd love to visit. We enjoyed all of your company at the HDT Rally. A great bunch of folks.

Dave & Sharon

Alaskan Polar Bear

Dave & Sharon,

You might consider going to the SKP MDT BOF rally in Feb. at Beaudry RV in Tuscon. It was a great rally last year, lots of good info and food. We only had 8 HDT's last year...maybe more this year. We will be there, as well as Bob T, and some others.

Check the MDT BOF website. (you know, most of us are really MDT's)....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

We jsut arrived at the Corps of Engineer campground in Ft. Worth, TX this afternoon. Will be there until Friday. Then it's back to Doonan's in Wichita to have the damage on the back of my Teton repaired. Then we head for AZ. Will be at Mountain View RV Park in Huachuca City for the month of December. Then Quartsite and Las Vegas in January. Then we will continue to roam around the southwest until the snow is gone and the weather warms up.

Smokey & Pam
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
15 Jeep Cherokee

Jim,

We are here now. Spotty internet - I'm piggybacked on a Directway that is pretty far away.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Hi Guys,

We are leaving the San Antonio area Thursday headed west on I - 10 to I - 8 and San Diego for Thanksgiving. Any one on our route, that wants to swap some lies, please sing out.

Dave F. We have noted your Casa Grande location and will try to contact you when we get near.

Keep makin' happy tracks,

Bob T

Bob/Sharon: After you go thru Wilcox, AZ, give us a call and you can pull off at Gas City at exit 302, park in the hugh parking lot at the Gas city station and I'll buy you a cup of coffee. We are 20 miles from Gas City and only takes a few minutes to get there.

Paint your wagon and come along

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

And if you hit it at the right time, Danielle and I will join you.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are currently in Mexico Beach, FL, Rustic Sands CG. Will be here until mid Jan then will see if we stay here or travel west from here. Stopped in Dallas area for a week to attend some of the races at the TMS on the way here.

All is well so far; hopping the price of fuel drops some before we decide where we are going from here.

Doug & Deaon Titus

Red 1998 Volvo 610 Motorhome "Dogden"

In memory of Sam the white boxer 8/29/2002 - 7/23/2007

1998 Teton Royal

1990 Gold Wing/Watsonian Sidecar