27 replies to this topic

#21 singwing12

singwing12

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 674 posts
  • SKP#:120390

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

nana25k, that's pretty much what we are wanting to do...we enjoy being set up more than we do traveling and that amount of time allows for a lot of exploring and by then we would be ready to move on.

#22 beyerjf

beyerjf

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 510 posts
  • SKP#:113873

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:04 AM

I have been an owner-operator in trucking for 40+ years. The last 15 leased to a "power only" company, which means we move someone elses semi trailers. About half the business is new trailers from manufacturer to dealer-end user, the more interesting is time sensitive show loads, rock and roll shows, golf tournements, generators to power TV vans at football games and other outdoor events. Just dropped one at Wrigley Field for the World Series. 

Living full time in a 35' toyhauler was a no brainer. 3 years ago I bought a Work and Play 34FK and move it with my commercial tractor, just like any customer trailer. I park in the logical spots, AL in the winter, IN in the summer. Get parked, fool around as much as I want, then go back to work for a couple of weeks, then goof off some more. W&P stays in the spot at the RV park, secure and on a monthly rate. Literally could park anywhere in the lower 47 or anywhere in Canada if I wanted.

We have at least 6 other drivers in our 200 truck fleet that do the same. After 4 million miles, staying put is a vacation for me. I do about half as many miles as I used to when I worked full time. 

Jeff Beyer Active trucker for Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Fulltime with Sunflower the cat.

#23 MT_Flyfisher

MT_Flyfisher

• Validated Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

I was employed by a major multinational corporation in an upper middle management job of some sort for many years. 

There was a time when I was in charge of the entire corporate world headquarters building.  After everyone had moved out and I was the only one left.

For an extended period of time, I didn't know who my boss was, or what my job was, if in fact I had one.  But I showed up each morning, got a cup of coffee and read the Wall Street Journal from front to back.  During all of that time, I continued to get paid.  

One day I went home and my wife said "Guess what happened today?"   

"I dunno", I replied.

She smiled, and exclaimed "You got a pay raise today."  She had seen the amount direct deposited into our bank.

No one from the company ever came to me, and told me about it.  When I got the raise was during a time when the corporate payroll system was being converted to new computer software, so I felt maybe my pay raise was due to an error in the conversion.  Later, the new system was audited by our external auditors, who informed me no problems were found during their review.  So I wiped the sweat from my brow and carried on doing more of the same.  Mostly nothing.  And I never said anything but good things about my company after that happened.  How could I not?

During the latter years of my employment there, I did have a small organization of people reporting to me.  But I had had enough and decided to officially retire.

They gave me a going away party at a swanky restaurant.  I got a retirement gift, and a card.

I opened the envelope and read the card out loud in front of the gathering.

The front of the card said "Why would a person want to leave a job being paid hundreds of dollars a week?"

Then I opened the card, and read the inside.  "For doing absolutely nothing."

Well, they had a point there.  But I retired anyway.  That was nearly 17 years ago. 

And I've been doing pretty much of the same ever since.

Edited by MT_Flyfisher, 29 November 2016 - 02:10 PM.

#24 singwing12

singwing12

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 674 posts
  • SKP#:120390

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

Hey, they were nice enough to train you for retirement!!!  :D  Now that's a great deal!!!

#25 BobbiOh

BobbiOh

• All Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

I own a small Corporate Travel Management Company (small to mid-size companies hire me to run and manage their travel programs), my husband and I co-own a media company called Married with Motorcycles and host a weekly radio show. I can literally work from anywhere as long as I have my computer and internet, although I do have to maintain my client's hours.

We can't go full time yet, since my retired mother lives with us at our house, but it does mean that we can take off for a month or so with the dogs and motorcycles. We have a Toy Hauler and we're about to try our first month away from home doing the California coast.

Married with Motorcycles is San Diego's only motorcycle lifestyle radio show!

#26 richfaa

richfaa

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 4,866 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Both wife and I are retired from the Federal Aviation Adm good  jobs  good pay, good retirement. Our plan was to travel, see the USA and stay out of cold weather. We never considered working again. We have worked at Disneyworld during our winter stay. I lasted 4 seasons 2 or 3 days a week  the wife still works there a couple of days a week. It is low pay and poor working conditions but it provides some discretionary funds for summer travel and gives one something to do. I enjoyed the people  and the park but not the organization.

We found that there are a lot of jobs out there for Rv'ers.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky
SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

#27 Vladimir

Vladimir

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,201 posts
  • SKP#:107155

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

I kept my "red card" qualifications when I retired. I do make a point of taking a fire assignment fairly early in the season to make sure that I keep my incident qualifications current. After three years without being on an incident your qualifications are taken away from you and as a retiree they are almost impossible to get back at that point. Fire seasons in the Wenatchee area generally start at the end of July and finish at the end of September most years.

This past year I did get an assignment in September, but had to turn down three assignments as we were in the Yukon and Alaska.

We also have a vacation home that we rent. The busy time of year for that is Thanksgiving through New Years. 

That pretty much means being around Wenatchee in August and September for fire season and then mid-November through mid-January for rental season.

So right now I am watching it snow and the temperatures in the teens!! I am looking for a weather window so I can drive to Arizona starting Thursday morning.

As others have said, the money is real helpful. It does put a crimp in the year when there are months when you have to be in Wenatchee. I am trying to get a schedule so that we travel more during the shoulder seasons, but with hunting and fishing times there are just not enough months in the year!!

Thank God, I am not working anymore!!

Vladimr Steblina
Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.
usbackroads.blogspot.com

#28 Chris n Dennis

Chris n Dennis

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 565 posts
  • SKP#:116603

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Contract programming. I used to do web design as well but programming side took off leaving little time for that. We also volunteer as camp hosts and visitor center interpreters. Money is always helpful but the hosting gig provides us with the much more  desired interaction with people.

Berkshire XL 40QL
Camphosting and touring