Stuck in New October CDL Limbo

Aggie79-82a

Well it is October and TXDOT has taken over the non commercial CDL driving test. Tried to get my license done in September. Passed written test and on the day of my driving test, my steps decided not to retract. Had to reschedule. As luck would have it, the new date is October 13th. I went to the TXDOT facility on US 59 North yesterday to locate it. Went inside to confirm this would be the testing location. Greeted by three employees that said this was the place and what they were doing to make the site ready for testing.

Problem: All three stated, or emphasized, I would need a CDL (non commercial or commercial) licensed driver to bring my unit and me to the site for the test.

If anyone is in Livingston with a CDL, I would certainly appreciate a driver for October 13th for my 10:15am appointment. I fully expect to pay you for this service to compensate you for your time. My time estimate is two hours or less. If you have a license and are available on the 13th, I would appreciate hearing from you if you are interested. My contact information is txbeachbum99@gmail.com or 713.805.9351.

Thanks,

Bob

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

All CDL's are commercial. You are either testing for a Class A or Class B license. You can get either a Class A CDL or a Class A Exempt, same with Class B.

Do you need someone to drive a motorhome or tow a travel trailer?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Please let us know how your test turns out. I am in same boat with a test date of Oct. 25th. Was planning on driving myself to test. Really need to know if they are going to stick to needing a CFL driver take me to test. Also would like to hear about what they really do during the test.

Thanks for the information

Bob and Jenise

Class of 2016 Full timers :)

2008 Newmar Essex 45' 500hp ism towing Honda CRV awd

Every day you wake up is a good day!!!!

I'm driving a 40ft motorhome. Going for the non-commercial CDL.

Again, as Chirakawa said, there is no such thing as a "non-commercial CDL".

The "C" in "CDL" stands for commercial. How can you have a non-commercial, commercial DL? You are testing for an exempt Class A (or B) "DRIVERS LICENSE". There is no "C" in front of "DL" for the type of "DL" you are trying to get.

Seeing as these changes are new I would be willing to be they will be paying close attention for a while, they haven't had time to start cutting corners yet. The "CDL" driving test has changed quite a bit. I am "told" that the Class A and B driving tests, whether commercial or exempt, will be the same. It will be interesting to see.

TX DPS (not TXDOT as previously posted) has changed the course and the scoring procedure. They have changed the driving skills test to being done partially on their property (where they have the room) rather than hoping for a clear space on public property so they could squeeze in a test or two. The literature DPS is putting out says the basic skills area will be marked with cones now, they have added another backing maneuver and increased the number of maneuvers performed during the actual road test. From the things I am hearing, I am glad I already have mine. I'm not sure I would want to take this test.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks for the correction. It is an exempt Class B. I am not looking forward to this adventure at all.

While you may not be looking forward to it, it will prove that you have a good idea as to how to actually drive your coach/truck and trailer. There are MANY states (such as Minnesota) that allow you to get behind the wheel of a 45' DP with absolutely NO experience or any idea as to how to pilot it safely. I am actually in favor of more strict licensing. My class D license (used to have a class A CDL) says on the back "Valid For Any Recreational Vehicle" and all you would need to do is take the test with a Smart car.........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I am now totally confused. If I drive a motor home that has a GVWR of 22K I don't need a special license. Is that correct? The special licenses only pertain to the magic 26K GVWR. We are not planning to become TX residents any time soon but one never knows.

26,001 lbs GCWR and above requires the exempt-CDL license. If you have a toad, it has to be less that 4,000 lbs to use a Class C license.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I am now totally confused. If I drive a motor home that has a GVWR of 22K I don't need a special license. Is that correct? The special licenses only pertain to the magic 26K GVWR. We are not planning to become TX residents any time soon but one never knows.

In TX, and several other states, a special license is required for drivers of RVs that exceed 26,000# if a motorhome (called a class B ) and also another (class A ) for those towing a trailer that exceeds 10,000# with a motorhome exceeding 26k. It really isn't all that complicated and is readily available to anyone from the TX - Dept. of Public Safety website or a host of other places. As others have mentioned, this is not a CDL or any form of one and it does not allow you to drive commercial vehicles, only privately owned ones.

EDIT

I corrected the error of typing.... Thanks to the forum edit police for pointing out my errors. Luckily I was let off with only a warning this time! :lol:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

In TX, and several other states, a special license is required for drivers of RVs that exceed 26,000# if a motorhome (called a class A) and also another (class B ) for those towing a trailer that exceeds 10,000# with a motorhome exceeding 26k. It really isn't all that complicated and is readily available to anyone from the TX - Dot website or a host of other places. As others have mentioned, this is not a CDL or any form of one and it does not allow you to drive commercial vehicles, only privately owned ones.

You have it backwards.

Did you read the link I posted? Here it is again https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

Class A is for towing a trailer in addition to the motorhome or tractor. Class B is for a motorhome. Class A is the more inclusive of the two.

As far as whether it is CDL related or not, the site clearly states that it is. The standards are CDL based, it's just that you can get a CDL exempt license by signing the exempt form when you go for your license. The exemption options are clearly listed in the link as are the standards for what constitutes Class A, Class B, and Class C.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

In TX, and several other states, a special license is required for drivers of RVs that exceed 26,000# if a motorhome (called a class A) and also another (class B ) for those towing a trailer that exceeds 10,000# with a motorhome exceeding 26k. It really isn't all that complicated and is readily available to anyone from the TX - Dot website or a host of other places. As others have mentioned, this is not a CDL or any form of one and it does not allow you to drive commercial vehicles, only privately owned ones.

I just noticed that the link you provided goes to the same webpage that I posted. Why did you label it as Dot website? The DOT has nothing to do with driver's license in Texas.

UPDATE - I made a second trip to the TXDOT location and then to the Driver's License office. The Driver's License group is in control of the process. Per the DL office this morning, "we are not enforcement" thus, will not be checking for a CDL licensed driver to bring you to testing. Second, "technically, you are driving without a license, but we are not enforcement".

I will not need an driver to take my Class B test. See reference below for the license type.
Thanks for all of the reply.

Aggie, thats great. Good luck on the test.

And Kirk, your post is sort of misleading. You say " a special license is required for drivers of RVs that exceed 26,000# if a motorhome (called a class A) and also another (class B ) for those towing a trailer that exceeds 10,000# with a motorhome exceeding 26k."

As chirakawa already mentioned, not only do you have it backwards but you also have mistakes. You said "towing a trailer that exceeds 10,000# with a motorhome exceeding 26k". That is not right. A Class A DL is required when the COMBINATION has a GVWR of 26,001lbs or greater, with the trailer having a GVWR in excess of 10,000lbs. The way your post reads it is actual weight, when the law says GVWR. The same is true for a Class B license. The vehicle doesn't need "to exceed 26,000lbs" as you posted, it needs a GVWR of 26,001lbs or more.....BIG difference.

My HDT only weighs 18,000lbs, but the GVWR is 52,000lbs. I need a CLASS B license just to drive the truck, based on GVWR. The truck doesn't "exceed 26,000lbs" as you mentioned, but it does have a GVWR of 26,001lbs or more, as the law states. If it were based on what weight my truck "exceeds" I would only need a Class C.

According to your post a small MH that weighs 25,000lbs needs a Class C drivers license and, also according to your post, it can pull a trailer with a car in it since the car and trailer do not "exceed 10,000lbs". But the MH may have a GVWR of 30,000lbs, which alone would require a Class B drivers license, and that trailer may have a GVWR of 15,000lbs. Since that combination has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more now it will require a CLass A license. There is a huge difference between actual weight, registered weight and GVWR.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have had TX CDL A for many years. Pretty wife has TX DL A. She can drive anything I can drive BUT cannot be PAID to do it.

CLASS of license required is based on physical (manufacturer designated, not necessarily actual) weights and configuration.

COMMERCIAL designation has many more requirements (such as DOT physical, no DUI, proof of residence/citizenship or green card, etc) which are currently somewhat state-mandated but which are in process of becoming federally standardized.

And then there is the subject of ENDORSEMENTS such as passenger, air brake, tanker, hazmat, motorcycle, double/triple, and on and on in an expanding litany of bureaucratic....

never mind!! Be safe.

06 Carri-Lite 386KIQ

11 GMC 3500 D/A

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -Crazy Horse, 1874

We have enough regulation already. But anyone driving an air braked vehicle should be able to pass the air brake endorsement or park it till you do. RV Dealers are "write the check, stab it & steer it".

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Aggie 79-82a

Thanks fir the update. I too will drive myself which saves a lot of hassle. Please let us know how the driving test goes.

Take care and best of luck

Bob and Jenise

Class of 2016 Full timers :)

2008 Newmar Essex 45' 500hp ism towing Honda CRV awd

Every day you wake up is a good day!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I passed with no worries. Apologize for not posting sooner. After my lunch time celebration for passing a Patron's Grill and a long nap, I immediately moved on to my satellite issue the next day.

Test is no be deal. If you can drive you RV without running over curbs when you turn, you will be fine. Here's the driving test in a nutshell for Livingston, TX.

Turn into the TXDOT parking lot and stop at the first tree. You will actually see a couple of pickups and Driver's License staff wearing orange/yellow vests. They will have you stop. Then hand them your "paperwork" (driver's license, insurance card, and RV registration). One of the staff check your rig to be sure you horn, turn signals, and brake lights work. No one asking how I got there since they saw me drive up. No CDL driver required to drive you there.

The road test starts in the yard behind the building. This is where you perform your backing test. You drive to the yard and make a circle to the right to get in the proper orientation for the backing test. The tester will provide you all of the position information just in time for you to line up with the selected lane of cones. Tester explains the test and what you can do (get out one to check your alignment; pull forward once with no penalty) during the test. When you backup the correct distance, set your parking brake and honk your horn. Tester will get back in the RV and you head out for the road test. In Livingston, you turn right and head South on Hwy 59. After passing Hwy 190, you exit and stay on the access road. You stay on the access road making a U under the overpass. Now you're headed North on the access road. Past Hwy 190 the tester will ask you to pull off to the side of the road simulating a stop on a highway. Then you re-enter the access road and turn right at the red light onto Washington Ave. Make a left at the donut shop. At the stop sign at Church St (Hwy 146) make a left. You will need to look under the branches of the trees and bushes to see if it is clear to turn. Proceed to the red light at Washington. Turn right and head to the barn. Pull into the TXDOT drive and await your results.

The Tester guides you through the road test and did not ask me to do anything that made me uncomfortable behind the wheel.

Good luck.

Archived