CDL seasonal and domicile

trostberg

Hmmmm, that's a great question...unfortunately I don't have a clue...I also thought about using my CDL for seasonal work but I thought the CDL would be good in any state. Very interested in seeing the answers.

I know there is at least one professional truck driver that has recently joined our forum so maybe he will know the answer to your question. BigRich, any ideas??

CDL is a National License. It is issued by a state and at the same time the other 50 states are notified that you have it so you can't have a second license. All CDL licenses are issues against the same requirements as established by the Federal Government.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have a CDL from Texas and can use it anywhere in the U.S. One thing to keep in mind is the medical certificate is required to be updated every 2 years. If you don't stay on top of your mail and miss the notifications ,BTDT, your CDL will be revoked when your medical cert expires, which means a trip to the DMV. Also CDL renewals have to be done in person, not by mail.

Greg

Yes the CDL is national and is on your State drivers license and the CDl is good in all States. However you can not have two State drivers license. Example I have a Ohio drivers license and on the top is says CDL license.

I had to have a Florida drivers license to drive a Bus at Disney the CDl transferred over to the Florida license. I could not keep my Ohio license and have a Florida license.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Interesting subject. I own a seasonal trucking company in AK and am an Alaska resident with a CDL. At one time I was looking at bringing a driver up from America. My insurance company didn't have a problem with an out of state CDL, but if you work a certain amount of time in a state you need to become a resident. Can't remember how long it is up here 30 days maybe 90???? Anyway, if they got stopped it could be a problem if they had been working here too long. That's why most companies require people to have a CDL from the state they are working in. There was a "big deal" made about it in Skagway a few years ago. Anyone working over a certain amount of time had to register their cars and get an Alaska drivers license.

We snowbird in AZ during the winter. I was thinking of picking up a part time job driving down there. I needed an AZ CDL to work there. If I got one I would loose my AK residency and my PFD. Wasn't worth it for me. From what I understand, when you get a job in AZ you need to become a resident and get a drivers license and register your vehicles there right away. Guess they need the revenue???

Remember there is no such thing as a out of State CDL. The CDL is Federal and good in all States. The issue is the State drivers license. You can not have two State drivers licenses and a CDL.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I did some research on the CDL for Alaska. Seems if you are a seasonal worker here in Alaska you can keep your Washington CDL, might want to ask the company why you have to get an Alaska CDL.

Alaska CDL Requirements for Out-of-State Residents For drivers temporarily in Alaska due to seasonal work You must have a valid CDL from your home state in order to drive a commercial motor vehicle. You do not need to apply for an Alaska Commercial Drivers License.

http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/akol/cdl/

My TX CDL A with passenger endorsement has been accepted in MT, PA, IA, NJ, NM and AZ for seasonal driving. Am currently in MA and was told it would be fine here also. Companies may prefer local license or perhaps their insurance carrier requires it. Much of my seasonal driving was interstate (although some was intrastate). Be sure to keep your DOT physical current! (One company insisted on a new physical even though mine was current and CDL was accepted. They paid, no problem.

06 Carri-Lite 386KIQ

11 GMC 3500 D/A

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -Crazy Horse, 1874

• 1 month later...

I confirmed with the employer in Alaska that I would have to give up the WA drivers license in my domicile when I do CDL training and work seasonally in Alaska. I could also train in Utah or Idaho but would then get my CDL and those states and work in Alaska. For Holland America working seasonally in Alaska it depend on the state you take your training in where you license is issued. They are looking into doing training near Seattle. If that happens then I have no need to change my WA drivers license and I would just add the CDL but they currently do not do training in WA.

I still don't know how that would impact my WA domicile when I have to change the state issued drivers license.

I used to work in Alaska seasonal. I got stopped by dot at the military base and was informed that if you work in Alaska you have 30 days to get an Alaska cdl. The best thing about all this is the fishing and hunting at a fraction of the cost. We still kept everything in S.D. I did this for 6 summers and never had a problem with the Alaska DL

1997 Beaver Patriot "Big Blue Van"

Archived