Verizon CDMA

D&J

We already have one LG smart phone on Verizon CDMA and are thinking of changing our Virizon phone to the same thing but I was wondering just how long Virizon will keep on the CDMA side of their towers up to date and active. We also have a Virizon MiFi that we plan on keeping.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Verizon has already started shutting down it's 3G/CDMA network... probably best to not invest in new equipment unless it's XLTE compatible.

Here's our article on it: Happy 4th Birthday LTE! (3G’s Days Are Numbered)

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

My wife and I both have Samsung Convoy 3G only phones. I wonder if Verizon will give us some sort of a deal on new phones when they drop 3G?

EDIT. I talked to Verizon customer service and they said the tower will still support 3G after conversion. I asked how long and said as long as they have 3G devices in service. I suspect that is not 100 % accurate though. I would think they will have to call it quits when the number of devices drops below some threshold.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not going to happen for a few more years. It'll probably stay in place for MVNO's for a while even after Verizon quits using it. There are still lot's of places where there is 3G and no 4G. CDMA is still the standard for voice. Verizon's target date for moving everyone to VOLTE is 2021.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-wireless-sunset-2g-and-3g-cdma-networks-2021/2012-10-10

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I'm thinking that by the time Verizon does away with it they will have moved away from 4G LTE and on to something else so the existing CDMA customers will move onto the LTE network. At this time we think it's more cost effective to go pay as you go and away from a contract phone. We can keep our number so we can always go back.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

EDIT. I talked to Verizon customer service and they said the tower will still support 3G after conversion. I asked how long and said as long as they have 3G devices in service. I suspect that is not 100 % accurate though. I would think they will have to call it quits when the number of devices drops below some threshold.

This situation is analogous to what happened when the analog to digital transition occurred. The carriers didn't give advance warning, they simply said that past a certain date analog would no longer be supported. Just as in that situation where digital phones had substantial benefits over analog ones, 4G/LTE is such an improvement over 3G that I find it hard to imagine why anyone is determined to hold onto 3G other than for nostalgia. The article that Technomadia provided shows that 3G bandwidth is being "stolen" to improve the LTE network. Holding onto 3G means that you will see steadily eroding service until Verizon decides to pull the plug. Why insist on going down with the ship?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

In our case we will still have our Virizon 4G LTE MiFi that our phones will be connected to unless we are away from the trailer and the 3G works good enough for the times we are away from it. There were times last winter in Florida the 3G was faster than the 4G because the towers were so overloaded.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

Our phones are dumb phones with no data service enabled. 4G is no benefit to us at this point.

I didn't want to switch to 4G when we had the Verizon USB modem because I was grandfathered in with unlimited data and we were using over 10 GB per month. 4G was going to be expensive for us.

Before I had to make that choice we settled down in a S&B and now have cable internet for $40 per month with unlimited data and 40 Gb per second speed.

Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

Our phones are dumb phones with no data service enabled. 4G is no benefit to us at this point.

To each his own; I couldn't even imagine life without a smartphone these days. That's not a snarky remark, I'm serious. I use the phone for so many things every day that I'd feel totally cut-off from the world without it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

To each his own; I couldn't even imagine life without a smartphone these days. That's not a snarky remark, I'm serious. I use the phone for so many things every day that I'd feel totally cut-off from the world without it.

Well we are retired and have laptops in our home office. Also have Kindle Fires for when we are out and about. My eyes just won't handle that little print on smart phones in any case. I can sure see how they would be great for some folks though.

Honda Accord toad.

Archived