What the heck kind of caulk is that?

Desertswimmer

As we were cleaning our rig I noticed that the caulking was in serious trouble and coming off. It's on the cab where it meets the coach so the bead runs from the bottom up to above both cab doors and around to and across the front. It was white.

Thank God no leaks! So we got all the really old stuff out. The problem is we've been unsuccessful in finding out if the caulk is Dicor or something else.

So far, we've stayed away from putting a silicone type anywhere. Local RV supply store said silicone, 2nd store said no silicone. And our Owners manual that we are lucky enough to have doesn't say. By looking at Lazy Daze Companion I know that they used a polyurethane sealant, but don't know if that was for this area.

Any input very much appreciated! Just want to make sure before we put wrong kind on since this is a danger area for leaks on Class C's.

Thank you!

Jo

Fort Courage

1984 Lazy Daze Class C 22'

High Desert CA

Not surprising that the calking is giving out on a 31 year old RV. If the gap is not big, say less than 1/4" I would go with dicor. I really like dicor. It seems to stay flexible for years and sticks to everything I have put it on. I have not tried to get it to stick to silicon, probably won't stick to that.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

3M 5200 Fast Cure Marine adhesive sealant will do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-White/dp/B000XBFCUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427067523&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+5200+fast+cure

Be sure to thoroughly clean and prep the area(s) to be sealed. I suggest masking off the seam lines before applying the 5200; it is heavy, sticky, and isn't conducive to "do overs"!

Thank you for the replies and the link on the 5200 fast cure. That sounds like a better choice for us since its a higher stress area and the gap is closer to being 3/4". With the constant flex action between the cab and coach the 5200 should be just the ticket. Also appreciate the masking suggestion. :)

It is amazing that there was ANY of the old caulk left. lol Glad it worked for so long. :)

Jo

Fort Courage

1984 Lazy Daze Class C 22'

High Desert CA

Thank you for the replies and the link on the 5200 fast cure. That sounds like a better choice for us since its a higher stress area and the gap is closer to being 3/4". With the constant flex action between the cab and coach the 5200 should be just the ticket. Also appreciate the masking suggestion. :)

It is amazing that there was ANY of the old caulk left. lol Glad it worked for so long. :)

At 3/4" I would fill the 'gap' with the 5200 ; let it cure and then apply roof repair tape over . I use a tape very similar to etrnabond : http://www.eternabond.com/ .

I've had this tape on the cap to coach seam for about 4 years and there is no sign of it coming undone or deteriorating .

Goes around , comes around .

• 1 month later...

Archived