Texas Vehicle Inspection

Onthego

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been stopped after 5 days. That is the grace period as the trooper told me while writing the ticket. I believe when you cross the state line you have 5 days. Ok, how do they know when you crossed? Just my 2 cents worth.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I usually have a receipt or two from the state I just left. I have gone 3 years without returning to the state. One p/u I had was titled and tagged in Polk Cty. Tx. and never was inspected in Tx. I did take the risk of passing through the Tx panhandle even stopping at the state entry rest stop at Amarillo since I was going straight through.

Our inspection stickers expired last fall. Is there a grace period when you reenter the state? Thanks.

Jeff

Here's the information from the Texas.gov website:

The Department of Public Safety extends the time within which a certificate of inspection shall be obtained by a resident owner or operator of a Texas-registered vehicle, when the vehicle has no valid inspection certificate. The extension will be granted only on the first occasion of operation in this state during an inspection year and only until the resident owner or operator of the vehicle has arrived at his home, station, or destination in this state and for three days thereafter.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

You don't have to wait till you get "home" for inspection. You can get it anywhere in the state With the exception of those who live in areas that require emissions testing. IE: I am a Polk Cty. resident but had my last inspection done in Texarkana.

In Florida now going to New Braunfels. I've taken to the same place both times in the past. First time they took the motorhome for a drive but not the second time. I'd like to go to the same place so maybe they won't feel the need to go for a ride. Do they usually take them for a drive?

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Never had anyone take mh for a drive. One place took my old pickup for a drive. They are supposed to check brakes for effectiveness ...guess some do it by driving it. Most do it by driving the vehicle into their shop.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

New Braunfelds is a good place to get the inspection. If you stop in the Houston, Dallas, or El Paso and their surrounding counties, they will do an emissions test as well as the safety test. No emissions test in New Braunfelds/San Antonio area.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

A few years ago I went for an inspection on myP/U in Corsicana Tx and was refused since it was misting rain. The guy explained that they could be subject to a large fine and/or loss of their inspection license if caught.

Guess I missed something ...if caught doing what ...inspection when raining?

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

We are overdue and coming into Texas through New Mexico in a Couple of weeks. Anyone have a good inspection referral around Amarillo?

Have used Groneman Service, 1001 Vega Blvd, Vega TX 79092, ph: 806-267-2206 on several occasions. Use exit 35 (US66) to just before intersection with US385 on right side. We have 1-ton & 5th wheel. They inspected both without any trouble. We park on street just before the station and tell them why we're there. They've accomodated us everytime within a short period of waiting. When finished, turn south on US385 go a short way to a D.Q. on East side of street (parking in rear) for a treat before getting back on the Big Road. Or, you can continue East on US66 to pick up I-40 on east edge of town. Hope this helps...

Dodge 1-ton Diesel, Heartland Bighorn

"Living the Dream"

Pretty much every vehicle inspection I've ever had done in Texas (over 30 years) has involved driving the vehicle so that the brakes could be tested. I've has a few inspections refused on rainy days as the braking test couldn't be carried out effectively or safely. But I've only ever had cars and pick-ups inspected so don't know if they typically take a MH out for a drive.

I've owned a travel trailer or fifth wheel for over ten years now and never gotten the annual inspection redone for the trailers. Hooking the trailer up to take it to a station so that they can see that the lights and breakaway switch work has never struck me as a must-do item. I would guess that most stations wouldn't have a clue as to what to inspect on a fifth-wheel. I don't believe that they are required to take the tow rig and trailer out to check the brakes, and I wouldn't be too keen on allowing the local inspection guy to take out my combo and try a hard stop with it.

I've never heard of someone being ticketed for a lapsed inspection on a trailer. On my first fifth wheel the sticker was up in the bedroom window which was tinted and about 9 feet up in the air. You couldn't read that sticker without binoculars or a ladder. Our current trailer has the sticker on the kingpin and it is not visible when hooked up unless the rig is stopped and one looks into the bed of the pickup.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of a ticket being issued for a lapsed inspection sticker on a trailer?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Anyone have a good inspection referral around Amarillo?

There are 10 possible locations listed in the TX-DOT website.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of a ticket being issued for a lapsed inspection sticker on a trailer?

That is a question that I have asked many times over the years and to date, I have never heard of one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

They were not allowed to do the test if it was raining or I would assume ice or snow. It was the first time I had ever had this happen but maybe I had never tried to get one while it was raining.

On the ticket question I remember getting one on a motorcycle in Dallas that was excused when I could show that I had fixed the issue and got the inspection. I also got a warning on a car or truck. These were years ago. The motorcycle was when I was a teenager.

I just re-read that this was in regard to a trailer and I have no knowledge of this happening on a trailer.

Edited by bigjim

I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket on a trailer. Frankly, I have never had my trailer inspected other than the first time. That is pretty common in TX. Does not make it legal, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Trailers and 5th wheels now must have a current inspection when sold.

Is this true for a private sale? I believe that it was true in the past for dealers, but we have two neighbors who have sold an RV in the past year and I know that neither of them had a current inspection sticker............. Another neighbor just bought a different fifth wheel and has his old one listed as well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI