Smart or Street legal UTV?

CDR

Howdy!

We have a street legal Yamaha Rhino licensed in AZ. I have found very few states that permit you to use them on the roadway and it so your limited to roadways under 45 mph. We have also found that Rv parks, campground etc... do not permit you to use them on their property, even through golf carts are. Thats why we now have a Smart Car.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

On other tidbit nobody's mentioned"...............smart is cheaper.

Not cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, cheaper to register, cheaper to operate or lighter, more compact, more off-road capable, more versatile (can take 2 people in 2 opposite directions at once) than my pair of $1,100, 100 MPG motorbikes.

OK, no antilock brakes, traction control, air bags, AC or heat, but let's see your Smart car (or a UTV for that matter) pop a cool wheelie - or get any airtime off a sweet jump. I'm just sayin'..... B)

equhdl.jpg

Here's me when I was a little (OK maybe more than a little) younger jumping my 1971 CL175 Honda.

swfwva.jpg

Chip

We watched the world championship UTV race in Laughlin, NV this year. The UTV's were averaging about 60 mph on a tight course with jumps. I guess they had to be hitting 80 or more on the straightaway. The UTV's followed the motorcycles on the same course. We were told most had invested around $30,000 in performance parts after purchasing the UTV's for around $20,000.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We watched the world championship UTV race in Laughlin, NV this year. The UTV's were averaging about 60 mph on a tight course with jumps. I guess they had to be hitting 80 or more on the straightaway. The UTV's followed the motorcycles on the same course. We were told most had invested around $30,000 in performance parts after purchasing the UTV's for around $20,000.

That was a great event. I wasn't able to make it out, but it was very well received in the UTV industry. That was the largest UTV race in history. They did well.

That's about right on the price of the parts added. Here's the details of my current RZR XP 1000 - http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/Polaris-RZR-XP-1000-Race-Build

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

BMzero;

Nice Razor! But our needs require a Ranger, Rangers have the cab option and can haul things. Not as good at serious play like the Razor. But a lot more modern comforts.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Randy;

I have an 2013 Ranger 800 "mid" LE. 9.5 inches of travel ,50hp stock ,1000lbs and right at 52-53(W) X 110 (L) X under 6ft with stock sized tires. A rare one indeed! This model was only offered in 2013 thus the (Limited Edition).They stopped putting the 800 in the mid this year, now only the single 570 (40hp) model is offered. As you can tell I'm still excited!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Big5er;

Out west here, (Northwest). From Washington to Montana down to Arizona/New Mexico ( minus Cal.) With the $170 street kit offered by Rocky Mountain ATV , They are legal in 35mph and under zones (depending on city ordinance) on city streets . So to run to the store or play in the dirt they are legal, in some of the south eastern states also. Most states have 35mph streets that circumnavigate the state.

As to the climate control systems they have better HVAC systems then a Smart could ever have, more hp! A fully enclosed cab is offered by the OEM's and aftermarkets, with glass windows and wipers and defrost.

I just put this out there for discussion, but now looking at it from the dollars to cents mode. aka thanks for the prod! I bet the UTV will last longer than a Smart, for one most motorcycle shops can rebuild them. You can get parts for them all. Most are faster than any Smart. Can't take a Smart up a rock strewn road, at speed. Can't haul 1000lbs or pull 2000lbs with a Smart. Haven't seen a 4wd Smart yet. Should I go on?

Your probably right, should sell the UTV and get a Smart? Not.

As I stated in another post, it might not work for others. But it's perfect for us!

Cheers Bro,

If your ever out West give me a hollar!

Would you please give some specific names of places in the state of Washington where I can ride my Polaris Ranger on public roads. Roads, not trails.

'98 Volvo, '03 Newmar Mountain Aire 5er,
'07 Polaris Ranger
Part timing all the time

photo-25557.jpg?__rand=0.62441800+135093

Mopips;

Every county east of the Cascades allow street legal UTV's, the town of Granite Falls north east of Seattle, city of Puyallup south of Seattle, Thurston county soth of Seattle. I know there's more, just haven't had time to explore them all. In metropolitan areas it's up to the local jurisdiction, outside of them County rules apply. Washington DOL has them listed.

Hope this helps.

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Archived