MATS show - Possible dinner meetup

adept99

For you folks coming to the MATS show thought an informal dinner might be in order. Look up a place called Doc Crow's. Got good oysters, great brisket sandwich for not being in TX, and nice casual atmosphere. It's downtown next to the YUM center but on Thursday there is no evening event to create havoc with parking. Friday night is Marshall Tucker, so kinda came up with Thursday by default. Maybe 12-15 minutes from the Fairgrounds. Place stays fairly busy, so if we have much over 6 folks, we ought to give 'em a heads up.

All those in favor please raise your hand...

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Be prepared for a long wait at most resturants that week.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Yeah, we live here and you are correct. Doc's does take reservations, which helos some.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Sounds possible and desirable. A little depends on the weather. Should be early enough

So we don't need to ride after dark. Second St looks like a trip on a week day near quitting time. B)

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Well, I had planned to just do a day trip, but that sounds fun.

Update:

Bride and I are coming back from the Smokies on Weds. She suggested we detour and spend Weds night near Louisville, do the show Thursday, go out to eat, then head home. Dang, I love that woman.

So Paul, do you have a suggestion where we might look out far enough to not get soaked on a motel? Maybe we ought to look closer to Lexington, as we'd be coming from that direction.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Count me in as well.

For hotels, your best bets are probably going to be Frankfort or Lexington. Since you're talking about Wednesday (only?), you should be able to still find a room in the Louisville area, though there isn't a whole lot to choose from.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Or just stay with your entire rig at the Fairgrounds Lot L $50, you won't find a room for that. We showing up there Wed PM

That lot may not be packed for a one nite stand, If you can, sure makes it easy to walk over to the show and all. Think cheaper

without utilities, give them a call.

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

There are no reasonable campgrounds near Louisville except Grandma's ($30) and the KOA ($45) down here in Shepherdsville (exit 116) on I-65, which is about 15 easy miles to the Fairgrounds. There are two others listed, one is actually in Indiana, in the middle of a two year bridge construction project, and TINY. The other one provides a vast array of jiggly bars and issues firearms as you check in. As to hotels/motels, define soaked. Usual prices around here are approaching $80-$100 / nite, never mind what show is in town. I'll see what I can find.

If you can dry camp, I could get 1 rig in my driveway. That said, backing a trailer in here is challenging if you aren't used to it. Nuke-e, you would do fine. Tractor only would do fine. There are a few low hanging branches, but nothing serious.

To keep from hijacking the forum, please contact me at http://adept1948@gmail.com. Tell me what accomodation you need, (Motel, campsite, pull thru, etc), what direction you're coming from, whether you intend to go to dinner or not, and a contact number/email. I'm not much of a travel agent but maybe I can keep you out of too much trouble.

Paul

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Did some checking this morning. Hotel/Motel accomodations at this point are going to be catch as catch can and all of them will be $100-$150/night. Wednesday night is fairly open, from Thursday on, full up.

Grandma's will have a few sites, and the KOA will have 2 pull thru's ($50) & a couple of back-ins. I suppose I could make the supreme effort & get our rig opened back up for spring. Maybe I could trade that for some detailing help on the motorcycle I'm selling.

Paul

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Things are looking good for us to be near Louisville Weds. evening, then to the show Thursday. No camping rig, just my little girly truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

OK folks, time to firm up a few plans

I count 7-10 people - how many of you are actually going to dinner so I can make a reservation.

Is 6:00 Thursday OK for dinner or earlier or later?

Nuke-e; I can fit your rig in at our place with water and 30 amp power. Can dump gray water here, Dump station if necessary at the Loves Station down the street. (If not Nuke-e, another truck is welcome.)

Between Paula & I, we can haul 4 people, besides us, in our vehicles. Anybody else got small vehicles or do I need to break out the Toy Draggin truck?

Any other issues?

Paul

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

We, Jen and I, think 6 PM would be great. Been a couple of years since I stayed down there

at the Galt House but kinda remember the area. It the weather is not bad we ride the bike down,

but will bet the toter would be a challenge to park down there. Count us in.

Yamaha V-Star
ThermoKing TriPack

There is plenty of both free and paid truck parking available. The free is across the street with a free shuttle. The paid is next to the campground parking.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Paul,

I appreciate the offer, but right now I'm just planning on bringing the car (probably driving back to Knoxville late Thursday night). 6 is fine by me for dinner.

David

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Parking will be available true, it will be crowded and you may hike a ways to get in the building. This is one if Louisville's largest trade shows. Expect long lines, large crowds. A must is a pork shop sandwich, sold out in the front parking lot. With that said it is an event everyone interested in the trucking industry should attend. Oh and if possible do not go on Saturday, it is a zoo.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Reservations are made for 8 people for 6:00 PM on Thursday 3/26/15 at Doc Crow's at 2nd & Main in downtown Louisville.

From the Fairgrounds, go out the main gate and follow the signs for I-65 N (Makes a weird loop & looks like you are going into the airport - it's ok, just follow the signs)

Once on I-65 N, run 5 mile north to X-136A or B, either works equally well. Get off the Xway & keep heading North. After 6-8 blocks you will come to W. Main St, which is One Way west (left). Turn Left.

Proceed 2 blocks, go past Doc Crow's, and turn right onto 2nd street, a little bitty street between the bridge traffic and the pizza joint on the corner.

Go 2 blocks down the hill and under the bridge to Witherspoon St. Turn Right & go to 1st street. Turn Right. Park somewhere. Doc Crow's is up the hill to W Main and 1 block west (to the right back toward the bridge). Do Not try to park on Washington St,, at a minimum you'll get a ticket, and maybe even a trip to the impound lot.

If you aren't staying at the show, we'll need a place to hook up to make sure everyone has a ride. We can do that Wed evening or Thursday at the show.

Safe travels.

Paul

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

My plan is to park the pickup out with the campers on Thursday. Will that work,or is there a better way for us to meet up?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Obviously I haven't been obvious enuff. The show is on the grounds of the Fairgrounds (KY Fair & Exposition Center). The cost of parking is NOT included in the price of admission to the show, whether free or not. That means that if you park on the show grounds, you will pay $8.00. If you leave the grounds, there are no Pass-Outs. So, when you return from wherever, you will get to pay another $8.00.

The exception is that if you are camping at the show, you get an in/out pass for your tow vehicle and a 2nd one for whatever other vehicle you have.

The point here being that you don't want to leave your car inside the fairgrounds when we go to dinner unless you are in fact camping there. Parking downtown, as I described earlier is on the street at a meter that becomes a free 6:00 PM. You may need to ride around the block a time or two to find a spot, but they're free and close. There are, within a block or so, parking lots & garages, most of which will cost $8 to $12 for the evening.

My thought was to get everybody gathered up in one spot, eliminate the excess vehicles, and head out. With that in mind, the free lot and shuttle deal to Papa Johns stadium could work, or, the bowling lanes parking lot next to the main gate. Facing the fairgrounds from the expressway, the bowling alley is about 200 yards the the left of the main gate on the right hand side.

I'm shooting in the dark here because I really don't know anyone else's plans. If Rickeieio and Nuke-e leave for home directly after dinner, most of this ceases to be important.

And just to keep things interesting, my back has gone AWOL and my first stop will be the hoveround buggy vendor.

Call or write!

Paul

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Yes, actually we do have room for one more. Come on down.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Plans have been altered on my end. We came home last night and will get to the show around 10:00a. Will likely still park with the campers, if they let me.

We won't be able to bring anyone else back to the grounds, as we're driving a 2 seater. :(

Should we play tag in the show? I wouldn't mind meeting some of you earlier in the day. Anyone interested can reach me at: 5one3-two84-six927. Call anytime........

Wife and I are wearing matching black shirts w/ an ear of corn above the pocket.

I will not have access to this site after I post now, as I have a dumb phone.

Looking forward to meeting y'all. :)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Well, we had quality v. quantity at last nights supper gathering. Only 6 of us, but we had a lively chat and great food. I finally got to meet Paul and Paula, Nuke-E and Scrap. Now I can put some more faces to posts.

Thanks to Paul for herding us together.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived