Now Hiring GasLine Survey Will Train

rearnold

If you are having trouble with Southern Cross not calling you back, call my supervisor Gene Booth at 972-529-7679. If he not answering his cell, he is probly travling, just leave a message that you would like to talk to him about hiring on. He will call you back. Tell him Bob Arnold told you to call him.

Bob

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Bob,

This is a very interesting topic for me because, although I would like to be a f/t rv'er, I still need income in order to do it. I have not yet figured out how to make my first million, unfortunately.

Someone earlier asked a question about husband/wife teams. I never did see an answer to it so I'm wondering if one can hire on as the tech and the other as the assistant. If so, I am assuming both will receive an hourly wage but only one vehicle allowance.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Bob

USN (Ret)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

No I do not not know him. How the AR job going.

Currenlty I'm at home in the Rio Grande valley (mission) waiting for assignment. I told Gene I would do small jobs for him this winter, if the were close to me and I could make it home on weekend. usally I take the winter off , but they are short handed the winter.

Hope to work with you also,

Bob

There is a small park in Penitas, just west of our Park (Hidden Valley Ranch) we lived in before we bought this place. My mother stays ther in the winter, so I feel comfortable in recomening this park. Call 956-581-9719 and speak to the owner. I know their rent is reasonable and the park is quite and clean. Small club house, swiming pool, laundry. No wifi.

Another way is to stop at the information Rest stop and ask for informations on parks in the valley.

The prices are in a wide range, as are the parks.

The park I live in is owned by each lot owner, and they do have some for rent each year. I'll check and see what is available if you want.

Price range 300-400 a month.

Bob

Bob

My wife and I spent the Christmas Holidays in Zapata a couple of years ago. Still working full time with SCC won't draw SS for another year. Gene is talking about work in KA, CO and UT next year but we won't go west at this time. Family requirements. Still we could work together down the road and that would be nice.

Re Jan and Don's questions about where to stay, if they don't need to be on the coast there are several inexpensive cg's in Zapata as you probably know.

Leonard

Don't care to work to far west. Co expensive, Ka to stormy.

On my way to do a small job with west Texas gas for Gene. About 7 small towns 2 to 3 days each. La Pryor is the first place, then on to Somerset.Agree to help out this winter on short jobs, be home on weekends. This also paid my way home from Columbus, Ms.

Give me a shout when you get back to Zapata.

Bob

• 1 month later...

I just hate to let this thread "die out". My wife and I have been discussing this type work and we may very well give this company a try when we get everything settled. I just retired in August at 52 so we can still do this type work with no problems. We are best friends and I think we could make a great team doing this.

Dan & Teri Gregg

WD0AFQ

GMC Classic, Class A/Vibe GT

http://www.danandteri.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks Bob.

Can you give us a run-down of what a typical day on the job is like? I'm sure different assignments are not always the same. But if you could describe a day in your working life - I think people would like to read about it.

This year I'll start on 12th march in Breckenridge,Tx. This job will last about a month. I'll pick up area maps on the 12th from the Gas co. I start on one map and work until I'm finished. I usally turn my work in on Friday, usless I have a Leak thAT THE gas company needs to fix right away. I usally work 9-10 hrs aday 5 days a week. My choice (company only requires 8 hrs). Most of my day is spented walking the gaslines along the street or roads, then up to the meters. I cover 3-5 miles a day. I don't work on rainey days. If I find a leak, I grade it,draw a map of the leak and turn in into the gas co on friday. This is not hard work, but you need to be in good health. Some of or guys are in their late 70s. About an hour a day I spend on paper work to document my time and work. I send that to Southern Cross (SCC) on Friday. I get paid direct to bank each Friday.

I'll start off work in Breckenridge, Graham, Weatherford and Mineral Wells, Texas for Texas Gas. Then I'll go maybe to Denton, Tx or somewhere else. I 'll work untill the end of October.

Southern Cross is a good company to work with. Twice last ( 1 week and a month) year I had to leave a job because of family matters. No problem, told me to give them a call when I went back to job. If the job had a time requirement SCC would have sent a replacement.

When assignments come out an you don't want to work in that area, no problem they call someone else. You don't go to bottom of list. After you have worked for them a while SCC knows which areas you prefer. I usally like to work in Tx, MS, GA, and AL.

Send me a email if you want any more information, you can also go to the beginning of this thread and read thru it. It will answer most of your question.

BoB

Bob

I talked with my supervisor about new hires today. This is a update on pay. New hires strat at 8.00 an hour , with a travel allowance of 180. per week. This will go up as you stay with the company. For those Teams that do transmittion lines the pay for the helper is 6.00 an hour. These are usally 2 people who live together. Ie husband and wife.

I have had people to say that they didn't hear back from SCC, when the sent in their application. This application has to be hand written, so your writing may not be what we are looking for. The map and reports you send in each week, are offical records of gasline inspection and maybe used in court. Also your Health and background may not be in your favor.

So if you have not heard from them in a reasonable amount of time, just send me a note and I track it down. with all companys the staff is expected to do more with less and things fall thru the cracks.

If you need more information just drop me a line.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

OK! Now don't any of you guys laugh. Is there any chance that a Segway would work for this job. I know they have some new models. I think they can go up to 20 miles more or less on a battery charge. I was wondering if there would be much of a problem with terrain. They do have some off road units but with only two wheels they would still be limited.

Ron, Linda & Finn Dog
Sticks 'n' Bricks