Dish Network Bait & Switch?

This past Friday, 7/10/15, I contacted Dish Network to change from DirecTv to Dish. This was due to posts I read here about using Dish in the RV and paying $7/month per receiver.

On Friday, I called, spoke to a rep, who quoted me the following: Local channels, American Top 200, High Def for life, free upgrade to DVR Hopper, free installation and activation. RV service would be, as I said, $7/month per receiver. After the main acc't was set up then I would need to call their RV dept to have the RV service added to the acc't. The promo was only available with a automatic credit card charge or checking direct debit.

The price for those receivers, from Dish, was $49. The receivers are HD, but compatible with non-HD TV's.

The price quoted, for the 1st 12 months was $65.99/12 months promo, then $74.99.

Today, 7/12/15, I attempted to chat online with a representative. However, the rep disconnected me 3 times. After the 3rd time I called Dish.

I spoke with another rep. I referred them to their computer to use my phone number for lookup. The first rep said, after I asked, that our conversation was noted on the computer for another rep to see, as there was no way he could ensure I would speak to him when I called back. The rep did say that the notes were there, and confirmed the prices I was given.

We decided to talk it over, then call back to place the order. After placing the order we were going to order a refurbished Flex portable antenna from PPL Motorhomes. The antenna was $396 + $10 shipping. An excellent price I thought.

So, I called back to place the order. The rep, a different one again, took my SSN and DOB. I was told that my credit did not qualify me for that promotional.

I, naturally, objected. The rep said that the previous 2 reps did not run my credit, as they were supposed to do. The rep said it was impossible to have the promo. The same package would cost nearly $200, plus installation, but the $7/month for the RV.

I asked to speak with a Manager. I was connected to a Cliff Colson, a manager.

He stated that the rep was right about the credit requirement, and that all their reps are trained to qualify a new customer before quoting a price.

However, that wasn't done, not once, but twice with the first 2 reps.

He offered a different package which would have cost in excess of $250 for equipment, insurance, and installation. The units for the RV were not available from Dish, but at retail outlets. I wanted to get the units from Dish, based on the $49 quote, since the retail purchase was approximately $89 each.

We spoke on the phone for over and hour, but he wouldn't budge, even though I spoke with the first 2 reps.

He said that he can't help it if the first 2 reps didn't advise about the credit check, as my authorization would be needed.

He actually got testy, if you will. I said I only wanted what I was quoted, but he refused. Again, he stated about their reps being trained, but they have hired so many new reps in the last year; and, again, that it wasn't possible to ensure all the reps followed the training and protocol of the credit check advisory.

So, in the end, he refused to honor the first quote and the verification of that quote. He asked for the reps names, which I gave him, but he said without more information, full names - they only give you their first name - and no other information.

I pressed him and I got that info about him, but it was like pulling teeth.

He insisted it wasn't bait and switch, regardless of any quotes and the changes after the 3rd rep ran a credit check.

I stated that as a manager that he should be able to make adjustments, under these circumstances. I asked to speak with someone higher, and he said there wasn't any, and that he wasn't able to make an adjustment.

I didn't think an adjustment was necessary - just what was quoted, but I proffered that question anyway.

Now, when you talk to Dish you are advised that the call could be recorded. Mr. Colson state that all calls are recorded; but, they can't listen to all tapes, which sounds sensible. But in this case I suggested, because there was a dispute, that the tapes be pulled and my statements could be verified. Again, he said, without more employee information, he would not be able to locate those tapes. I reminded him about the computer information which should have the reps name and employee number on them. He just passed over that, not acknowledging that it should be there, and the tapes could be pulled. As far as the notes were concerned, he only said that perhaps the rep did make notes, on paper, just for himself, in case we somehow could talk to each other again.

After pressing him about whether, or not, the quoted price would be given, he evaded the question and kept saying that he could only give me what he could based on credit information - no more, and no less - no promos, nothing.

I told him that my question only required a yes or no answer, which he kept evading.

I finally got him to say No he couldn't give me what was quoted.

He repeatedly said that this wasn't bait and switch, but I'm sure it is. It is a crime, regardless of the type of crime. I know this based on my job with a municipal government in consumer protection. He finally asked what other questions I had, or what he could help me with. So, we started down the full story again, to no avail.

So, my reason for this long post, is to let everyone know of my experience, and that the buyer beware is a very true statement.

I'm not sure how others will feel about this, but I do believe my bait and switch statement is more than true, that its not my fault (and I told him that) that 2 of his people did not adhere to their "training". My only feeling was that hook you with the promo then later, saying your credit wasn't good enough, and it would be a much higher price. My request for the credit information was ignored.

Again, if you are contemplating going with Dish Network, you better make your own recordings, keeping accurate notes of the conversations, as I did, with the names, dates and times, and the substance of the conversation.

My next step here to file complaints as appropriate, with nothing less than the FCC and my State's Attorney Generals office, as a started.

So, there you have it. Bait and Switch, rudeness and little regard for a customer.

I'm curious if other members have similar incidents. I would be interested as I would like to tell the agencies there's a pattern.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to communication with you.

Al

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

Before I did anything else I think I would pull a credit report and see if there is anything there that would warrant a refusal to provide you with hundreds of dollars worth of equipment at a discount, in expectation of recovering the money through your meeting your monthly payment obligations. If something is wrong in your credit report, you need to address it.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Question? If your credit report was the problem what is the issue?

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I'm not surprised you had conflicting information from multiple service reps, that's pretty common.

Dish does not charge a receiver fee for the first receiver, only the second and subsequent ones. They do charge a DVR fee for a Hopper though. The HD for Life is dependent on having paperless billing and autopay. The Flex dish is not what you want to use with a multiple tuner receiver like a Hopper, since it will only point to one satellite at a time.

Sounds like you should stay with Direct TV.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The OTA / Netflix is a good alternative but if you watch a lot of sports it's not. We've been with Dish many years. A while back, my neighbor Ben, wanted to to go to satellite service. First, he tried Direct but they refused him due to poor credit. I suggested Dish and he said the same thing... Got his account all setup and then they ran a credit report and it was below their standards so no go.

Every commercial has that 'approved credit' in the fine print as does the site. You were doomed one way or the other.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

I have spent way to much time on the phone in the last 90 days with AT&T after switching my mother to their TV/Internet/Phone service. Improperly installed to start, didn't put the phone line in. Improperly billed for the install. New modem went out in the first month. Not one of the first 3 bills have been correct & we have never been billed the quoted initial offering & I can't get them to recognize the initial quote. I can't say that I was ever asked about a credit check and would wonder, if you have a credit issue (in their eyes) why would they except you at a higher rate?

Frustrated, to say the least.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

This past Friday, 7/10/15, I contacted Dish Network to change from DirecTv to Dish. This was due to posts I read here about using Dish in the RV and paying $7/month per receiver.

On Friday, I called, spoke to a rep, who quoted me the following: Local channels, American Top 200, High Def for life, free upgrade to DVR Hopper, free installation and activation. RV service would be, as I said, $7/month per receiver. After the main acc't was set up then I would need to call their RV dept to have the RV service added to the acc't. The promo was only available with a automatic credit card charge or checking direct debit.

The price for those receivers, from Dish, was $49. The receivers are HD, but compatible with non-HD TV's.

The price quoted, for the 1st 12 months was $65.99/12 months promo, then $74.99.

Today, 7/12/15, I attempted to chat online with a representative. However, the rep disconnected me 3 times. After the 3rd time I called Dish.

I spoke with another rep. I referred them to their computer to use my phone number for lookup. The first rep said, after I asked, that our conversation was noted on the computer for another rep to see, as there was no way he could ensure I would speak to him when I called back. The rep did say that the notes were there, and confirmed the prices I was given.

We decided to talk it over, then call back to place the order. After placing the order we were going to order a refurbished Flex portable antenna from PPL Motorhomes. The antenna was $396 + $10 shipping. An excellent price I thought.

So, I called back to place the order. The rep, a different one again, took my SSN and DOB. I was told that my credit did not qualify me for that promotional.

I, naturally, objected. The rep said that the previous 2 reps did not run my credit, as they were supposed to do. The rep said it was impossible to have the promo. The same package would cost nearly $200, plus installation, but the $7/month for the RV.

I asked to speak with a Manager. I was connected to a Cliff Colson, a manager.

He stated that the rep was right about the credit requirement, and that all their reps are trained to qualify a new customer before quoting a price.

However, that wasn't done, not once, but twice with the first 2 reps.

He offered a different package which would have cost in excess of $250 for equipment, insurance, and installation. The units for the RV were not available from Dish, but at retail outlets. I wanted to get the units from Dish, based on the $49 quote, since the retail purchase was approximately $89 each.

We spoke on the phone for over and hour, but he wouldn't budge, even though I spoke with the first 2 reps.

He said that he can't help it if the first 2 reps didn't advise about the credit check, as my authorization would be needed.

He actually got testy, if you will. I said I only wanted what I was quoted, but he refused. Again, he stated about their reps being trained, but they have hired so many new reps in the last year; and, again, that it wasn't possible to ensure all the reps followed the training and protocol of the credit check advisory.

So, in the end, he refused to honor the first quote and the verification of that quote. He asked for the reps names, which I gave him, but he said without more information, full names - they only give you their first name - and no other information.

I pressed him and I got that info about him, but it was like pulling teeth.

He insisted it wasn't bait and switch, regardless of any quotes and the changes after the 3rd rep ran a credit check.

I stated that as a manager that he should be able to make adjustments, under these circumstances. I asked to speak with someone higher, and he said there wasn't any, and that he wasn't able to make an adjustment.

I didn't think an adjustment was necessary - just what was quoted, but I proffered that question anyway.

Now, when you talk to Dish you are advised that the call could be recorded. Mr. Colson state that all calls are recorded; but, they can't listen to all tapes, which sounds sensible. But in this case I suggested, because there was a dispute, that the tapes be pulled and my statements could be verified. Again, he said, without more employee information, he would not be able to locate those tapes. I reminded him about the computer information which should have the reps name and employee number on them. He just passed over that, not acknowledging that it should be there, and the tapes could be pulled. As far as the notes were concerned, he only said that perhaps the rep did make notes, on paper, just for himself, in case we somehow could talk to each other again.

After pressing him about whether, or not, the quoted price would be given, he evaded the question and kept saying that he could only give me what he could based on credit information - no more, and no less - no promos, nothing.

I told him that my question only required a yes or no answer, which he kept evading.

I finally got him to say No he couldn't give me what was quoted.

He repeatedly said that this wasn't bait and switch, but I'm sure it is. It is a crime, regardless of the type of crime. I know this based on my job with a municipal government in consumer protection. He finally asked what other questions I had, or what he could help me with. So, we started down the full story again, to no avail.

So, my reason for this long post, is to let everyone know of my experience, and that the buyer beware is a very true statement.

I'm not sure how others will feel about this, but I do believe my bait and switch statement is more than true, that its not my fault (and I told him that) that 2 of his people did not adhere to their "training". My only feeling was that hook you with the promo then later, saying your credit wasn't good enough, and it would be a much higher price. My request for the credit information was ignored.

Again, if you are contemplating going with Dish Network, you better make your own recordings, keeping accurate notes of the conversations, as I did, with the names, dates and times, and the substance of the conversation.

My next step here to file complaints as appropriate, with nothing less than the FCC and my State's Attorney Generals office, as a started.

So, there you have it. Bait and Switch, rudeness and little regard for a customer.

I'm curious if other members have similar incidents. I would be interested as I would like to tell the agencies there's a pattern.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to communication with you.

Al

AL, you have to make sure your state allows you to record a conversation. Make sure you advise the other party that you are recording and make sure you get that warning recorded also.

As others stated you need to get your credit report and see what is in there. It might just be that you have more liabilities than assets.

Phaeton10 - thanks for your info.

I didn't record the message. They did. They let you know that it will be recorded.

That's why I said they should listen to their tapes to verify the incident.

Al

Skp #98641
My Email

They will listen to the tapes and use them to teach the first two employees to run credit checks

before offering promo discounts. Since you didn't take their offer and you were going to call back,

they are not obligated to give you the discounts. If the discounts require a high credit rate then you have

then I don't see any bait and switch?

My feeling is that it is bait and switch:

1. My initial call to Dish
  2. The offer by the representative
  3. The failure, if actually required, by the representative to request credit info and run it.
  4. The fact that is not my responsibility to ensure their representative does what he's been taught to do.
  5. That the supervisor did not check immediately what the conversation was, then supporting the offer.
  6. That the supervisor should have the ability to make a unilateral decision based on previous, verifiable information.
  7. That the supervisor refused to, or even offered, to ascertain the contents of the conversation.
  8. That the supervisor said it doesn't matter what the representative said, nor an additional, different representative
  9. That the supervisor said that he would give me another service without the advertised promotions.

I have received more mailings and daily emails from dish offering the identical package that was discussed on my very first call.

To me this is bait and switch, how one could assume its anything else is beyond me.

Al

Skp #98641
My Email

If the first two employees had told you that you could have gotten all that you wanted for one dollar, would

you expect Dish to have honored that deal? If the first two employees made a mistake, you didn't take the deal,

you were going to think about it and call back. When you called back they didn't give you the deal. It is not what I would consider bait and switch.

File a complaint, maybe it will be resolved in your favor.

The question you should ask yourself is, do you really want to give a company like that any of your money? They wouldn't get a dime from me. Just imagine the poor customer service you will get from them in the future (and how much they will jack up your rates at the first opportunity.

I say kick them to the curb. That's why I have Direct TV (not mobile yet though.)

Chip

I want to state something on the record. EACH AND EVERY NOTE ON YOUR ACCOUNT IS A LEGAL AND BINDING STATEMENT IN A COURT OF LAW....that should be enough for them to stop making you jump through their mumbo jumbo. It isn't your fault their reps didn't check your credit, the offer and acceptance was there. The first not ONE, but TWO gave and documented the offer. Thats a legal binding contract. At least in my state and has saved me from corporate fraud once with Sprint.

Home is where you park your heart, or your tires for the night.

I was told that my credit did not qualify me for that promotional.

If you do not qualify for the deal, how is that a bait and switch? If you had accepted the deal, and they had signed you up and THEN told you otherwise and that you could only have something else, that would might be a bait and switch...hence the expression "bait and SWITCH". You do not qualify for the deal. How is that their fault? They made you an OFFER. I would be willing to bet the first and second rep would have checked your credit and found that you didn't qualify before they entered into a contract with you also. They explained the OFFER and you couldn't decide. Contrary to the previous poster, an "offer" is not a contract until it is completed and accepted by both parties. You never accepted it and when you finally decided that you would take their offer, they declined based on your credit score. Watch every car ad on TV offering 0% financing. They offered that deal, right? But if your credit sucks they are not going to give you the car for 0% no matter how many reps and managers you talk to. I got an email from Good Sam the other day offering a lower interest rate than I currently have. When I called they told me I don't qualify for THAT rate but offered me a different one. Is that a bait and switch? Fix your credit score and try again.

I've had Dish for several years. I have had no issues with their customer service. I change service addresses regularly and have no issues with that, with upgrading my packages or even when I down graded a few years back. This thread is more about your credit (or lack thereof) than Dish doing you wrong.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er, what you say does make sense.

However, in my situation, the original person was going to sign me up. No question about credit. He was going to do it, plain and simple.

The 2nd person, whom I called to verify the offer, after talking to the wife, was going to do the same. Again, no question about it; and, she verified everything the 1st person had said.

It wasn't until I was wanted to ink the deal that the question of credit came up, and then I was told they could do this and that.

Again, if the first two were ready to sign me up, with no question about credit, until we were going to consumate the deal, then to me that is bait and switch.

It might not be in your book, but in mine it is. I was never informed about what was questionable in my credit, just that it had been unqualified for the package they kept emailing and mailing about.

So, in order to sign me up, I was eligible for a package that was more expensive.

BTW, 2 days later I bought a car - at a very good rate.

I did make a complaint with my local consumer agency, and they're investigating. I doubt they would take that on, with such a large company, if there wasn't anything there.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Al

Skp #98641
My Email

Archived