• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#181 LittleBittyLiving Janis

LittleBittyLiving Janis

• All Members
  • 3 posts
  • SKP#:126292

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

Invest in a solar panel and stay at least part of the time in free off-grid campsites and you'll have no problem living on $25k a year!  This past winter I spent 6 months in AZ and spent a grand total of about $70 on campsites. I full-time on well under $10k a year.  I could live like a QUEEN on $25k! 

Janis   www.littlebittyliving.com

#182 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,778 posts
  • SKP#:79313

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

It would be nice to have an option to order a DVD of the forum contents each year, something you could browse off-line or after the live stuff has scrolled off. Again that comes down to who would do the work and how they'd get paid.

A lonnnnng time ago, I used WebWhacker.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire DP 4095 / 2009 Honda CRV
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

#183 Legendsk

Legendsk

• Validated Members
  • 117 posts
  • SKP#:118003

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

To me, the definition of "rich" is having more money than you need or want.  How much income you have is pretty much out of your control.  You get the best education you can, work as hard as you can, and you will get what people are willing to pay you for what you do.  How much wealth you need is mostly out of your control.  Healthcare costs are so outrageous at this point that it can be an enormous factor.  The other amount is how much wealth do you want?  That one is totally within your control.

If you learn to live well within your means and invest the excess carefully, your investment will rapidly grow and as your income rises, provide even more for investment.  It was amazing to me how quickly this philosophy works.

If you are the sort of person who covets the nice possessions of others, lusts after everything advertised on television and wants every new thing they see, it might be difficult for you live a happy live, no matter how much wealth you amass.

I was born in a house with a dirt floor and half grown before we got electricity and indoor plumbing.  Of course I learned how to live (and be quite happy) with next to nothing.  I worked my way through college and continued to expand my education at every opportunity and still do.  My social security is around $24,000 per year which allows me to invest at least 20% of that annually.  I have some IRA accounts that require me to take a minimum distribution every year, but I simply dump that back into investment accounts.  I don't do that particularly because it makes me happy, but may as well, because I have everything I need - or - want.

I guess I could buy one of my great-great-grandkids a new house or a new car and if that honestly made them happy, then I would do it, because that would make me happy too.  BUT, I have lived long enough and seen enough to clearly understand that it might briefly please them, but in the long run will make them less happy.  My goal is to to stay out of their way and as much as I can, try to help them figure out what will make them happy and how they can get there.  Because that's what is important and doesn't have anything to do with a specific amount of wealth or even particular possessions.

I can just wander through the world, trying my best to make it a better place and I can do that for well under $25,000 per year.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

#184 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

If you are the sort of person who covets the nice possessions of others, lusts after everything advertised on television and wants every new thing they see, it might be difficult for you live a happy live, no matter how much wealth you amass.

I can just wander through the world, trying my best to make it a better place and I can do that for well under $25,000 per year.

I'm hoping there's some wiggle room between under $25K a year and "lusting & coveting". Or, as Oliver Twist said . . .

oliver_twist_david_lean_0.jpg

"Please, sir, I want some more"

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

#185 Legendsk

Legendsk

• Validated Members
  • 117 posts
  • SKP#:118003

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

That's my point, Zulu.  If the goal is to be happy, it doesn't have anything to do with money or a budget.  If the goal is to have the most (or at least as many as possible) toys when you die, then money will be one of the issues.

I suppose there are those who would feel full timing in an RV is one small step up from being homeless and not at all a satisfactory way to live - and they certainly wouldn't be happy doing it.  But it is certainly possible below $25,000. 

Each person will have to figure out what will make them happy.  Living in an RV is inexpensive enough compared to living in an S&B to free up a lot of resources for other things.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

#186 sandsys

sandsys

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 7,543 posts
  • SKP#:99753

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

Living in an RV is inexpensive enough compared to living in an S&B to free up a lot of resources for other things.

I would replace "is" with "can be". Some people have a hard time with the concept of living inexpensively.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

#187 Zulu

Zulu

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

If the goal is to be happy, it doesn't have anything to do with money or a budget.

Remember, happiness can't buy money.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

#188 kinseypw

kinseypw

• Validated Members
  • 97 posts
  • SKP#:118734

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

Our total income last year was under $20K and we lived happily. Many "Could this get any better?" moments, many many more than when I worked fulltime and spent most nights watching TV. Money does bring security, Its nice to know that a truck problem can be fixed right now and you wont have to eat Ramen noodles for 6 months to pay for it. Problem is that many of us make/have made huge sacrifices in our happiness to get a small amount of security. Security that can disappear in a moment in the current economic climate. I'm working on having a lifestyle that doesnt use much in the way of resources and so doesnt need as much security so I dont have to work so hard to get it. Solar is a must along with boondocking all the time. Plus you get to meet such nice people!!

#189 rpsinc

rpsinc

• Validated Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Our total income last year was under $20K and we lived happily. Many "Could this get any better?" moments, many many more than when I worked fulltime and spent most nights watching TV. Money does bring security, Its nice to know that a truck problem can be fixed right now and you wont have to eat Ramen noodles for 6 months to pay for it. Problem is that many of us make/have made huge sacrifices in our happiness to get a small amount of security. Security that can disappear in a moment in the current economic climate. I'm working on having a lifestyle that doesnt use much in the way of resources and so doesnt need as much security so I dont have to work so hard to get it. Solar is a must along with boondocking all the time. Plus you get to meet such nice people!!

Thank you for sharing that real life experience.  I am working on getting to that point and am doing the financial planning to figure out what that monthly income numer is.  Good to know what is possible for what cost.  And for your sharing the costless benefits of the lifestyle.  We're on our way and so far enjoying the journey but am looking forward to a new journey in the future, one without the hub bub of "work" because I have to.

Marcel