Are older KVH TracVisions worthless for DISH?

My KVH TracVision R4SL stopped working a few days ago. When I searched online for a possible solution, I came across the attached technical bulletin from KVH. Apparently, I can now only use the 119 degree satellite.

I would think there would be a lot of noise on the forums about this... but I haven't seen anything.

Am I the only one still using one of these systems on my RV?

Any suggestions for replacement?

Ron

16_T_LND_2.pdf

Ron Clanton
Cary, NC

KE7NJ

2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ
2015 Lexus GS460

2014 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

Which receiver do you have There is a a lot of old receivers that no longer work because of the termination of QPSK encoding too.

I prefer the Winegard Trav'ler automatic roof dish.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I'm using the VIP211k, which still works fine with DISH. We've purchased a King Tailgater, which also uses the VIP211k. We like it a lot! I don't think I'll ever put another dome or antenna on the roof... really no need... and at about one-third the cost. However, if I did buy another dish, I think it would be the Trav'ler.

I just wish that KVH would supply an updated circuit board (or whatever) that would upgrade my existing system.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron Clanton
Cary, NC

KE7NJ

2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ
2015 Lexus GS460

just wish that KVH would supply an updated circuit board (or whatever) that would upgrade my existing system.

Wishing doesn't fall in line with the amount to design, test, and produce a new board for an extremely small market to compensate for something totally out of their control.

I had a Winegard AS-2003 that stopped working because Dish put two more satellites in orbit that confused the seeking circuit. The cost of a new board would have been prohibited.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Wishing doesn't fall in line with the amount to design, test, and produce a new board for an extremely small market to compensate for something totally out of their control.

I had a Winegard AS-2003 that stopped working because Dish put two more satellites in orbit that confused the seeking circuit. The cost of a new board would have been prohibited.

Yeah, I get that. It's just tough to take that an antenna they were selling just a couple of years ago for $1,200 is now virtually obsolete. I guess it's just the nature of the beast. Buying my new tailgater seems like the best solution for now... When it goes obsolete, I will only be out $350! Plus, it won't be stuck to the roof of my motorhome!

Ron

Ron Clanton
Cary, NC

KE7NJ

2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ
2015 Lexus GS460

Buying my new tailgater seems like the best solution for now... When it goes obsolete, I will only be out $350! Plus, it won't be stuck to the roof of my motorhome!

If you travel around the country, buy a Winegard X2 instead -- it can acquire both DISH's Western and Eastern Arc sats. The Tailgater can only pick up the Western Arc sats.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

That KVH technical bulletin explains why my old KVH dome quit working properly. Thanks for posting. My KVH dish was a hand me down from a friend so I didn't have a lot of money invested in it (luckily). It worked decently for a couple of years, but sometimes had problems locking onto satellites. Then at the end of last year it basically couldn't find any satellites (now I know why). I figured I got my monies worth out of it and finally gave up on it and bought a Trav'ler. The Trav'ler is SO MUCH nicer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

If you travel around the country, buy a Winegard X2 instead -- it can acquire both DISH's Western and Eastern Arc sats. The Tailgater can only pick up the Western Arc sats.

I didn't look at that one... but thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'll look at it when my Tailgater goes obsolete!

Ron Clanton
Cary, NC

KE7NJ

2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ
2015 Lexus GS460

That KVH technical bulletin explains why my old KVH dome quit working properly. Thanks for posting. My KVH dish was a hand me down from a friend so I didn't have a lot of money invested in it (luckily). It worked decently for a couple of years, but sometimes had problems locking onto satellites. Then at the end of last year it basically couldn't find any satellites (now I know why). I figured I got my monies worth out of it and finally gave up on it and bought a Trav'ler. The Trav'ler is SO MUCH nicer.

Yeah, we lost 61.5 orbital last year (for the same reason). Plus, there was a fairly major update that had to be applied to the board in the summer to keep it working properly. Now that we've lost the 110 and 129 orbitals, we've only got 119. Basically this means that we can mostly only get standard definition in most areas.

What's really amazing is that they are still selling these antennas on Amazon!

Ron Clanton
Cary, NC

KE7NJ

2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ
2015 Lexus GS460

Archived