Dish dropping western arc locals

For those folks using the Tailgater or any other western arc only Dish antenna setup, as of Aug 1st, the following local channel markets will only be available on the eastern arc birds as reported by Scott Greczkowski at Satellite Guys:

Albany NY
Boston MA
Buffalo, NY
Burlington, VT / Plattsburgh NY
Chattanooga, TN
Evansville, IN
Jackson MS
Jacksonville FL / Brunswick GA
Lansing MI
Madison WI
Panama City FL
Portland/Auburn ME
Presque Isle, ME
Quincy IL / Hannibal MO
Rockford IL
Springfield MO
Tallahassee FL / Thomsonvile GA
Wheeling WV / Stubenville OH

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

This is a bummer. I didn't mind having only SD Locals when in these markets.

Now my option will be a ground tripod dish with an EA LNBF.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

This is a bummer. I didn't mind having only SD Locals when in these markets.

Now my option will be a ground tripod dish with an EA LNBF.

Yeah, I have both LNBF's for my tripod mounted 1K4 dish. It only takes a couple of minutes to swap them with just two screws to deal with. Plus the coax of course...

Dutch

Of if Winegard would come up with a way to set the skew of the Trav'ler when it is aimed at 61.5. 72 show up on the Switch check but does not pass the test since the skew is not set. 72-61.5 is not that much more than 119-110.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Of if Winegard would come up with a way to set the skew of the Trav'ler when it is aimed at 61.5. 72 show up on the Switch check but does not pass the test since the skew is not set. 72-61.5 is not that much more than 119-110.

I think you can do a 72° kludge with the Travler.

When I was testing the Hopper 3 with the Travler, I was able to get the 61.5° with Manual Mode. No surprise as this was possible with the DPP LNBFs.

But just for the hell of it, I tried to see exactly what happens when you try to get 72° in Manual Mode.

I let the Travler go through several passes . . . I forget the sat sequence, but during one sweep, the Travler Controller indicated "Unknown Satellite" which I thought might be 72°.

I let the Travler go through another acquisition sweep. When "unknown satellite" appeared this time, I unplugged the Controller which stopped the Travler in its tracks.

I used my Super Buddy to check the "unknown satellite" and found nothing -- until I moved the Travler a bit (it has some play in its Azimuth) -- then 72° showed up on my SB.

However, I hadn't unplugged the Controller exactly when "unknown satellite" appeared . . . and I was too tired to retest.

Time for someone else to give it a go.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Since I am mobile I can give Dish any physical address I want as my service address. So as an example, couldn't I give Dish an address near Orlando, FL even though I am physically located near Jacksonville, FL? According to this satellite spot beam map, Orlando covers much of the Jacksonville area. I give Dish a physical address, that I am never physically at, all the time out west.

I'm sure there are other spot beams like this. NY City covers a big chunk of New England, including Albany, NY for example.

I guess if you are in Maine, this wouldn't work, but most of the east coast should be OK.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Since I am mobile I can give Dish any physical address I want as my service address. So as an example, couldn't I give Dish an address near Orlando, FL even though I am physically located near Jacksonville, FL? According to this satellite spot beam map, Orlando covers much of the Jacksonville area. I give Dish a physical address, that I am never physically at, all the time out west.

I'm sure there are other spot beams like this. NY City covers a big chunk of New England, including Albany, NY for example.

I guess if you are in Maine, this wouldn't work, but most of the east coast should be OK.

If the NYC SD locals are ok, they're on 119 on a CONUS beam available anywhere in the country. I often don't bother changing locals when we make a short term move that stays within the previous locals spot beam. Sometimes I choose a locals location that covers three or four stops before changing service addresses.

Dutch

My billing & service addresses are currently Chattanooga, TN. I recently received an email from Dish asking me to call them to set an appointment for a tech to come out and replace my VIP722, "adjust" my dish, or do both. When I called, the person I talked with said it appears that they will only install a new Eastern Arch LNB on the existing dish. I asked why and was told it was so I would get a better picture. When I told him my picture was great and didn't see that it could be better he and I agreed to just leave things as they are for now.

Is this what is really going on and will I lose my locals using the WA LNB? If so, I already have an EA LNB that I can switch out myself and will go ahead and do so.

My dish is a 1000.2 mounted on a surveyors tripod. Works/Sets up great.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

According to the Dish announcement, the Chattanooga SD Local channels in the WA will go away. So you will receive everything else but your Locals.

Since you have the EA LNBF, you have the solution.

I would like to believe this will be temporary as Dish is reorganizing the WA since they have terminated QPSK (old transmission method) but I doubt it. The only real beneficiaries of the SD Locals were people with old receivers and RVers. The old receivers have been taken care of. That leaves RVers and we are a very small number.

And since the world has not stopped when DNS went away, the other solution for RVers would be a set of DNS channels is doubtful too.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I also still have the option of feeding locals to my VIP722 by using the batwing antenna and scanning them which places them on the guide and gives me the benefit of recording programs.

I have to wonder why the person I talked with didn't tell me the real reason they wanted to change my LNB to EA!

Will using the EA LNB give me locals in HD?

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Will using the EA LNB give me locals in HD?

If you are in a EA Locals area, yes.

As for the CSR, the "script" says you need to change, no why.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I have a Tailgater ( Western arc) and have never been able to receive Rockford IL locals due to contract issues so that would not be an issue. are there other locals that has not appeared on the western arc?

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

are there other locals that has not appeared on the western arc?

Until August, Locals have been in both Arcs, one in HD and one in SD. What is changing is that 21 markets listed in the first post will be dropping the SD Locals from the WA leaving only the HD Locals in the EA.

At this moment, Rockford is one of those markets where both the WA and the EA locals are in HD.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

This is why went my tailgater dies it will be replaced by a Pathway X2 unless they change their programing to get the EA.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

• 2 months later...

I am will be going to the Tampa area in the near future. I have a Winegard X1 WA. Will I be able to get anything on it in this area? Would locals be available in this area? Thanks in advance.

2006 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL w/ Mor/Ryde IS Suspension and Hydraulic Brakes

2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD w/B&W turnover hitch and Companion

I am will be going to the Tampa area in the near future. I have a Winegard X1 WA. Will I be able to get anything on it in this area? Would locals be available in this area? Thanks in advance.

I am currently in the Tampa area with a 1000.2 on Western Arc. The local channels, along with all the other programming, is working well at this time. Of course that could change in the future.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

If the NYC SD locals are ok, they're on 119 on a CONUS beam available anywhere in the country.

Wouldn't you have to give DISH a service address in NY? If so, then I could call DISH, give them a NY address and watch NYC locals even when I was in AZ, or elsewhere out West, during the winter...right?

I often don't bother changing locals when we make a short term move that stays within the previous locals spot beam.

We don't, either. Typically, we change service addresses only twice a year: One set of locals for when we're at home in the summer, and another set of locals for when we're in Arizona during the winter. Tucson locals cover all of the Arizona (and far eastern California) area where we travel as far north as at least Las Vegas.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Wouldn't you have to give DISH a service address in NY? If so, then I could call DISH, give them a NY address and watch NYC locals even when I was in AZ, or elsewhere out West, during the winter...right?

Nope. Unfortunately many look at the transponder lists and see the CONUS NY channels. Those are not use by NY subscribers. There are Spot Beams for the NY Locals.

Even when there was Dish DSN, the NY DNS channels were different transponders than the CONUS NY transponders. Not sure what Dish uses the CONUS transponders for but it is not for our reception.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Tampa has HD locals on both arcs.

I am currently in the Tampa area with a 1000.2 on Western Arc. The local channels, along with all the other programming, is working well at this time. Of course that could change in the future.

Remember that your 1000.2 has a lot more surface area than the X1 dish.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Nope. Unfortunately many look at the transponder lists and see the CONUS NY channels. Those are not use by NY subscribers. There are Spot Beams for the NY Locals.

OK, so how would I go about getting the NY CONUS channels? I don't remember ever seeing them when scrolling through channels looking for something to watch.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

You don't get NY CONUS channels. Dish uses them for other purposes that home and RV subscribers.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

The NYC DMA locals are available on a 119 sat CONUS feed. I used a Newburg, NY service address ZIP 12550 for testing, and easily got them in South Carolina.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall⊂=true&market=New%20York,%20NY

Dutch

The NYC DMA locals are available on a 119 sat CONUS feed. I used a Newburg, NY service address ZIP 12550 for testing, and easily got them in South Carolina.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall⊂=true&market=New%20York,%20NY

Thanks. Just curious, what receiver are you using?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Thanks. Just curious, what receiver are you using?

I used a VIP211K for that test, but I don't know of any reason the Hopper that replaced it wouldn't work as well.

Dutch

Archived