Mancos Colorado, West of the La Plata mountains and Durango

rebar

Hello.

I'm hoping to get boondocking info for the west side of La Plata mountains area.

Namely, if I can get my 30' toyhauler up the #566 road, or if a different road is better. The toy hauler has a 4" lift, but my tow vehicle is only 2wd..

Second, Iv learned I can dump black water south of durango at Santa Rita park, but I haven't pinpointed where to get cheap fresh water.

If you know, or have been to the area with suggestions, Id appreciate the info either here or with a PM.

Thanks!

1997 Ram ctd 4x4 5 speed 3.54

You can tow at least to where 566 splits. I definitely would not try to do the complete circle with that large of a rig without scouting it first. I don't know how rugged you like to get. You may find boondocking locations limited the further you go. It's pretty rugged country at the top. Lot's of folks go about halfway up, then set up camp and explore the top on their four wheelers and dirt bikes.

As far as another route to take, 566 goes to a specific area (Echo Creek) and there aren't alternative roads to get to that area in your rig. However, there are lot's of boondocker opportunities north of Mancos up 42 and 561 past the Mancos State Park. The access roads are better there also.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

You can tow at least to where 566 splits. I definitely would not try to do the complete circle with that large of a rig without scouting it first. I don't know how rugged you like to get. You may find boondocking locations limited the further you go. It's pretty rugged country at the top. Lot's of folks go about halfway up, then set up camp and explore the top on their four wheelers and dirt bikes.

As far as another route to take, 566 goes to a specific area (Echo Creek) and there aren't alternative roads to get to that area in your rig. However, there are lot's of boondocker opportunities north of Mancos up 42 and 561 past the Mancos State Park. The access roads are better there also.

Super! Thank you.

I don't get very rugged, as my van gets stuck in wet grass with its open differential. But it might get more traction with the toyhauler tongue weight.

It sounds like I better go up # 42 / 561 for a temporary site as I will be arriving late. Then scout out #566 the next day.

Can you tell me where to fill my fresh water tank close by? Or fill smaller containers to bring back if creek water isn't available?

Not sure where all the local cabins, camps, and homes who truck water in get it from. There's an RV Park/Campground just off CR44 as you start up 566 which may allow you to fill up with water for a fee. The rates are pretty high ($40) for overnight, but they may have provisions for water and sewer refresh. Here is their site, you might call them http://www.echobasin.com/rv-park/

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Not sure where all the local cabins, camps, and homes who truck water in get it from. There's an RV Park/Campground just off CR44 as you start up 566 which may allow you to fill up with water for a fee. The rates are pretty high ($40) for overnight, but they may have provisions for water and sewer refresh. Here is their site, you might call them http://www.echobasin.com/rv-park/

I will call them.

I'm also looking for a place that rents atv's for my girlfriend. Free Wifi hot spot would be great to.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

A lot of places out of town do not have water wells. The towns have a coin operated water dispenser. You see trucks with tanks on the back. They haul water for their house. I know where the one is in Cortez and Dolores. I don't remember seeing one in Mancos. Cortez also has a RV dump station and water at their utilities area.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Thanks Everyone.

I accepted a offer I could not refuse on my featherlite surv 7924. ;) Kind of bitter sweet. But my stress level has gone down considerably because of the white knuckle experiences I had pulling it through the Rockies.

I'm perfectly happy sitting on my deck in Iowa City Iowa watching the traffic go by because in all reality, I had a dream about camping in a quiet campground that never materialized.

If I ever do it again, I will sell my trail bike and buy some hiking boots and bear spray.

Thanks Everyone.

I accepted a offer I could not refuse on my featherlite surv 7924. ;) Kind of bitter sweet. But my stress level has gone down considerably because of the white knuckle experiences I had pulling it through the Rockies.

I'm perfectly happy sitting on my deck in Iowa City Iowa watching the traffic go by because in all reality, I had a dream about camping in a quiet campground that never materialized.

If I ever do it again, I will sell my trail bike and buy some hiking boots and bear spray.

It's too bad you never found the camp of your dreams . It is out there and likely a lot more than one .

But , whatever makes you happy .

Goes around , comes around .

It's too bad you never found the camp of your dreams . It is out there and likely a lot more than one .

But , whatever makes you happy .

I had a few nice ones.. But I should have known I couldn't be alone with a 24' toyhauler and 2wd. I need 4x4 and smaller rig so I can attempt it again.

So , it wasn't a total waste . You learned something , for sure . ;)

Absolutely not.

I checked off one of the things on my bucket list and then thanked god I made it home alive and well. Iv never felt so much feeling of accomplishment and self worth after finally concurring Monarch pass without catching on fire or almost rolling down it backwards with a engine I rebuild myself.

Absolutely not.

I checked off one of the things on my bucket list and then thanked god I made it home alive and well. Iv never felt so much feeling of accomplishment and self worth after finally concurring Monarch pass without catching on fire or almost rolling down it backwards with a engine I rebuild myself.

Be careful , that stuff can be addictive . :)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived