BLM closing 50% in Quartzsite

dkgood

Here is an article posted in a paper in Quartzsite. The right side of the highway toward parker is fenced and when you turn right on roads off hwy 95, after about two miles there are signs "no overnight camping" Oops, the file was to large to upload. Anyway, the BLM has closed 50 % of the land to overnight camping in La Paz County. Actually, you could contact Jennifer Jones, The Desert Freedom Press. She is on Facebook.

These are the links Jennifer Jones, publisher of the Freedom Press forwarded to me:

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-office/projects/nepa/34906/70447/77039/Mar_La_PosaTMP_EA.pdf

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/travel_mgmt/la_posa/maps.html

There is a link in the article but it is incomplete. This afternoon Jennifer Jones, publisher of the article, will post on facebook the comple link and other information about this matter. I will post this link soon as I get it.

On the first link, I get the message "The specified URL cannot be found."

On the second link, I can't open any of the .kmz files and the .pdf maps don't tell me anything (although I only opened the first one...I'm not going through each and every one to see what they may or may not tell me about any closures).

I did a Google search for possible BLM camping closures near Quartzsite and haven't come up with anything.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

try this URL

< https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-office/eplanning/planAndProjectSite.do?methodName=dispatchToPatternPage&currentPageId=45374 >

under Documents you'll find PDF versions of the new La Posa Travel Management Plan and associated maps

this recently approved Travel Management Plan (TMP) has been under development for the last 3 years, including several public hearings and a previous draft version. This is no surprise or headline news to anyone that was paying attention. The primary goal of the plan is to get control over the previous free for all of primitive roads running all over the desert in 10 different crisscrossing directions. This plan deals primarily with primitive 4x4, ATV or high clearance, unimproved type roads.

The roads now designated for closure are spread evenly over the 400,000 acres covered by this plan, and in most areas, where a road or a section of a road is closed, there are other roads in the same area that remain open.

None of the normal RV parking areas, LTVA's and the 5 - 14 day areas, are effected by this new plan. There is only a brief mention that the BLM promises to expand the support facilities at the LTVA and 14 day RV areas.

There is an indirect impact on remote dispersed camping outside the primary RV areas, since you can not camp in areas where there are no approved access roads. But the claim of 50% closure is an extreme over exaggeration based on what's shown in the new plan & maps; and most of the roads effected are in areas where very few RV's ever attempt to go.

Jim

Every time they close an area they should be required to close the same percentage of parking spaces at all BLM office and support facilities. Maybe if they can't get to work and park there will be fewer new regulations for the rest of us. After all, who owns this property and who works for us?

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

This is no surprise or headline news to anyone that was paying attention. The primary goal of the plan is to get control over the previous free for all of primitive roads running all over the desert in 10 different crisscrossing directions.

I knew about the travel plan, but hadn't ever hear about camping areas being closed. Good to know that it's not true.

But the claim of 50% closure is an extreme over exaggeration

Considering who the claim came from (Jennifer Jones), this isn't surprising.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Full disclosure: I publish Desert Messenger News and volunteer as Marketing Director for the new Quartzsite Area Chamber of Commerce & Tourism, serve on La Paz Tourism/Hospitality Committee, and member of the new Quartzsite Off-Road Consortium promoting Quartzsite off-road trails.

The article below was written by J.C. Sanders of Arizona Peace Trail, Inc

Published May 4, 2016 in response to the fallacious article referenced in this thread

"BLM’s La Posa Travel Management Plan Final on March 8, 2016

The La Posa Travel Management Plan for the Quartzsite area has finally been approved by the BLM. The plan addresses every unpaved trail, road and primitive road in an area south of the Plomosa Mountains to the Yuma Proving Grounds and Martinez Lake. The plan covers 538 square miles in La Paz County and 90 square miles in Yuma County. The total mileage of trails and roads area reflected in the Decision Record below.

[File is too big to be uploaded here, so see Page 3 at http://www.epageflip.net/i/675295-may-04-2016.]

At first glance it appears that approximately 45 percent of the trails are being closed but most do not understand that the total mileage includes almost every mark on the desert. It includes every tank track left by General Patton’s troops, old trails that have not been traveled in many years, and tracks made by a one-time traveler.

Two OHV clubs, the Bouse Ghost Riders and Quartzsite Arizona SunRiders, held public meetings for the general public to review the proposed TMP and submitted positive comments to the BLM identifying the trails we wanted to keep open and why we enjoyed riding those trails. Upon completion of the TMP on March 8, 2016, club members reviewed the final map and found very few trails “closed” that we ride and asked BLM to be left open. The few that were not shown “open”, such as Dripping Springs, have been closed for many years. Most of the trails within the inventory that are not shown “open” are those that have not been ridden for several years, are duplicate trails to the same place that do not constitute a loop ride, dead-end trails, cross trails that serve no purpose and the old tank tracks that are not ridden.

So, from the prospective of those who actually ride trails in our BLM lands, we are extremely happy that the trails we actually want to ride are included in the “open” category. This did not take place because we sat back and complained about the process. Many individuals got involved and learned the process and what was necessary to keep the trails we ride open. If there are some individual trails closed that someone wanted open, it is most likely because they never asked BLM to keep that specific trail open and did not give a specific reason for wanting it open."

Quartzsite is excited to announce the 150th Anniversary of its founding in 2017 and both chambers are working with Town Hall to create a year full of fun events. I hope this clears up the misguided information published by Jennifer Jones.

Every time they close an area they should be required to close the same percentage of parking spaces at all BLM office and support facilities. Maybe if they can't get to work and park there will be fewer new regulations for the rest of us. After all, who owns this property and who works for us?

I like it!! ..... I think this would work out quite well....... I like it!!

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

I like it!! ..... I think this would work out quite well....... I like it!!

You might want to read post #5 and #10 just to be sure that you understand what is actually being done, before you jump too far. In answer to the question of who owns that land, it belongs to every citizen and not just to those who want to run around the desert on off-road machines, throwing rocks & dirt and making lots of noise. It also belongs to the hikers who seek solitude, it belongs to the hard core environmentalists and to the 4-Wheel Environmentalists as well. The lands there belong to the Nature Conservancy members and to the Gem and Mineral Clubs. The public lands actually belong to everyone no matter what position they take on land use and access. We expect the people of the BLM and the federal lands managers to somehow protect the interests of each organized group and each one of us who happen to read something that grabs our interest. The fact is that there is no position which can be taken by those who are charged with managing the publicly owned lands that will keep everyone happy.

Fortunately for all of us, there are news sources like the Desert Messenger, which are published by people like Shanna that make the extra effort to make accurate information available to all, if we will only take advantage of their help.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Full disclosure: I publish Desert Messenger News and volunteer as Marketing Director for the new Quartzsite Area Chamber of Commerce & Tourism, serve on La Paz Tourism/Hospitality Committee, and member of the new Quartzsite Off-Road Consortium promoting Quartzsite off-road trails.

The article below was written by J.C. Sanders of Arizona Peace Trail, Inc

Published May 4, 2016 in response to the fallacious article referenced in this thread

Thank you for further clarifying the misinformation about camping areas being closed.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

You might want to read post #5 and #10 just to be sure that you understand what is actually being done, before you jump too far. In answer to the question of who owns that land, it belongs to every citizen and not just to those who want to run around the desert on off-road machines, throwing rocks & dirt and making lots of noise. It also belongs to the hikers who seek solitude, it belongs to the hard core environmentalists and to the 4-Wheel Environmentalists as well. The lands there belong to the Nature Conservancy members and to the Gem and Mineral Clubs. The public lands actually belong to everyone no matter what position they take on land use and access. We expect the people of the BLM and the federal lands managers to somehow protect the interests of each organized group and each one of us who happen to read something that grabs our interest. The fact is that there is no position which can be taken by those who are charged with managing the publicly owned lands that will keep everyone happy.

Fortunately for all of us, there are news sources like the Desert Messenger, which are published by people like Shanna that make the extra effort to make accurate information available to all, if we will only take advantage of their help.

I agree with your statement that they can't make everyone happy so what government usually does is wrong. They make decisions based on whatever minority group complains the loudest or whatever is easiest for them to defend. And most decisions are made by unelected bureaucrats that have never been outside their offices and wouldn't know what the land involved even looks like.

Maybe I'm wrong in this case, but we know we have too much government oversight at the federal level and not just by the BLM.

IMHO

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I agree with your statement that they can't make everyone happy so what government usually does is wrong. They make decisions based on whatever minority group complains the loudest or whatever is easiest for them to defend. And most decisions are made by unelected bureaucrats that have never been outside their offices and wouldn't know what the land involved even looks like.

Maybe I'm wrong in this case, but we know we have too much government oversight at the federal level and not just by the BLM.

IMHO

As a Forester I worked for the private sector, BLM, Forest Service and the National Park Service. I can personally tell you I took EVERY opportunity to get out of the office whenever possible!!

If you have an issue with public land management stop by or make an appointment to talk to one of the bureaucrats. It was the best part of my job, explaining why we did the things we did. As Kirk says, there are MANY pressures and issues involved with public land management. I always opened by books, gave background information, and then asked "what would you do??".

It was amazing how often the reply was "now I understand, not happy with it, but I understand".

Early in my career....and it was actually in the private sector I asked my boss for priorities in laying out timber sales. His reply, was brief, and I used it in my entire career both in private and public sectors. His take, "The first responsibility is to the land, the second is to the owner (public) and the last is to the company (agency). Almost all public land managers operate in a similar manner.

It is "comforting" to think that resource managers make decisions on who complains the loudest, but really they follow laws passed by Congress and the implementing regulations written to implement those laws. There are times, however, when decisions are made "for" them by the courts or the President. All Federal agencies, but two are part of the executive branch.

I just had a high powered corporate lawyer buy some property in my neighborhood. The major landowner in my "neighborhood" is the state of Washington Department of Natural Resources.

It was pretty funny as he was concerned about having the state government for a neighbor. I pointed out to him, that the state had to follow the management plan for the area, public meetings and notifications on management actions. Not to mention that all that had to be done under "due process". It is simpler,easier, and fairer dealing with a government agency than a private entity.

To prove my point....soon after he purchased the property Weyerhauser bought out Longview-Fibre and "mined" their lands and promptly put them up for sale.

Public employees owe you an honest explanation. If you run into me RV'ing I would be happy to discuss the issue with you.

And thanks for the 30 years of pretty good jobs in beautiful locations.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

As a Forester I worked for the private sector, BLM, Forest Service and the National Park Service. I can personally tell you I took EVERY opportunity to get out of the office whenever possible!!

If you have an issue with public land management stop by or make an appointment to talk to one of the bureaucrats. It was the best part of my job, explaining why we did the things we did. As Kirk says, there are MANY pressures and issues involved with public land management. I always opened by books, gave background information, and then asked "what would you do??".

It was amazing how often the reply was "now I understand, not happy with it, but I understand".

Early in my career....and it was actually in the private sector I asked my boss for priorities in laying out timber sales. His reply, was brief, and I used it in my entire career both in private and public sectors. His take, "The first responsibility is to the land, the second is to the owner (public) and the last is to the company (agency). Almost all public land managers operate in a similar manner.

It is "comforting" to think that resource managers make decisions on who complains the loudest, but really they follow laws passed by Congress and the implementing regulations written to implement those laws. There are times, however, when decisions are made "for" them by the courts or the President. All Federal agencies, but two are part of the executive branch.

I just had a high powered corporate lawyer buy some property in my neighborhood. The major landowner in my "neighborhood" is the state of Washington Department of Natural Resources.

It was pretty funny as he was concerned about having the state government for a neighbor. I pointed out to him, that the state had to follow the management plan for the area, public meetings and notifications on management actions. Not to mention that all that had to be done under "due process". It is simpler,easier, and fairer dealing with a government agency than a private entity.

To prove my point....soon after he purchased the property Weyerhauser bought out Longview-Fibre and "mined" their lands and promptly put them up for sale.

Public employees owe you an honest explanation. If you run into me RV'ing I would be happy to discuss the issue with you.

And thanks for the 30 years of pretty good jobs in beautiful locations.

Yes, Vladimir, but it is so much easier on my brain to believe that the private sector and the "free" market are always right and the gubermnt is always wrong.

I served as a board member of an irrigation nonprofit company. We managed the delivery of water to a number of ranchers and this water traversed Nation Forest land and BLM. I realize the Forest Service and BLM management job is not easy but we were at their mercy and that wasn't pleasant. Rules that often didn't make sense and would change with every new manager caused untold problems for us the ranchers trying to make a living. After my experience I also don't trust their decisions.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Rules that often didn't make sense and would change with every new manager caused untold problems for us the ranchers trying to make a living. After my experience I also don't trust their decisions.

You all seem to forget that the local employees are people who live in the communities and who are just trying to do the very best job that they can and to balance the various interest groups opinions, one against the other. Most of them are just honest working folks who are caught between the differing opinions of many special interest groups, including the local people as well as those far away who want to visit the area or possibly just to tell others what they should do. Between the many opposing opinions, it isn't possible for them to make everyone happy.

I know that it is popular to be critical of government today and must admit that I have my problems with them too, but I have found that most government employees are just people like us doing the very best job that they can.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, I didn,t forget the things you suggest. For instance I didn't forget that the National Forest Service illegally confiscated some of our water. This is a documented fact that required the assistance of our elected officials and a court oder to slow this assault. While many of the local personnel were even sympathetic to our problems the direction mandated by each new manager or even new administration would often dictate all new methods and procedures. Suddenly, often with short or no notice the ways of one manager were no longer acceptable. All of the maintenance of our facilities on Government land required permits with operational details. Another time a manager informed us that we needed to keep our ditch banks clean by cutting growth ,including samplings. After a couple of years a new managers staff questioned why were were doing that. We were told we didn't need to do that and they didn't want us to continue. A third manager told us that since we let the growth grow we were no longer allowed to remove trees as needed for maintenance. These trees were now to large according to their rules to allow removal. This required us to drain 60 miles of irrigation ditches and let these dry so heavy equipment could travel in the ditches instead of on the bank. Shuttig off a ranchers water is a terrible economic blow.

By suggesting that I seem to have forgotten that these are just local hard working people suggests that I should accept and even endorse this bizarre behavior. I do not. And I have not forgotten the many more examples I could write about.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

UPDATE:

A Quartzsite resident and ATV enthusiast, Mark Goldberg, has been doing lots of research for an upcoming Quartzsite off-road atlas. We're all concerned about false information being distributed.

Mark selected an area of the BLM Travel Management Plan, at random, to show what changes were ACTUALLY made. The area is Gold Nugget Road vicinity, east of town. He emailed me the following info:

"In the attached graphic, trails "open to all uses" and trails "limited to authorized user/admin use only" are shown. There are three main areas where trails are 'LIMITED' [not CLOSED]. No trails are "closed." The terminology of the plan is, "Limited."

As shown, the majority of public use trails remain so in this area. The limited areas are limited for GOOD reason, and do not unduly restrict access by the casual off-road enthusiast. In this area, the key points of interest are the Gold Nugget Mine, and the Belle of Arizona Mine (just south of the map limits). All existing trails to and through these sites remain "open to all uses." It is also my understanding that there will not be "road closed" signs, or barricades posted on the limited trails. The only knowledge one would have of such limited use would be from reading a BLM map, at such time as one is available....

From what I can tell, people who "pan" the BLM for the "closures" have not read or studied the plan...or else I am missing something big.

In addition, BLM has worked wonderfully well with the Arizona Peace Trail Group to create one of the most important off-road adventures in the State. I do not think they deserve the bad rap...."

So here ya go...

post-55249-0-90550700-1465523490_thumb.jpg

Archived