Satellite TV and internet bundled?

We're Dish customers and receive ads in the mail all the time for their combined TV/Internet packages. However, as Mark says, their Internet service is meant for stationary locations and can't be used if you're traveling.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

DirecTV offers sat TV/Internet/phone bundles using various partners such as Exede and Hughes Gen4 for sat Internet (spot beamed, not suited to mobile RV'ers), and AT&T (no surprise there!), Verizon, etc. for phone service.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Sounds like it is a cousin of the AT&T program, U-verse which is internet and cable TV bundled.

Yes, except you can't get it all on one wire... Or dish. :D

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dish uses spot beam Internet, not very good for RVers.

That may have changed with Real Time Communications (RTC) new portable Ka band SpaceWay dish:

• $1000 for portable dish and DAPT with squinter. RTC says 45-min dish setup. Check out this YouTube DAPT setup video (it's not RTC's dish, but you'll get the picture)
  • $120/month for 20GB (that's Verizon's new pricing!)
  • Max 5Mbps download / 1Gbps upload
  • 18-month contract
  • Only available in the Continental US

That last one was a deal killer for me. More info here.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

It seems lately everyone is referring to the download speed of the newer satellite Internet services.

If all you do is file transfer, fine. But you cannot ignore the latency of satellite Internet. Even at the speed of light, 22,500 miles up and 22,500 miles down to the Earth station and then is some cases 22,500 miles up and then 22,5000 miles down to the nearest wired Internet access point and then repeat the process for the returned message can make interactive web pages very slow.

But access anywhere is an asset, if you are using a CONUS wide satellite which HugesNet is depreciating in favor of spot beams.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Last a year and a half ago when I was checking out internet options I looked at the DirectTV bundle. They used Century Link as the internet provider at that time. Century was slow compared to Charter and after the intro price not really very much cheaper even bundled. I went with Charter and kept Direct as my TV source.

Charter is running 38.69 Mbps download and 4.27 Mbps upload at my house no data limit.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

• 5 weeks later...

Last a year and a half ago when I was checking out internet options I looked at the DirectTV bundle. They used Century Link as the internet provider at that time. Century was slow compared to Charter and after the intro price not really very much cheaper even bundled. I went with Charter and kept Direct as my TV source.

Charter is running 38.69 Mbps download and 4.27 Mbps upload at my house no data limit.

That is decent speed if you live is a HOUSE. I would be real happy if Charter would figure out how I could get that sort of speed in my RV. And a really LONG spool of cable is not a viable option.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

That is decent speed if you live is a HOUSE. I would be real happy if Charter would figure out how I could get that sort of speed in my RV. And a really LONG spool of cable is not a viable option.

One advantage to buying the S&B. After so many years with a Verizon data plan - starting with very slow pre 1g speeds in 2002 then 1g at 2.4 kbps. The speeds and unlimited data available at a fixed location are pretty nice.

Still miss full timing sometimes though.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

One advantage to buying the S&B.

. . . or a campground that has cable modem capabilities. My current campground allows them and those high speeds (& essentially unlimited data) for $45/month (includes the modem).

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived